Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Hepburn Hepburn b.1885

Benjamin Hepburn Hepburn b.1885

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 1:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Apr 2013 2:29PM GMT
Surnames: Hepburn
Hi. I am trying to find out the full name of my ancestor Benjamin Hepburn Hepburn's wife. Benjamin left East Lothian in Scotland and emigrated to USA in 1910 on the Columbia. He seems to have returned to Scotland in the next year because he 'arrives' in New York again in 1912. In about 1914 he married Jessie Ann b.1898 a New Yorker of Italian family and they had a son in 1915 who was also called Benjamin Hepburn Hepburn showing an alarming lack of imagination!
I can't find any trace of their marriage and therefore no surname or family details for Jessie. I am using Ancestry worldwide membership but have no idea where else to go. If anyone can tell me where else to look I would be very grateful
Many thanks Alison

Re: Benjamin Hepburn Hepburn, SCOTLAND > NY > OR

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 2:19PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 5 Apr 2013 2:23PM GMT
Surnames: HEPBURN
looing at the 1920/30 census & his Nat. papers I would take it her name was "Tessie" (Tessie Ann shown on Nat. papers) rather than Jessie which, would make sense with a persons tree on Anc which states her name as Theresa Buchioni - died Sep 1964 Nassau County, NY

Also, on the NY 1915 census her name is spelt T..isa in Rhinebeck, Dutchess

HOWEVER, I cannot find anything to substantiate this

I did a chuckle with your "alarming lack of imagination" - 1st born sons were normally called the same as dad - carry on the line and all that...

JFI
Ben (sr) died 1949 in Nassau Co.

+
jr
Birth august 1915 in Rhinebeck, Dutchess, New York
Death 02 february 1982 in Beaverton, Washington, Oregon

It should show his mums name

Name: Benjamin H Hepburn
Birth Date: 20 Aug 1915
Death Date: 3 Feb 1982
Death Place: Multnomah
Spouse: Margar
Certificate: 82-02835

&/or
Name: Benjamin Hepburn
SSN: 068-10-6560
Last Residence: 97005 Beaverton, Washington, Oregon
Born: 20 Aug 1915
Died: Feb 1982
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 3:19PM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2013 10:14PM GMT
Thank you, I assumed that Tessie was a misspelling of Jessie but it makes sense. I have found the tree you were talking about and it might fit although I can't find Tessie Buchioni anywhere else on the net and that tree only has 6 people on it which is a bit frustrating.
Benjamin's father was called Benjamin Hepburn Hepburn because his parents were first cousins and had the same surname. Now that was a bad marriage and you would think that they would want to get away from the past!
Thank you for all your help, it gives me something to go on.
Alison

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 4:30PM GMT
Not sure is this will help but try spelling the last name as Bucchioni.

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 11:26AM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2013 10:14PM GMT
Thank you, that has turned up quite a few, not the right ones yet but now I have them in my sights!
Alison

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 12:35AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2013 12:57AM GMT
According to The Rhinebeck NY Gazette 24 Oct 1914 p5

...Miss Bucchioni Married...

Miss Theresa Bucchioni, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Torello Bucchioni of this village and Benjamin H. Hepburn also of Rhinebeck were married on September twenty-fourth at Hoboken N.J., by the Rev. Joseph D. Peters of the First Reformed church of Hoboken. This New Jersey ceremony was supplemented by a second one performed in this village last Saturday evening by Justice Stillwell. This was Mr. Stillwell's first ceremony. Mr. Hepburn is a native of Scotland and is now engineer for the Rhinebeck Water Company.

ALSO...
The Rhinebeck NY Gazette 17 Sep 1964 p4

....Mrs. Benjamin Hepburn.....
"Word has been received of the
death Sept. 7 of Mrs. Benjamin
Hepburn, the former Theresa Bucchioni of Rhinebeck. Funeral
services were held last Thursday on Long Island - Mr. Hepburn was a former owner of the Community Garage in this village."

~Brad Hepburn

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 2:27AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2013 2:31AM GMT
Long Island City New York Star Journal
August 13, 1940
Marriage Licenses

Hepburn-Groth - Benjamin H. Hepburn Jr., 24 of 46 Maple Road, Inwood and Margaret C. Groth, 23 of 10-10 149th St. Whitestone

POUGHKEEPSIE NY DAILY EAGLE SEPTEMBER 29, 1934
TORELLO BUCCHIONI DIES AT HOME HERE

Torello Bucchioni,70, Rhinebeck fruit and candy dealer, died at his home Thursday night after a long illness.
The funeral will be held from the Church of the Good Shepherd, Rhinebeck, at 10 O'clock Monday morning and burial will be in Rhinebeck Cemetery.
Mr. Bucchioni was a native of Italy and had lived in Rhinebeck 38 years. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Devoll Bucchioni; five children, Mrs. J. Guilfoil, Mrs. B.H. Hepburn, and Mrs. C. Olowatsky, Marion and Daniel Bucchioni and 10 grandchildren.

There was an obit for Torello's son that listed his name as Mario rather than Marion. Mario's mother's name was given as Deserata.

RHINEBECK NEW YORK GAZETTE
SEPTEMBER 17, 1898

Desiderata Bucchioni wife of Torello Bucchioni died at her home on East Market Street on Thursday September 15, age 28 years. She leaves a husband and three small children, the youngest being but eight months old. The deceased was a sister of Alex Mamini who has fruit stores in Saugerties and Wappinger Falls.

You can find more obits and articles at this free site
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Another article has Desiderata's last name spelled as Mammini.

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 8:31AM GMT
Thank you both of you!
What a lovely start to the day, I turned on my computer and found this help when I had thought I had reached the end of the road researching Benjamin.
This line is the one in my family tree that I find most fascinating, it contains bigamy, the Australian gold rush, bankruptcy and many other things I didn't expect to find. I have a real fondness for these people despite the fact that they are long gone and dream of one day finding out more about them so you can imagine how thrilled I was to find this information here this morning.
Many thanks
Alison

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 6:45AM GMT
Hi - I am new to this site but Benjamin Hepburn Hepburn was my grandfather- can verify Theresa Buchioni was his mother. Family lore says BHH senior fought in boar war and there are rumors about Australia and gold rush - I'd be quite curious to hear what you've learned. Thanks -

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 9:06AM GMT
Hi Susan
It's lovely to hear from you and I have quite a lot of information about our Hepburn family.
I don't know much about the Boer War, I think he may have been a bit young (I will look into it) but the connection to the Gold Rush is right and you can add Bigamy, Bankruptcy and Illegitimacy to that, it's a fascinating part of the family. I will send you everything I have, my e-mail is alison@nedof2h.net if you want to contact me.
I would love to know anything you can add from your end, as soon as they left Scotland it became much more difficult for me to follow them.
I am looking forward to hearing from you
Alison
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions