Search for content in message boards

Devlins

Devlins

MurielMcGannon (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2003 4:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Trying to find Gentleman<who was very upset about Hugh Devlin returing to Ireland and leaving his wife and nine children back here, Hugh Devlin and Rose Darby Devlin were my great-grand-parents. I had just got my computer and didnt know wat I was doing and I have not found this man since. I do have infornation on the family, so if you are still out there let me know MurielMcGannon

Re: Devlins

Posted: 6 Jun 2003 3:27AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2003 11:46PM GMT
Surnames: Devlin, Brown, Browne, McGuire, Maguire
I have a Rose Devlin b either 1800 or 1810 Ireland who was living with my Thomas Joseph Brown/e and his wife Mary A Mc/Maguire in the NYC 1870 census and 1880 Brooklyn census and was identified as aunt. I have nothing more.
Would be nice if this was a connect!

Re: Devlins

Posted: 9 Oct 2011 11:34PM GMT
Surnames: Devlin, Darby
Hi Muriel,
I don't know who the gentleman was, but that story sounds very familiar. My husband's great grandparents were Hugh Joseph Devlin (1881-1955) and Mary Isabelle Clark (1883-1963). Hugh's parents were Hugh Devlin and Rose Darby.

My husband's late grandmother told me that Hugh went back to Ireland, but Rose would not go because she didn't want to leave the U.S. "because of the children."

I only know of eight children:
Rose (ca. 1874- ) m. William A. Murphy
Peter (1874- ) m. Mary (last name?)
John (1875- ) m. ?
Anne Ellen (ca. 1877- ) m. John Galbraith
Hugh Joseph (1881-1955) m. Mary Isabelle Clark
Thomas (Hugh's twin) (1881- )
Patrick Joseph "Joe" (1883-1963) m. Margaret ?
Mary (1888-1919) m. Charles S. Mangam

I think Hugh may have gone back to Ireland, but I also think he and Rose were separated before then. They recently released the 1905 New York census, and I found them both, but living in separate households in Brooklyn, each with some of their adult children.

Hugh, Sr. had quite a history, too. Found out that he served a few years in Sing Sing Prison for attacking and seriously injuring his foreman at the gas works. I can provide newspaper accounts if you're interested.

I'm also curious, since you posted this quite a while ago, did you ever locate the gentleman you were looking for?

Best regards,
Mary Ferguson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic