Search for content in message boards

Charles Herrmann

Charles Herrmann

Posted: 15 Sep 2006 2:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
My gr gr grandfather, Chas Herrmann, b 1819 in Prussia, came to US in 1849 giving his port of entry as Milwaukee, WI. His wife was Maria Kleinert. 2 children were b in Prussia; Wilhelm 1846/7 & Augusta 1848.According to the 1880 census of MI for his son, Chas Julius, Chas, Sr. was b in Wurtemburg & his mother b in Baden. Does anyone know of this family?
Evelyn

Re: Charles Herrmann

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 3:31AM GMT
Evelyn, My mother and brother may have contacted you some years back. My brother is named after our Gr Gr grandfather, Charles (Carl?) Julius Herrmann. I would love to compare notes if possible. My brother is in Oshkosh as I write this doing some research on the family. We descend through Edward Charles my grandfather.

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 4:28PM GMT
Thank you for your reply to my message. I am a gr gr grand-dau of the immigrants, Charles & Maria (Kleinert) Herrmann.
Their dau, Caroline, was a brother to Chas Julius, & my
gr grandmother.
At the moment I am away from home & do not have access to
my files, but will be home in about 2 weeks. I am working
through my dau's computer. My own is disconnected. I will
try to contact you again. My email is edavis88@att.net.
Evelyn

Posted: 16 Aug 2012 2:11PM GMT
Follow up: Someone in the family suggested that the place of origin for the Herrmann family might be Louisenfeld(t), Prussia. Mentioned the Polk library on the campus of the Oshkosh University, I have been unable to verify this as I am limited in mobility being nearly 90 years old.
Also, I have not been able to find the port of entry, but did find a Charles Herrmann in 1849 on the ship, Cobden? in NY. However, there was a note that he left the ship early.
Why?
I have a list of the Herrmann children one of whom, Otto, seems to have disappeared from the radar. Another relative of Jane (Jenny Herrmann) Voelkel was reluctant to offer any info on this family stating there were "bad feelings" somewhere along the line.
When I am home I will continue sharing with you any info that I have & am eager to hear of your side.
Thanks, Evelyn

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 3:45PM GMT
Hi there,

I am finally home & glad to be here. I am eager to hear what progress your brother made while in Oshkosh so that we can compare notes. I also have a few pictures including a tintype of Otto. This was sent by Mary Ann (Herrmann) Merkel's dau, Violette, who never heard of her ancestors. Amazing.

Regards, Evelyn

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 4:08PM GMT
Hi Evelyn,

Just to give you context, my brother (Charles Julius III) and I are decended as follows: Charles Julius, Charles Julius Jr, Edward Charles and Karl (our father). In addition to some legal papers involving the estate of Charles Julius Jr (there was a contest involving minor children, etc.), my brother found a news paper article from the Janesville (Wisconson) Gazette confirming what we had always heard, that Charles Jr won a fair amount of money in the Lousiana State Lottery.

I have seen the same record of Charles (Carl?) Julius leaving the Cobden early. It is the right year but still a mystery.

My mother was the real researcher and I have just been trying to maintain her databasee and clean it up a little. She listed the Herrmanns back four more generations in Germany and has the original Chas being born in Wurtemburg and Mary born in Baden.

Is there any information I could furnish you that would help you research?

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 5:12PM GMT
I hope I have understood correctly that the Herrmann line has been traced back 4 more generation from the immigrant Herrmann in Germany. I have also seen the origin as being Wurtemberg & Baden. Now I wonder if Louisenfeld(t), as being reported, is a part of Wurtemberg.

Would you consider sharing the info? The birth dates of Charles & Maria, their parent, grandparents, etc. Was it found in the IGI - is there documentation?

I would greatly appreciate the above & I have much data on the extended families if you do not already have it. There is a Payne Family Tree posted on Ancestry that you are surely welcome to examine.

Evelyn

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 10:59PM GMT
Thank you so very much for replying to my inquiry on the Herrmann immigrant. Charles Julius, Jr. was a brother to my greatgrandmother, Caroline. Caroline was still living when my first son was born & I have a precious 5 generation picture.

I noted that you listed the immigrant as Charles Julius which was new data for me. May I ask where the 2nd name was found?

Since 1978 I have been trying to find the original place of origin for the Herrmanns. The last place I was given by another relative was Louisenfeld(t), Prussia. There are different spellings for the same & none are satisfying that I could find.

Now I am 90 plus & relying heavily on Ancestry & others to guide me toward the right sources to research.

I would sincerely appreciate any info you would care to share with me.

Evelyn edavis88@att.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions