Search for content in message boards

Book on Poulin Genealogy

Book on Poulin Genealogy

Susan Jones Boak (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2006 4:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've heard that there is an out-of-print book on Poulin genealogy. Does anyone have a copy that would be willing to loan it to us to get it reproduced? Or does it exist on-line somewhere?

Re: Book on Poulin Genealogy

Joseph N. Poulin (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2006 12:01AM GMT
Surnames: Poulin
I have genealogy data on Poulins from 1639 to 1939. The material however is entirely in French. I obtained the book when I was a member of "L'Association des Familles Poulin. You can reach me at jnrpoulin@yahoo.com

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 2:51AM GMT
Surnames: Poullain-Poulin
Re the above mention book is it very long.does it contain a few pages or hundreds of pages.If it's not to long i would be glad to try and translate it from french to english.I can be contacted by the following email aurelepis@ gmail.com thanks, Aurèle J.L. Poulin NOTA, It would be translated at no cost to anyone

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 3:49PM GMT
You are talking about this book:
261.  POULIN, Joseph-Philippe. «Troisième Centenaire de la Famille Poulin au Canada, 1639-1939». Québec, 1939. 253 p. (23 cm). Non découpé, à l’état neuf. Illustrations.    65 $ (bought previously from Quintin)

It shows up once in a while for sale by used book vendors in the Province of Quebec.

It is easy reading, with great detail in parts. The author was an "instituteur," to me an elementary school teacher, who did excellent and extensive research to support his four or five publications. It deals with the three Poulin pioneers, but necessarily mostly with the descendants of Claude. If you want to flesh out details on your line, once already known, you may find interesting details. The title is misleading, reflecting its publication for a grand reunion in 1939, but dealing with family history and names only to the late 1800s. Also, the arrangement is unusual and difficult to follow. Most of its 30 chapters feature clusters of Poulin names in various geographic regions. Tracing backwards from a known name is difficult. For straight tracking from the mid-1900s it is better to use other available sources: the Drouin "blue" books, available via Ancestry.com and in microfiche from the AFGS, and then Talbot along with Tanguay, plus all the various marriage indices taken from parish records.

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 8:33PM GMT
We found a copy on EBay and are studying it.

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 6:43PM GMT
I would love to get my hands on a copy of this as well! My Great Grandfather Louis Napoleon Poulin was invited to the get together in 1939, but unfortunately was unable to attend. Though at this point in time, I cannot figure out why one of his sons did not go (they too were invited).

I've seen a few copies available online for $40-$50, but would like to know if LN is in the book before laying out the cash.

Could anyone that has a copy see if these people are in the book?

Louis Napoleon (born 10 Jul 1858 in Leeds, Ontario, Canada)
Joseph (born 1 Jan 1809 in Québec, Canada, wife Priscilla Lapointe)
Etienne (born 2 Oct 1768 in St Joseph, Beauce, Quebec, Canada wife Marie Josephte Groleau or could be Grollot)

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 1:24AM GMT
Surnames: Groleau
Page 138 shows Etienne in his second marriage to Josephte Groleau in 1804 at Saint-Joseph. You can trace his ancestors from this. But I could not find his descendants. In contrast, the chapter gives details on the families of all four of Etienne's male siblings. Most, if not all, of his nephews and nieces married in the Beauce County area. This may be the distinction between these people and any descendants of Etienne. I quickly browsed succeeding chapters for the names you want. But the way the book is organized, one would have to eye-ball every name which appears in bold type to ensure that the book does not contain the names.

There are only two details on Etienne. Elected "marguiller," church warden in 1781. Died 20 March 1819 at age 78 and buried at St-Joseph.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 3:54PM GMT
I am also hoping to find ancestors in this book. My gr grandfather was Victor Poulin born in 1852-53? in Canada. His father was Pierre married to Marie Dumas. If my records are accurate Pierre had a brother Job who eventually moved to Pittsfield, MA as did Victor although I don't know when. Victor married Mary Chattillain (many different spellings)in Pittsfield. They had several kids including my grandfather Francis Peter Poulin. Any information on Victor would be appreciated as I can only find him in MA records.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 8:52PM GMT
Surnames: Poulin, Dumas, Paulin, Dinnas
I cannot find these names in the book.

Of possible interest is 1871 Census of Canada, Quebec, Shefford, Stukely South as taken from Ancestry.com's Canadian record holdings of the Drouin Collection. It shows these Poulins: Frs. Xavier age 23, Marie 55 widow, Victor 18, Joseph 13, and Victorine 16. This may be worth researching in depth if this town fits in known migration patterns to your area of the U.S. Stukely South had its French Canadian parish, Notre-Dame de Bonsecours, established 1846 being the third in Shefford County. Also, the Drouin Collection online shows a number of "Pierre" Poulin in the early 1800s in parishes between Stukely and Montreal. Because of problems in the indexing of the Drouin Collection by Ancestry, bear in mind that some data in the original files do not surface. On the other hand, a review of the "Blue" Drouin index may show the path of ancestry from Pierre to earlier generations. Also, the Loiselle marriage index includes data from Stukely and nearby parishes.

My searches on "Job" show nothing of interest. This name was uncommon in French Canada, and "Joseph" could easily have become "Job" in the states.

In a search in the Drouin Collection at Ancestry.com for Marie Dumas and spouse "Pierre" (no surname), I almost gave up around the 170th hit when I saw a record indexed as Marie "Dinnas" with spouse Pierre "Paulin" in 1836 at Ste-Rosalie, Québec. The handwriting in the record clearly shows "Dumas" and "Poulin." The date is 2 February. I feel that both the Louselle and "Blue" Drouin indexes would have rendered the names correctly. Ste-Rosalie is in Bagot County adjacent to Shefford.

There were many hits on "Marie Dumas." Also common is the name "Pierre." This marriage of 1836 looks like what you are looking for, but it cannot be taken as the proven connection, since other couples may have married with the same name combinations at about the same time in the neighboring regions. Finding the baptismal records of Victor and "Job"/Joseph would provide the assurance you need. It seems that the name "Victor" was just beginning to appear in the latter half of the 1800s. Heh, heh, my parents are buried in Maine, but I found their names on a head stone in Massachusetts when I was there with my wife working on her Irish relatives. My son's name is Francis Peter Poulin.

Good Luck tying things together.

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 1:33PM GMT
Thanks for the info. I have seen that census record but could never varify it was what I was looking for. I do have a record from MA on Victor's marriage to Mary which gives his parents names and the fact they were from Canada. His obituary says he was a native of Bolton, Ontario Canada. Whether this is accurate I don't know. That census record is the only early record I found with his name. I do have a picture of his tombstone and his wife's as well. At one point I found something with his name being Victor Albert Poulin but I haven't been able to find this again. How funny that your son's name is the same as my grandfathers. Unfortunately he died in 1969 way before I ever thought of doing this research. My father is the last child living from this line. He was the youngest in the family and he just turned 80. There are cousins of course but of everyone I could find and contact no one knew anything about this family. Victor & Mary were both deceased before my father was born; she in 1909 and he in 1927. Anyway, thanks again for all your help. I'll keep on hunting and hopefully I'll find the people I'm looking for.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions