Search for content in message boards

Julia Chinn, mulatto "wife" to VP, Richard Mentor Johnson

Julia Chinn, mulatto "wife" to VP, Richard Mentor Johnson

Posted: 1 Feb 2002 5:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CHINN,JOHNSON
I am not a CHINN, but in doing some reading the other day I came across some interesting historical information about a CHINN ancestress. The 9th vice-president of the United State had a mulatto mistress by the name of JULIA CHINN, who her parents were and when she was born is not known, However back in the antebellum times, miscengenation was illegal, but apparently Mr. Johnson loved his "wife "enough not to hide their relationship. This was considered scandulous in that day. Furthermore he recognized publicly the offspring of this relationship, his 2 daughters, Imogene and Abigail JOHNSON. Julia Chinn died in 1833 during a cholera epidemic. His daughter Abigail died in 1836. Both daughters were apparently well educated, both married white men and both daughters were deeded his elegant home. In those days when white men often sold their biracial offspring "down the river", he stood up and acted like a man and a father

Re: Julia Chinn, mulatto "wife" to VP, Richard Mentor Johnson

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 12:15AM GMT
Interesting. Where was the family located. What State.

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 12:15AM GMT
Interesting. Where was the family located. What State.

Posted: 24 Sep 2002 4:27AM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2002 4:33AM GMT
Surnames: Johnson
Richard Mentor Johnson was my 3rd great grandfather. I have read that Julia Chinn lived as his wife and I know they had two daughters. I have also read that it was rumored they were secretly married, but of coursre it was illegal at the time for a white man to marry a mulatto. My lineage is through their daughter, Imogene, who married Daniel Pence. About two years ago I was able to tour the home Imogene and Daniel built on the property Johnson gave them when they married. The house and family graveyard are on private property and in general disrepair, but listed on the National Register of Historical Homes.

I have a tree posted, so if you are interested in looking at it, you should be able to find it by searching for any of the above names.

You asked about the location - it was Scott County - Georgetown, Kentucky. Johnson was VP under Martin VanBuren. He gained national fame as the man who killed Tecumseh during the War of 1812. Little seems to be known about Julia Chinn other than she was a slave RMJ inherited from his father, Robert Johnson. I have read that she was raised by Mrs. Johnson. She died around 1833 during a cholera epidemic.

If you have any further questions, I have a new e-mail address thebgs@cox.net.

Posted: 27 Dec 2002 8:17AM GMT
My great-grandmothers name was, Julia Ann Taylor who was a mulatto she was born ca. 1832 in Scott County, Kentucky and was a slave owned by Franklin Chinn of Forks of Elkhon in Franklin County Kentucky. She married my great-grandfather, Robert Condy (Conda) in 1882 they live together from around 1857, they had at least eleven children. (Any info on this?)

Brenda Gordon (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2002 5:04PM GMT
Sorry, Robert, but I don't have any information regarding the Chinn family. The only thing I have been able to learn from articles is that Julia Chinn belonged to Richard Mentor Johnson's father, Robert Johnson, and that Richard inherited her from him. Julia died during the cholera epidemic of 1833. If you can ever determine a connection, please let me know. I would be more interested in learning more about Julia's extended family.

Regards,
Brenda Gordon

Kente (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2003 3:17PM GMT
Well folks, let me add a 'wrench' in the mix. {smile}
I was born Carmen Marie Chinn in 1955 in Sioux City, Iowa Woodburry County.

I was put up for adoption at 4 months and adopted at 10 months. There has been a predominante rumor in my family that of the parents who adopted me, my father was my true biological father..whose last name was Johnson.

Any info available on Chinns in Iowa?

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 5:41PM GMT
Kentucky

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 5:43PM GMT
Sorry, I have not found any relatives in Iowa.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions