Search for content in message boards

TONE family, Mullingar, County Westmeath

TONE family, Mullingar, County Westmeath

Posted: 5 Jul 2011 1:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: TONE, FRYDAY, FRIDAY, DOWNS, DOWNES
My grandmother was Agnes Tone b 1897. Father John Tone, mother Maryann (sp?) Downes (sp?). 9 children altogether ... Norah, Josephine(m Joe Fryday), Annie are only sister names I know. Brother John, also. I know they lived in Mullingar, raised horses, were well-off. Any info appreciated.

Re: TONE family, Mullingar, County Westmeath

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 4:50AM GMT
Agnes & her family appear to be listed in the 1901 census. This link is to the page for their family:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001264613/

The 1901 and 1911 censuses are both available at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Sorry if you have this already, but as it has other family members' name I think you don't. The same family is listed in the 1911 census, also at the National Archves site.

Posted: 31 May 2012 7:51PM GMT
Hi!
This is an off-chance.
My name is Barbara Fryday & I am married to John Fryday in Co Tipperary
Our understanding is that there is only one Fryday "family" in Ireland.
My husband is descended fron a Cromwellian soldier who had a son who founded the "dynasty" - thhey came to the Damer estate in Shronell/Cullen on the Limerick/ Tipperary border in the 1700s.
I have dome the family tree from Sarah Fryday a widow in Cullen in 1766 whose son was James. Our tree goes on from James, to James & Nicholas & his brother James - their descendants married each other (my husband's grandparents) and so unnited the family again! In that line I have one "missing" person, David who appears in Griffiths Valuation 1850. The other gaps occur prior to that generation.
Can you help?
I have no problem sharing what I have if it helps us all!
Barbara

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 6:07PM GMT
All I know about Jim Fryday is that he was married to my grandmother's sister, known as Josie, nee Gardner. Do you have any photos of anyone in the Fryday family? I have two (I think) of Jim Fryday, not close up and also not very clear. Sorry I can't help you any further than that.

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 5:50PM GMT
Thanks for your reply - my question is which Jim Fryday? Can you give me any date, where he might have been born and what his religion was?
The Fryday family has branches in both the Church of Ireland & RC Church - They are the same family and James/Jim appears in all families with the name -probably becasue it was, at least, the name of a common ancestor named James in 1730!
I have lots of photos of the Fryday family
Barbara

Posted: 2 Jul 2012 5:38PM GMT
Hi!
The name Fryday is commoon only to Dundrum Co Tipperary - origin in this part of the world, that we know for certain about is Shronell, in east Limerick about16 miles from Dundrum.
We have records back to circa1730
The tree I have complied from parish records has quite a number of people whose descendants are unknown.
There is two branches that are RC, that we know of, and the rest Church of Ireland.
The ancestry of our known RC branches would only be from about 100 years
One branch is from an illegitimate line most of whom are in England.
The other branch remains principally local.
Because my husband's grandparents were 1st cousins the line from a Nicholas Fryday born 1784 is essentially one "family.
There are others from the siblings of the saiid Nicholas & generations back that have not been identified. There is a David Fryday in Griffiths Valuation obviouslly either Nicholas' brother or child that I have failed to find him in any local registers!
James is a family name along with Nicholas.
Have you tried to find the birth, marriage or death certs/records associated to the couple you do know about? The couple's marriage cert would/should give the parents names.
Can you scan your photos and send them to frydayb@gmail.com?
Barbara

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 4:44PM GMT
My name is Barbara Fryday, married to John Nicholas Fryday, born Maudemount, Dundrum, Co Tipperary, Ireland - my husband's uncle James Fryday appears to be the Jim Fryday sought by the Tone family - James died in 1933 in South Tipperary pyschiatric hospital after returning from London, apparently suffering from some form of senility and was looked after by his brother Sam until he was admitted to hospital.
As far as the family has understood until the last week or so, Jim had married Eva (Ebb) Graves in St Mary's Church, Ballintemple (Dundrum, co Tipperary) in 1915. The couple returned to London and not very long afterwards Ebb returned to Dundrum and remained there at her family home until her death about 1956.
Jim remained in London until he returned to die in 1933.
There is no doubt that this Jim Fryday (there were two of them- the other emigrated to Australia) is the person sought in the Tone enquiry. There is only one Fryday family in Ireland, all are related to each other closely - my husband's grandfather married his 1st cousin Margaret Fryday thereby bringing two branches descended from Nicholas & Mary Fryday whose family was born in the early 1800s - the tree so far has been brought back three generation before them
Barbara

Re: TONE family, Mullingar, County Westmeath: Mary Tone

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: Tone McGarry
My family was apparently from Millingar, Westmeath where Mary Tone (b. about 1755, d about 1816) married James McGarry. When she died, he emigrated to Canada with his 6 children locating primarily in Niagara Falls and the Perth/Ottawa area. I have always wondered about Mary Tone (my gr-gr grandmother, who she was, where she was buried etc. We have seen baptismal records in Dublin consistent with her children on a very old McGarry family tree and they all came to Canada together. Any information would be appreciated.

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 6:30PM GMT
Surnames: Tone
Tone was my grandmother's maiden name. She lived 1897-1992. I have not been able to trace her family further back than her father, John Tone. I don't know his birth or death dates, where he was born or who his family were. I have not been able to trace his wife either, Mary Anne Downes (sp?)Sorry I can't help you, but good luck in your search.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 1:37PM GMT
I have a couple of questions for you. What is the Tone connexion to Mulligar? Are there any Tone cemetary or death records there somewhere? Are the Tones of Mullingar somehow related to Wolfe Tone?
Thnaks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions