Search for content in message boards

Old Rice Cemetery, Dufur. Oregon

Old Rice Cemetery, Dufur. Oregon

Posted: 9 May 2012 8:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 3:30AM GMT
Surnames: Rice
Can anyone tell me if the Old Rice Cemetery in Dufur, OR is an active cemetery? Or who to contact to check on a burial there?

Re: Old Rice Cemetery, Dufur. Oregon

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 2:18PM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 3:30AM GMT
I live nearby that cemetary. Am not sure if it's still active, but would be glad to check something out for you.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 5:12PM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2012 6:21PM GMT
Surnames: Orchard, Baker
Thanks a lot. We would like to take you up on your offer to check for Jesse Orchard's grave. We live in Baltimore, MD quite a ways from Oregon. We are looking for the burial site of my gt. gt. grandfather, Jesse Clark Orchard. He was buried in the Old Rice Cemetery in 1902. The problem is, according to his granddaughter, they were poor and could not afford a headstone. They used markers. I am not sure what sort of a marker. There are (were) two markers side by side, one says Jess Orchard the other Baby Baker. The only clue we have is from a Rice Cemetery website. "There are two metal markers just under a scraggley tree between the gate and the stone for Moad." Perhaps one might be Jesse's. Thanks in advance for you effort. If you did find the marker, could to take photo? Our email is kurtram@comcast.net. Sue and Kurt Ramsey.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 7:11PM GMT
I will be happy to go check that out. Will try to do so within a couple of days. I actually had been thinking about going there to take pictures to add to a database...sort of a payback for all those people who had already taken pictures of other cemeteries that I was able to access for my search.
Will let you know what I find (or don't find).
Pam Clausen
clausenpr@gmail.com

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 10:11PM GMT
Surnames: Munson, Tomlinson
I have been looking for a lady that lived in the Dalles (her father, C. Munson lived there) then was found in 1920 census out in the Dufur area working for another family. I kind of been wondering if she might be buried in Old Rice Cemetery. Is there a database index to check out?
Her name is Castilla/Castiller Munson Tomlinson or Tomasson.
Her name has been spelled many different ways and there is a possibility she remarried. She had children with the last name of Tomlinson also.
thanks, jep

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 3:02AM GMT
Thank you. I appreciate you kindness. I love Oregon, maybe one day I well get there again.

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 3:07AM GMT
I just typed Dufer Cemetery, Oregon into a search engine and got several hits.
I also contacted the Dalles-Wasco County library genealogy department. The genealogist there was very helpful and looked in several libraries for me. Hope this is helpful.

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 4:00AM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2012 6:22PM GMT
Surnames: Orchard
Have you tried findagrave.com? I tried just the Orchard and received two names in Wasco Co. There is someone who has taken pictures and put them on findagrave and Rice Cemetery in particular.
jep

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 4:07AM GMT
Yes, we have. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 1:21PM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2012 3:27AM GMT
I went down to the cemetery to look for your relatives. I'm sorry to report I didn't find any names that you are looking for. I did find some metal markers with no names left on them, by a stump of a tree that could have been what you were referring to.
Someone is caring for this cemetery at times, however. I don't know who, but will investigate a little further. Perhaps that person has records that might help you. I will be back in touch if I can track that person down.
I did take pictures of the headstones that are there, and will try to post them soon.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions