Search for content in message boards

John's Lane Distillery, Dublin

John's Lane Distillery, Dublin

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 3:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jan 2005 8:00PM GMT
Surnames: Power
Greetings,
Would anyone have any info. on the John's Lane Distillery of Dublin? Is it still there?
It was started by JOHN POWER in 1796 and closed in 1976. It was owned by John Power and Son (who was maybe James Power). Anyone know of this Power family? Where they lived?
Could anyone tell me if Christ Church Cathedral would be the closest church to John's Lane, where the old distillery was? I'm trying to find out church records for this family.
Thanks for any info.
Regards,
Deborah

Re: John's Lane Distillery, Dublin

Allison (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2002 9:50PM GMT
Hello Deborah,
I can't really help you on the Power's Distillery, but there is a church in John's Lane , called St John's church. This church, situated in Fishamble-street, at the corner of John's-lane, and next the court-yard in front of the old Deanery, was also erected a Prebend by Archbishop Browne, in 1544. On the front of the gallery, at the north side, the arms of the corporation of tailors are suspended, with this motto in Latin, "I was naked and you clothed me." The present church is of modern date: in the register of the parish in the vestry-room, may be seen the estimate for its re-building in 1767.

St. James's Church is in James's-street (nearby). On the north side of the chancel is a stone of rude appearance, bearing this inscription: This monument was erected by Mark Rainsford, of the City of Dublin, Alderman, 1693. The date of this monument is antecedent to the erection of this church 1707.

Here is a link with some history about the John's Lane Distillery: http://www.celticmalts.com/journal-b3.htm, or http://www.visitdublin.com/oldbrowsers/oldcity.htm

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 10:09PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2005 8:01PM GMT
Hi Allison,
Thanks so much for taking the time to send me this information.
I will try these parishes for entries of the Power's.
That is a cute script for the tailors to use. This might be the answer to my g-g-grandmother's meeting her husband James Rourke, as there were tailors in that family.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Deborah

Posted: 8 Dec 2002 11:18PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2005 10:44PM GMT
hello
I imagine the Powers were protestant, so you'd be likely to find the records in the C of I churches, rather than RC.
regards Etain

Posted: 9 Dec 2002 1:05PM GMT
Edited: 14 Aug 2003 12:12PM GMT
Hi Etain,
Thanks for your response.
I'll check them out there. The Church of Eng. has better records, I know, so I may just have a better chance.
Thanks!
Deborah

Posted: 13 Dec 2002 7:26AM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2005 2:20PM GMT
In 1791, John Power started a hostelry at 109 Thomas Street, where he began to distill whiskey. Power's Distillery occupied the site which is now the National College of Art and Design.
The Power family came originally from Wexford, and were major contributors towards the fund to complete the Augustinian Chruch in John's lane. There was a major fire in the distillery in 1877.
Power's became part of the Irish Distillers group in 1966, and the distillery lay idle in the 70s. It was taken over by the Art college in the 80s.
I have some photos of the distillery which I can scan for you if you are interested. Email me.
Best wishes
Trish
http://www.loughman.dna.ie

Posted: 13 Dec 2002 1:27PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2005 8:01PM GMT
Hi Trish,
Thanks so much for taking the time to send this along to me.
This is great! I also found the 1850 directory helpful with a couple of other names.
I would love the pictures, yes please!!
Thanks again.

Deborah

Posted: 29 Jun 2004 2:51PM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2006 2:15PM GMT
Surnames: Anderson, Power
Does anyone know if the Power's had any daughters? My ancestor James Anderson may have married one of the daughters and he may have worked at the Distillery.
Doris

Posted: 30 Jun 2004 12:32PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 4 Feb 2013 12:56AM GMT

Posted: 30 Jun 2004 1:40PM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2006 2:15PM GMT
Hi Deborah
I am just starting to research the Power family. I would like to know the names of the Powers that were running the distillery in say 1800 to 1850 or so. My James Anderson reportedly worked for them during the early 1800's. I wonder if there is an archive of this kind of information with the present owners. They amalgamated with the Jameison(spelling?) distilleries after some time didn't they? What do you know of that Power family? Where did they live for instance?
Will keep you posted if I run across the Rourke connection
Doris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions