Search for content in message boards

Original Birth/ Death Records

Original Birth/ Death Records

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 1:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
Are copies of original birth or death records available in Virginia? I have a old copy of my father's original birth record not in good shape and tried to get a copy from the State Office of Vital Records. They sent me a computer generated record that did not include all the information on the original. I was told the copy I received was all that was available. Is there any way to get copies of originals?
John in Florida
jsheppard21@comcast.net

Re: Original Birth/ Death Records

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 9:51PM GMT
Hi John,
Virginia started keeping birth and death records in 1853 at the county level. Records were kept from this time until 1896. Records were most often only recorded in a register and not an individual record. From 1896-1912, no records were kept. In mid 1912, birth and death certificates started being issued. Many of the old records were destroyed in courthouse fires and by other means. So, depending on the years you are looking for, they may or may not be a record. If you are looking for a record from Buchanan County, I will try to help.

Posted: 8 Sep 2012 5:20PM GMT
Many of the original records are no longer available to scan and copy. I was at the courthouse, last week and they have them on registry , not the original copies.
My grand parents marriage license from 1933, is no longer available.
So good luck in your research, not all records are this way.

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 12:04AM GMT
Almost all records from 1885 through 1938 are available. Marriage records are available through present day. You just have to know where to look. They may not all be available at the courthouse, but they are still somewhere.

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 1:05AM GMT
They are on file in Richmond, if you are related to the person.
You can also access death record certificate at the funeral homes, if you are a blood relative of the person deceased. I got my grandfather's this way.
Some will also try and sell marriage licenses and other documents as well. I know I checked the marriage licenses, I have from the 1800's and some are no longer available.

The ones from Richmond , some do not contain the information, the original does.

They also have a birt/death record of some natives of Buchanan County at the Courthouse. I found my grandmother's orginal birth certificate, this way.

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 1:17AM GMT
Thank you for your reply.

John in Florida

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 10:03PM GMT
John,

I have copies the original death certificates from mid-1912 through 1930, if there is someone you need me to look up.

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 10:39PM GMT
Which families do you have. I am from the Mullins and Vandykes , located in Buchanan County , Va. I have some marriage licenses , to exchange.

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 6:34PM GMT
Hi Rodney,
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. We have been out of town. If you look up to see if there is a Susan Sheppard death record, I would appreciate it. She died sometime areound 1912 in Essex County, VA.

John in Florida

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 6:36PM GMT
Hi, Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, we have been out of town. I am researching the Sheppard/ Shepherd family in Essex County.

Thank you,
John Sheppard
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions