Search for content in message boards

Family members that were full blooded Monican Indian

Family members that were full blooded Monican Indian

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 4:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Poe
My grandfathers grandmother was a full blooded Monican Indian from Central Virginia, particularly in Amherst County/Lynchburg VA area. Her name was Mary Poe. The only thing I've been able to find on her is a census. This is the side of the family I am most interested in and I'm hitting a dead end. My grandfather doesn't know her parents names or much about anyone else further down the line on the Poe side of the family because his father died when he was 9 years old and his mother was very hateful towards the Native Americans so she didn't allow him to see that part of his family after his fathers death. Is there anyone here that has been able to look into family members that were Monican indian? It seems to me like most of them did not submit to public records and my only hope may be to go to Amherst and visit the info center that the tribe has there but I was hoping to find something on here if I can. If anyone has any suggestions on how I may be able to find more information on this part of the family I would really appreciate it!

Amy

Re: Family members that were full blooded Monican Indian

Posted: 16 Aug 2011 7:33PM GMT
Surnames: Poe
Hi Amy,

Not aware of any Poe's in the Monacan Nation... Where did you derive this information from?

Posted: 24 Aug 2011 12:55AM GMT
Don't waste your time going to the Monacan Indian Nation. I have never worked with any other groups of Indians that would not release any information. I have family that are Monacan, and couldn't even get them to verify for me. They said their roles are closed and are not accepting any more members. How can you deny your people. Go to the Richmond Library, they have the best records. There are those of us, who really don't care about the Tribal card or government funding, we are really just searching our ancestors.

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 1:30PM GMT
Surnames: MOON, LAWLESS, BURCH, BURLEY, PADGETT, TUCKER -all from Amherst
I'm sorry you have experienced the same response as I had some years ago. The situation I had was quite different, however.

Still I couldn't get a single soul to help me either and was actually mocked on the mailing list of this board.

Another individual who had no ties to my ancestor was stating that my father's great grandfather was a monacan and went so far as to state it was a "fact". This person chose to completely ignore my inquiries, as did the tribe in Amherst.

Since that time, I've had our DNA done, and squashed his "fact" that my ancestors were Monacan. All of my ancestors came from England and there is not a drop of American Indian blood. Just as I suspected (knew).

While I was trying to get this all figured out years ago, I would have been honored to have Monacan blood. But, after the way I had been treated, I changed my mind about that.

Do your own work - it may take years but you will find what you need without their help.

In the meantime, I am going to look at the resources I have and see if I can come up with anything for you on the POE surname in Amherst.

Take good care,
Deborah Kay
Barnett MOON was not a Monacan, Mr. Lawless

Posted: 26 Aug 2011 2:44AM GMT
Poe was her married name. I didn't say she married another Monican. I don't know her maiden name. The information came from my grandfathers great aunt who took him in after my great grandmother abandoned him and his brother. She also was a Monican Indian. All I know is she is aunt Carrie (not sure of the spelling or of this was even her real first name). This is one reason I'm hitting the dead ends. Like I said my great grandmother hated Native Americans, she called them by the N word. She didn't allow my grandfather to see his family and Carrie died not long after she let my grandfather and his brother move in. Also I don't think it was of high importance to them to just talk of family when they were so poor my grandfather had to drop out of school in 5th grade to work. They had more pressing matters back then than to discuss genealogy. I haven't tried further on that side of the family at this point. Now I'm focusing on my relatives that fought in American wars and I'm actually getting somewhere on that because of good documentation.

Posted: 26 Aug 2011 2:57AM GMT
Oh my. I am not trying to get any sort of title for myself or benefits, I would just like to know about my family. And my grandfather is very interested. Especially on his fathers side because his father died when he was so young. I think he just wants to know anything about them because he never got the chance to know them. I'll take your advice about trying Richmond thank you!

Posted: 26 Aug 2011 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: Burleys, Jennings
Deborah, my ggrandmother was Mary Ann Howl. Some have said that she had Monacan blood and the indian name may have been Owl. I too received no reply from the tribe. Mary's family resided along Buffalo Ridge area west of Amherst along route 60. Mary and my ancestor Samuel Jennings probably met at the Poplar Methodist Church which was just off the current route 60.
My grandmother was Rosa Anne Burley, dau. of Joseph William, son of John Thomas, son of William Thomas, son of Thomas Dillworth, son of Garland. I have done much research on the Burleys IN Amherst, found their homes or the remains of their home and spend much time with Burleys in "Burley Hollow" which is near Sardis. What is your line of Burleys??
Logan Jennings, Hertford, NC cherylpj@embarqmail.com

Posted: 26 Jan 2012 10:10PM GMT
Surnames: MOON, BURLEY, LAWLESS, BURCH, COLEMAN, PADGETT
Cheryl, hi... it's been a little while since corresponding about our "cousin-hood" through the Burley line.

Just the other week or so, I received an email from a guy asking about any sources we might have for Garland Burley as parent to our ancestor. I can't remember if I asked you or not about that... can you drop me a line or answer here if you have any info on that?

Thank you cousin!! :)
Deborah

Posted: 7 Feb 2012 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: Merritt Poe Gresham Grissom
I am curious. What test/company did you use to test for the Monocan blood line?

I am interested in taking that test as well. I have similar problems with my Amherst ancestors. I certainly had one cousin (Gresham/Grissom) that was married into the Monacan nation in Amherst, but I am curious as to whether my direct line did or not. I have a theory that a first wife of my ancestor who was in Amherst by 1764 may been a Monacan. We lived on John's Creek, family stories, etc. It would be nice to have DNA help prove or disprove this.

My line of Merritts also knew the Poe's, and we appear in a few of their records.

Thanks - Mike Merritt
outlndr@q.com

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 12:55AM GMT
Noticed in your heading you have Grissom. Looking for Elizabeth, married James Tomlinson c.1820. Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions