Search for content in message boards

WILKINSON

WILKINSON

Posted: 20 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 9:41AM GMT
Surnames: Wilkinson, Webb
WILKINSON of Isle of Wight, Va. William Wilkinson, born @1650/60 was married to Elizabeth Webb, daughter of James Webb and his wife Elizabeth Godwin of Nansemond. I am looking for the parents of William Wilkinson. William and Elizabeth had probably sons - William, John, and possibly Richard. It is believed that John moved to Surry and he and wife Agnes had children William, John and Richard. I have a lot of information and will be glad to share.
Posted: 18 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Dec 2002 5:42PM GMT
Surnames: wilkinson, wilkerson, young, dudley
I am researching Wilkersons in Granville County, NC. John, David, and William came from Virginia around 1760, but they were all born in Virginia. I have found families in Isle of Wight, but I have no clear links. I would love to hear if any of your Wilkinsons came to NC. Family names in the Wilkerson line include Young and Dudley.

WILKINSON

Posted: 23 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Wilkinson, Webb
Isle of Wight, Wilkinson. According to what I found the Wilkinsons of Surry/Sussex Counties were descended from the Wilkinsons of Isle of Wight. A Richard Wilkinson was in the records of I of W as early as 1670's. Later, there was a William, John and Richard, Jr.. There are other theories but this one is presented in the book, "Reliques of The Rives" by John Rives Childs. I have not been able to carry the line back further than William Wilkinson of I of W who married Elizabeth Webb, daughter of James Webb and his wife Elizabeth Godwin of Nansemond. I know nothing about any of the I of W Wilkinsons going to NC.. I do know that William Wilkinson of Sussex and his wife Elizabeth (Stith ?) had two sons that moved to NC after the Rev. War. They would be brothers of my direct line John Wilkinson and his wife Martha "Patsy" Rives of Sussex. One of them might have been William and the other James. I am not certain of the later. I never found a David in my line anywhere. That includes collaterals. The names William, John, Thomas and Richard were frequently found. I am sorry that I can not be more definite about this but I have not been able to conclusively resolve this matter even for my line. I would suggest Surry and Sussex Counties as places to search as well as Greensville and Brunswick. I will be glad to discuss this further if you would like.

Wilkinson/Wilkerson

Posted: 24 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: WILKINSON
Don't pay much attention to the spelling. Wilkinson, Wilkerson, Wilkason, Wilkison, were all used in the court house records concerning the same family. In fact, sometimes you find the different spellings in the same document. If I had stuck to Wilkinson as the only spelling, I would not have gotten very far. The variations in spelling occurred as the clerk spelled it as he heard it. Many times the clerk changed and different people spelled it differently. Greensville County is right on the border with NC and might also be a place to look. Surry/Sussex records survived and they are good counties to research in if you suspect that they might have originated there. Good luck and let me know if you solve it. As I told you, William, John and Thomas were frequently used names in my line and collateral lines, but I never say a David Wilkinson in all my research. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

wilkinson/wilkerson NC

Edited: 17 Dec 2002 5:42PM GMT
Surnames: wilkinson, wilkerson
thanks for your input on the Isle of Wight Wilkinsons. By the time my group showed up in NC, before the war, they had become Wilkersons. I have lots of info on them after the move, if anyone wants it. I am going to look into Brunswick first, because the men were supposedly from Lunenburg County, VA, but since it wasn't formed until 1746, any records of births, etc, would be elsewhere (they were born around 1730). Any other suggestions or info greatly appreciated.

Moving

Bette Dew (View posts)
Surnames: Dew, Shearer, Cotton
What was the reason for so many of the Isle of Wight famlies
moving to the North Carolina area?
Thanks
Bette

WEBB/GODWIN/WILKINSON

Posted: 14 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2001 8:09PM GMT
Surnames: WEBB, GODWIN, WILKINSON

James Webb, b 1656, Isle of Wight, (while living
with his uncle,James Webb/b.1636/ and other relatives brought over from Egland in 1629 by
William Micajah Webb), married Elizabeth Godwin.
jAMES WEBB is my 6g grandfather and Elizabeth
is my 6g grandmothr. HELLO cousins. Please write.
Willing to share. cwbecken@webtv.net.

Dew, Shearer

Bob Dalton (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DEW, SHEARER
Don't know reason for moving to NC. I have ancestors with
the subject names as my GMother was a DEW. Our line came
from England to Isle of Wight Co., VA, ca 1630.

Re: wilkinson

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 3:38PM GMT
Though I have not yet begun research on my Wilkerson line I can tell you that my 3rd ggrandmother was a Wilkerson, was married in Amelia Co Va in 1788 and there were other Wilkerson families in Amelia and Chesterfield Counties. They had family relations that were in Bute Co NC(later divided and became Warren and Granville Co) and that many records for families in this area can be found in both states. There are Wilkersons in Mecklenburg, Halifax and Lunenburg , all of which were parts of Brunswick/Lunenburg in eary times. Hope this will help.

Re: wilkinson

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: WILKERSON, JUSTICE, LYLES
Would be interested in hearing from you. From what I've been told my ggg-grandfather was Robt. W. WILKERSON b 1778 Amelia Co., Va., his brother was Thomas WILKERSON b 1772 Amelia Co., Va. Both were Methodist circuit riders in the Va., Tenn., NC., KY circuits. Thomas never had children, Robt. did. Both worked for Bishops ASBURY & McKENDREE. Their father was perhaps a minister and may have been named Thomas, William Thomas, or Thomas William. Both Robert's first two children, Mary Elizabeth and John Burel (my gg-grandf.) were born NC; their mother, Eliz. UNKNOWN b NC(?).
Any help appreciated. Mary Eliz. m Wm. Snipes JUSTICE of NC; John Burel (Jack) m Ellender Eliz. LYLES of Jefferson Co., Tenn.
Abigail Banks Dennison
per page

Find a board about a specific topic