Search for content in message boards

Sketches of the Olivers book

Sketches of the Olivers book

Posted: 30 Jun 2006 8:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
I would like to purchase a copy of the book "Sketches of the Olivers" at a reasonalable rate. I have written the author, Margaret Oliver and the letter came back "addressee unknown...unable to forward". Does anyone know how I can contact her or even if she is still living...I am a descendant of John Oliver from Cades Cove Tenneessee and I would really like to have one of these books...Thank you Suzanne McElwee

Re: Sketches of the Olivers book

Kathy Oliver Lawson (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 2006 10:38AM GMT
I bought mine at the Cades Cove Gift shop in the park about 15 years ago.

Kathy Oliver LAwson (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 2006 10:43AM GMT
There is a copy on amazon.com for 195.00. I believe the bool was written by Hugh Oliver.

Robert Johnston (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2006 2:52AM GMT
I know Hugh Oliver died some years back, and I think his wife may be dead by now. They were up in late retirement years when i bought my copy from them some 10 years ago. You might try searching the Cades Cove bookshop for a copy. I know the Smokey Mountains/Gatlinburg Welcome Center had copies for sale about 4 years ago.

Suzanne McElwee (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2006 3:32AM GMT
Thanks to all that replied...such fast response!! Actually I received a direct e-mail from Margaret Oliver herself and after talking with her by telephone today I am happy to report that she is alive and well!! I ordered copies of the book from her and will be glad to get them...I was in Cades Cove over the Memorial Day weekend and the Welcome Center doesn't have any of the books and says they haven't had for quite some time. I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and was able to participate in the laying of a wreath on John Olivers grave commemorating him being in the War of 1812. again, thanks to all who emailed me and replied thru this forum. Suzanne

Posted: 2 Jul 2006 3:18AM GMT
To everyone who has emailed me asking for Margaret' s address and phone number...I am not sure if she would appreciate me posting it here. She does read this list, so if you want her to contact you, just post a request to her here. I had a great conversation with her by telephone and really enjoyed talking to her. Suzanne

Sandy Oliver (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2006 2:59AM GMT
I have been trying to find this book for ages. My library does not have any copies and I just stumbled onto your message. What is the address to order.

Thanks Bunches

Sandra Oliver

Hugh and Margaret Oliver's" Sketches of the Olivers book"

Jo Oliver Mesplay (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2006 1:26AM GMT
Surnames: Email address for " Sketches of the Olivers book.
I have the info for this book if you would like it write to me at my email address listed....By my calculations they should be ready very soon,,,,,,,,,..Jo

Re: Hugh and Margaret Oliver's" Sketches of the Olivers book"

Posted: 15 Jul 2006 3:09AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2006 3:00PM GMT
Jo, does the Oliver Book contain the Ky Olivers?

Re: Hugh and Margaret Oliver's" Sketches of the Olivers book"

Jo Oliver Mesplay (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2006 11:50AM GMT
Surnames: OLIVERS FROM KY.....
IT HAS KY. CENSUS FROM 1810 THRU1850 ..WHAT DO YOU NEED I WILL SEE IF IT IS THERE , THEY HAVE OLIVERS CENSUS FROM A LOT OF PLACES.. , VA.- NC- SC- TN-KY-GA-AR-MO-IN-IL-AL-MS-TX-.TEXAS AND AR ONLY HAVE 1850 CENSUS .THERE IS THOUSAND OF OLIVER NAMES IN THERE ..........I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE LOOKING FOR , BUT IF ANYONE WANTS IT , I HAVE LOTS OF INFO ON THE MADISON COUNTY TENNESSEE OLIVERS..........I ALSO HAVE SOME INFO FROM KY.......JO
per page

Find a board about a specific topic