Search for content in message boards

William Curry Born.Abt. 1802-1807

William Curry Born.Abt. 1802-1807

Posted: 3 Mar 2007 11:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Curry
I am trying to find out if anyone has any info. William Curry's (b.abt 1802-1807) PARENTS or bro/sisters. He married Sally/Sarah Cook and was from Rockingham Co. VA. They had 6 children. From what's written on the tombstone his father's name was William Curry also. A mother's name was never mentioned. So I looked up census records for a William Curry but there is none in VA before 1810 and I have no clue where to look next. If this looks familiar to anyone please let me know!! THANKS!!!!

Re: William Curry Born.Abt. 1802-1807

Posted: 4 Mar 2007 8:44PM GMT
Surnames: Curry, Bryan, Deppe, Boroughs, Porter
I have a William Curry whose father was George Washington Curry, born in what is now West Virginia. I know nothing about this William except that his mother was Ellen Maria Rankin and siblings were: Simeon Thomas, Mary Matilda, John Franklin, Phebe Jane, George Nixon, Albert K., James Edward, Lucy F., Charles W. and Louis White.

You may want to try West Virginia records. The father of George Washington Curry was Thomas and would have been born about the same time as your William, but he was born in Ireland. I have not been able to find a ship manifest record for him and have hit a brick wall there. Perhaps your William was Thomas' brother? Please let me know if we cross threads with Willam and Thomas, okay?

Kriste

Posted: 4 Mar 2007 8:44PM GMT
Surnames: Curry, Bryan, Deppe, Boroughs, Porter
I have a William Curry whose father was George Washington Curry, born in what is now West Virginia. I know nothing about this William except that his mother was Ellen Maria Rankin and siblings were: Simeon Thomas, Mary Matilda, John Franklin, Phebe Jane, George Nixon, Albert K., James Edward, Lucy F., Charles W. and Louis White.

You may want to try West Virginia records. The father of George Washington Curry was Thomas and would have been born about the same time as your William, but he was born in Ireland. I have not been able to find a ship manifest record for him and have hit a brick wall there. Perhaps your William was Thomas' brother? Please let me know if we cross threads with Willam and Thomas, okay?

Kriste

Posted: 7 Mar 2007 6:02AM GMT
On all the census records it says William was born in Virginia abt1803. The 1880 census says both of his parents were born in VA also. The cem. records says his father was a William (it was granddaughter furnished) (no clue on who that would have been) What I am thinking is that his father is under records with his middle name and I have no clue on the middle name. I will check WV records though just to see if anything looks familiar. Thanks!!

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 8:43PM GMT
Surnames: CURRY, HAMMOCK
I just read your inquiry on AlBlount-L, sent from ROOTSWEB and I'm having exactly the same situation as you have encountered with my CURRY line!

"My" GGGrandfather, WILLIAM (no middle initial found) was born c.1822-25 SC and his son, JONATHAN WASHINGTON CURRY b. 1857 was my GreatGrandfather. WILLIAM's wife was MARY A. HAMMOCK of Newton Co., Ga. I'm attaching a pdf file from my gedcom that I would really appreciate you looking over & see what you think for a connection to your line.

"My" WILLIAM's father would probably have been born c.1800, so yours b. 1802-07 could easily be him. I also think "my" WILLIAM's father's name was WILLIAM, too as was yours.

Do you know the names of his 6 children? Would 1 happen be named WILLIAM and DOB c.1820's?

Were any CURRY's you are researching ever living in NEWTON or CARROLL Co. in GA.?
What can you tell me about Sally/Sarah COOK? I have never made that connection.

I look forward to hearing back from you, hopefully with some charts of your own for CURRY's! I've been staring at the same brick wall & it appears to be getting higher every year!

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 8:47PM GMT
Surnames: CURRY, HAMMOCK
Kriste, please email me direct at: bgozbooks@aol.com I couldn't get my pdf file to attach to this format of Rootsweb.

Thanks, B.G.

Posted: 12 Mar 2007 12:04AM GMT
The William Curry b.1802-1807 married to Sally/Sarah Cook lived in Rockingham Co. VA from atleast 1840-1900. The 1880 census for him says both of his parents were born in VA also. Anyway there 6 children's name's are James H. b.abt1835, Julia b.abt.1839, Alexander b.abt.1840, Martha b abt.1845-1849, David F. b.abt.1847-1849, John Alpheus born 5/5/1851. I know what you mean about the brick wall getting higher and higher. If other people in the households before 1850 were not reffered to as basically numbers I think alot of people would be happier.

Posted: 12 Mar 2007 1:55AM GMT
Surnames: CURRY
Doesn't sound like our CURRY's connect. WILLIAM is too common a name to figure it all out! Did you get my pdf file? If not & you would like to see it please email me at bgozbooks@aol.com. Thanks!

Posted: 13 Mar 2007 1:18AM GMT
My Curry's definately migrated west before 1853. I have a Thomas Curry that would have been born in the 1820's or so. He immigrated from Ireland between his birth and the birth of his first son, George Washington Curry. Thomas' wife was Mary Settlemire. Our line of Curry's doesn't appear to be the same line that migrated south.

If our Curry's are connected, it was through George Washington Curry's possible brother or uncle. I have no knowledge of such a person. Sorry.

Posted: 14 Mar 2007 8:37PM GMT
Surnames: curry
Okay, for those who seem to forget when Thomas Curry married Mary Settlemire (settlemier), it was on 20 June 1808 in what is now West Virginia at that time Fredrick County, virginia. Both were over the age of 21 at the time of the marriage. (this would not have him born in the 1820's but he could have had a son named after him born at that time)

For those wanting a copy of this marriage license please let me know and I will gladly make a copy of my official document by scanning it in and emailing it. These are the parents of George Washington Curry born in 1818 and had several older siblings that were not named in the 1810 census or the 1820 where as Thomas Curry died prior to the 1830 Census and Mary Settlemire remarried. Mary had two brothers that I know of and they were named Casper and George.

Several family members have stated that Thomas came from Ireland but I do not have a copy of his will or his gravesite to verify this. I do know that the names Thomas and Jesse were extremely popular and were in the rolls of the revolution from PA and Virginia.

So William Curry born between 1802 and 1807 could have been born to Thomas Curry and a first wife or been a sibling of Thomas Curry (parents unknown).

I have an uncle (now deceased that implied that the family were on the boat from Scotland in the 1700's Heritage unknown).

Cathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic