Search for content in message boards

Burgin "Bert" Buchanan b. NC 1886, wife Jennie b. Utah 1893, & dau. Birdina

Burgin "Bert" Buchanan b. NC 1886, wife Jennie b. Utah 1893, & dau. Birdina

Posted: 29 Sep 2006 4:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BUCHANAN, HICKS, ANGEL, PLATTS
DOES ANYONE IN CAMAS HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT MY BUCHANAN RELATIVES?

Burgin "Bert" Buchanan was born in Apr. 1876 pro. Mitchell Co., NC to Joseph Leonard Buchanan and Nancy Jane Hicks.

"Bert" moved, at some point, probably from Mitchell Co, NC to Idaho. There he owned a ranch in Challis. He sold that, and drove a stagecoach. He became a mail carrier.

He married Jennie ( maybe Platts?) who was b. in Utah abt 1893. Their dau. Birdina was b. Idaho abt. 1914.

1910 Bert is living with brother John Anderson Buchanan in Twin Falls, 4th precint, Idaho.

1920, Bert is living in Stanley, Custer, Idaho with wife Jennie and dau. Birdina.
Jennie's father b. Missouri and mother in Idaho per census record.

1930 Birdina, Bert and Jennie's daughter is living in Fairfield, Camas, Idaho with her 57 yr old. uncle Richard M Angel and his wife Ida (Platts?) 44 yrs old.

WHERE ARE BIRDINA'S PARENTS IN 1930 AND WHY IS SHE LIVING WITH HER UNCLE RICHARD M ANGEL AND HIS WIFE IDA? Does anyone know these people?

AM ANXIOUS FOR ANY INFORMATION ON THESE RELATIVES!

Kimberly, Twin Falls Co., ID: Birgon G Buchanan b. NC 1886, wife Jennie Critchfield b. Utah 1893, m. 1911

Posted: 7 Nov 2007 6:33PM GMT
Surnames: Buchanan, Critchfield
I just located a record of marriage for a Birgon G Buchanan and Jennie Critchfield on the ancestry.com Idaho Marriages, 1842-1997. They were married in Kimberly, ID on 28 Feb, 1911, and the record can be found at the County Courthouse located in Twin Falls Co., ID, Volume 1, page 432. Is there anyone who can look this up and let me know if the parents of Jennie are listed? [I think this is my elusive "Bert" Buchanan and his wife Jennie.]

"Bert's" name has been spelled in various records as Ben, Bergan, Bergin, Burt, Bert, etc. However, I can't find him or Jennie anywhere after 1920 Idaho. His and Jennie's daughter Birdina have also eluded family researchers, but she was found living with her uncle Richard M Angel & his wife Ida [Platts??] in 1930 Idaho.

Hopefully someone will recognize Jennie's name and help me solve the problem of what happened to this family.

Re: Kimberly, Twin Falls Co., ID: Birgon G Buchanan b. NC 1886, wife Jennie Critchfield b. Utah 1893, m. 1911

Posted: 9 Mar 2008 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: critchfield, wilson, buchanan
Update:
Jennie Critchfield who m. Birgon was a dau. of Lewis Abram Critchfield and Jane Wilke Wilson.

Jennie and Birgon's marriage ceremony was performed by Bureah Wilkins, Bishop LDS Church in Kimberly, Twin Falls County, ID.

Ceremony was performed in preesence of Andrew Critchfield and L. A. Critchfield [in presence of W. A. Critchfield and Mrs. L. A. Critchfield.

Re: Kimberly, Twin Falls Co., ID: Birgon G Buchanan b. NC 1886, wife Jennie Critchfield b. Utah 1893, m. 1911

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 11:15PM GMT
Surnames: Buchanan
18 Sep 1918 WWI Registration: At this time he was 33 yrs old, a rancher, self employed, "nearest relative" was Jennie Buchanan. Their address was Obsidian, Custer Co., ID.

He signed the card: Bergan Grover Buchanan

Re: Burgin "Bert" Buchanan b. NC 1886, wife Jennie b. Utah 1893, & dau. Birdina

Posted: 2 Dec 2009 3:53AM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Buchanan, Fisher, Rief
Since you mentioned Bert Buchanan was in the Twin Falls area in 1910, I thought this Bert in this article, is possibly your Bert. The last paragraph mentions his age, which is about 10 years off. Sometimes mistakes are made when reporting. Then again, it might not be your Bert.

I am not related. I just found the article and thought you might be interested.
Eellitta

Date: September 05, 1912
Paper: Idaho Statesman
Page 1

FARMER KILLED IN A QUARREL OVER RAKE

Thomas F. Fisher Fatally Shot by Bert Buchanan at Twin Falls

Lives But A Few Minutes

Bullet Cuts Artery in Right thigh and Death Comes Quickly

TWIN FALLS Sept. 4 -
A quarrel about 5:30 this afternoon between Thomas F. Fisher and Bert Buchanan, living near this city, over a question of a hay rake, resulted in the fatal shooting of Fisher, according to the story of Perry Rief, who resides near Kimberley. He came to town today with Buchanan who was returning a hay rake he had borrowed from Fisher. The parties met at the Sterling creamery and hot words followed over a tooth that was missing from the rake.

Fisher Uses Whip

According to Rief, Fisher struck Buchanan a hard blow with his whip, breaking the whip stock with the force of the blow. Buchanan staggering back, pulled a revolver from his pocket and fired at Fisher. Seeing that the shot had struck, Buchanan ran to a livery stable a few blocks away, where he asked the proprietor to phone for an officer, saying he had shot, a man but did not know how seriously. He then went up into the hayloft to await the coming of the officer.

Dies in Few Minutes

In the meantime those witnessing the shooting hastened to the wounded man, who staggered to his horses heads, where he stood a few minutes then fell. A physician and an ambulance had been called, but on arriving, not more that 15 minutes after the shooting, found Fisher dead. The shot had severed an artery entering the right thigh, causing death within a few minutes. The coroner’s inquest will be held tomorrow afternoon.

Fisher, the dead man, was about 37 years of age, and leaves a wife and a son about nine years of age. Buchanan is a young man of 25 and married. Both were steady, industrious men of good reputation.

Posted: 2 Dec 2009 4:02AM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Buchanan, Fisher
I found a follow up article where Bert was acquitted of the killing. His name is mentioned as J.C. Buchanan. So it does put in doubt that this is your Bert.
Eellitta

Date: December 15, 1912
Paper: Idaho Statesman
Page 2

BUCHANAN IS ACQUITTED
Slayer of Thomas Fisher at Twin Falls Goes Free

Twin Falls, Dec. 14 -

The jury in the Buchanan murder case which has occupied the district court here since Monday after being out 71 hours decided on acquittal for J.C. Buchanan. There is universal dissatisfaction over the verdict of the jury. Buchanan was charged with the murder of Thomas Fisher last fall whom he shot during a brief quarrel over a hay rake that he had bought from Fisher. Fisher’s only weapon was a buggy whip with which he struck Buchanan, whereupon the latter drew a revolver and shot Fisher who died within a few minutes.

Posted: 2 Dec 2009 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: Buchanan
I so appreciate your efforts to provide more information on my granduncle "Bert" whose given name was Burgin Grover Buchanan. The follow-up article acquitting J. C. Buchanan seems proof that he and my granduncle were not one and the same.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions