Search for content in message boards

Bridget Rabbitt

Bridget Rabbitt

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 11:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have almost completed our family tree but for some months now I am finding it impossible to trace a lady called Bridget Rabbit (b. 1823 - d. 1908). She is buried with my wifes great-grandparents.

She spent almost 40 years in the USA and returned to Ireland around 1894 and lived locally until she died on 13th Feb 1908. She was buried by the McSorley Family and nobody alive today know anything about her.

She was a widow and the only two possibilities I can think of are that she was either Bridget Rock or Bridget McSorley before marriage.

Is there any website anyone can suggest where I can search for a possible marriage in the States or at least a marriage certificate.

Re: Bridget Rabbitt

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 2:19PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

Try Vital Records – Birth, Marriage, & Death, Social Security Info., Census Records – FREE ALL STATES
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 3:04PM GMT
Where did she live in the U.S.? Do you have her in the Federal or State Censuses? In the immigration records? Any more info about her?

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 3:21PM GMT
Attocat, thank you for your response.
I have no clues on her whereabouts in the US.
I have one Passenger Record for her departing New York with a Mary McSorley - this is another family member, her neice I think. However, leaving New York for Ireland may not mean she lived in New York - but its a start!

Posted: 8 May 2013 5:09PM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2013 3:47AM GMT
Can you add more?

Posted: 8 May 2013 5:14PM GMT
Try searching in the card catalog for Irish records and cemetery information. You can find the card catalog under the search tab.

Posted: 14 May 2013 3:35AM GMT
We research volunteers need more information.

Am I correct in:

Her name at her death in 1908 was Bridget RABBITT?

She died in 1908 but lived in the US between about 1854 and 1894?

How do you know she lived in the US for about 40 years?

Do you have names of any of her children? Husband?

Do you have her obituary which might name other family members?

We volunteers need more information!

Posted: 14 May 2013 6:39AM GMT
Firstly, my apologies for the lack of information but here is all I know that is factual.
Bridget Rabbitt is buried in Killyclogher, Omagh (Cappagh Parish) with Patrick Rock (originally from Co.Armagh) and his wife Bridget nee. McSorley (from Omagh). Bridgets gravestone inscription is RABBITT d. 13/02/1908, aged 90years. In her obituary notice it says that she spent over 40years in the USA returning some 14years ago (1890). The 1910 census record listed her living in Killyclogher in 1901 as a widow - age 68 - in a dwelling owned by her nephew James McSorley. The chief mourners were James, Patrick and Bernard McSorley - her nephews.
In 1860 and 1880 census records for USA I very recently found a Bridget Rabbitt living in White Plains, Westchester, New York married to Denis Rabbitt. No children are listed and I believe she had no children as they are not on the census either.

A death notice was found for Denis Rabbitt 1893 and there was also a passenger record for a Bridget Rabbitt travelling to a from New York in 1895 with Mary McSorley.

A living relative of the McSorley family believes that she was a connection of the Rock family, which I also believe because she is buried with the ROCK family and not McSORLEY family, whose grave is beside it.

Hope this helps. Thank You

Posted: 14 May 2013 6:53AM GMT
Lastly, there is one other thought. The census record states that she was born in Tyrone. In that case she MAY be born McSORLEY. She was not buried in the McSorley family lot because of the surname but in a fresh grave beside it. The Rocks were then buried with her as she was Bridget Rocks aunt.

Posted: 14 May 2013 7:51AM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2013 11:34AM GMT
So...after all, you do know all about her family, and where she fits into your family tree?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions