Search for content in message boards

Phoebe McCoy md. John Brown ca. 1820

Phoebe McCoy md. John Brown ca. 1820

Posted: 9 Sep 2004 6:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Aug 2006 7:28AM GMT
Surnames: McCoy, Brown
Seeking information and living descendants of Phoebe McCoy, born about 1791 in Scottish community in NC, probably in area now in TN. She met and married John Brown, also a Scotsman, who was born in VA. They took all their wordly belongings and walked to Richland County, IL, arriving there about 1826. They are my gg-grandparents. Would like any information about Scottish enclave and McCoys and/or Browns in NC/TN area in late 1700s and before. Thank you very much, Dean B. Browne

Re: Phoebe McCoy md. John Brown ca. 1820

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 6:39AM GMT
I am the 4th great granddaughter of Hannah McCoy (b.1798 in North Carolina). Phoebe McCoy was her sister. I have lots of stories about their parents, Hugh McCoy and Jemima Franklin, on my website:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~revisann

Click on the links: Jemima Franklin, David McCoy (Phoebe's brother), Hannah McCoy.

I have very little info on Phoebe's family and would like to share info on any McCoys.
Attachments:

Re: Phoebe McCoy md. John Brown ca. 1820

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 8:00AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, McCoy, Franklin
John Brown and Phoebe McCoy are my GGGrandparents. They began a family in TN and then migrated to near Parkersburg, IL in 1828. They carried a babe, Joseph Henderson Brown, in their arms for the entire distance. That babe is my GGrandfather. Two years later (1830), they settled on land in Decker Township, Richland Co., IL. In 1830, that parcel was in Clay County. Later, when Richland Co was organized out of Clay and Edwards Co.s, their land became part of Richland Co.

About 1840, John Brown made a trip to MO to look for another location and was never heard of again. The last contact his family had was a letter sent from St. Louis, MO.
A history of Richland Co, IL gives two dates: one in the 1840s and another abt 1853. However, the 1840 census record shows their son living with his mother, Phoebe, and no John Brown.

I am seeking information about John Brown and Phoebe McCoy when they lived in TN. I am aware of Phoebe's lineage back to the Franklins in New Jersey. John Brown is my stone wall.

Please reply to madingj@att.net if you are interested in exchanging data. (I reached this site through my wife's connection.)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions