Search for content in message boards

SIMIEN

Posted: 21 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 May 2002 8:22PM GMT
Surnames: SIMIEN, GUILLORY, RENE, REMY, PAPILLION
Need information on the origin of the name SIMIEN. Does anyone out there know. I think the beginning was in Avoyelle, La.

origin of simien name

G. Brown (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Simien
The first Simien documented in the St Landry parish area were Antoine Simien and Marguerite Simien. She married a Gautier.I don't know if they were related or not. There is some evidence that Antoine came to St Landry by way of New Orleans. His family originated in Marseille, France.
Antoine had children with freed slave woman named Marie Simien. No other last name for her has been found-yet. They had four sons and two daughters. Their sons were Paul(Pablo), Louis, George, Jean Baptiste,and Francois. Their daughters were Marie Louise and Adelle. Antoine also fathered another daughter with a free black woman named Euphrosine Decuir. Euphrosine Decuir's daughter was Marie Arthemise.

Re: origin of simien name

Posted: 13 Jul 2001 12:01AM GMT
Edited: 3 May 2003 12:07AM GMT
I AM WRITING TO ASK YOU IF YOU KNOW WHEN THE FIRST SIMIENS CAME TO LA. MY GRANDMOTHER WAS A LEDET & MY GRANDFATHER WAS A SIMIEN. HER NAME WAS MARIE GENEVIVE. HIS WAS LEON. HE HAD BEEN MARRIED BEFORE FOR HE HAD A SON BY THE NAME OF PAUL WHOM I WAS TOLD COMMITTED SUISIDE. THE SECOND SET OF CHILDREN WERE ANTOINETTE, MADELINE, ANTOINE, & ALINE. THEY WERE RELATED TO THE PAPILLIONS & CAME FROM AROUND ST. LANDRY PARISH. MY GRANDFATHER I WAS TOLD ALSO CAME FROM MARSILLE. COULD THEY BE OF THE SAME FAMILY YOU TALKED ABOUT IN YOUR EMAIL I AM RESPONDINT TO? IF YOU FIND THAT THE BACKGROUND ARE POSSIBLY THE SAME, PLEASE CONTACT ME AT THE ABOVE E-MAIL ADDRESS. THANK YOU. R. BLACK

Marie Simien Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2002 4:26AM GMT
Hi Cousin Geneve and Abner,
This is Peter's youngest daughter. I happened to be on the web site looking for my mom's family tree the Babineaux's replying from my cousins email. I hope all is well with all of you and I am curious about more of the Simien family tree also. I will search more and at a later date and see what I can find out. I did get some info upon attending some of the family reunions in Louisiana and from some books that Jackie and I bought. Before daddy passed (God bless his soul) I asked him some questions and was able to write it down and also I asked Auntie and Uncle Vernon some things too. Maybe with all that I have and others we can find even more family so that the legacy can live on.

God Bless each and everyone of you,
Love Your Cousin,

Marie Antoinette Simien Lewis
Peter Joseph Simien Sr's youngest daughter

Genevieve Brown (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2002 8:33PM GMT
It is good to hear from you. I do hear from Peter Jr. from time to time. He is very good about keeping in touch.
Vernon has been very helpful in sending me information about the family. I have hopes of compiling all of that material into some form of printed information to be available to the family soon. Please e-mail me directly and keep in touch.
Posted: 6 Jun 2002 2:19PM GMT
Hello, I saw you were asking about Simien's. I am a Simien, and I do agree with you on the Louisiana origin, but I was thinking more the Opelousas area.

Marie SIMIEN...

Posted: 19 Nov 2002 10:42PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2003 12:35AM GMT
Her surname was ESPRIT, she was the daughter of Esprit, a negro slave of Francois LEMELLE and the mother's name I forget. They followed the LEMELLE's to the Opelousas Post from New Orleans.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic