Search for content in message boards

SHAW'S IN FAUQUIER, VA.

SHAW'S IN FAUQUIER, VA.

Posted: 26 Aug 2001 8:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Sep 2001 2:12AM GMT
I AM LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION ON ELIZABETH SHAW, SHE WAS MARRIED TO JOHN BURKE.ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Re: SHAW'S IN FAUQUIER, VA.

Posted: 26 Aug 2001 11:07PM GMT
Edited: 7 Sep 2002 10:39AM GMT
Interested in the time period of this Shaw. My John Shaw m1785 Fannie Cleveland in Fauquier. Would be most interested to find a connection to your Elizabeth. John had a "Betsy" b1792 and unknown if she went to KY with the family.

Posted: 27 Aug 2001 1:26AM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2001 2:12AM GMT
THANKS ROBERT FOR RESPONDING. THE SAD PART IS I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE ON ELIZABETH. SHE WAS MY GGGRANDMOTHER, BUT I KNOW NOTHING OTHER THAN SHE MARRIED MY GGGRANDFATHER JOHN BURKE. ROBERT , MY GGRANDFATHER WAS BORN TO THEM IN THE COUNTY ON 2-2O-1827. SORRY I CAN'T BE OF MORE HELP. GOOD LUCK

Posted: 2 Sep 2001 3:12AM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2001 10:34PM GMT
Inoticed you mentioned something about the Shaw's in Kentucky . My Grandfather's name was James Allen Shaw; His brother's name was John Elie Shaw . It is my understanding they left Bolingburrow Kt [I know I did not spell it right] and went to Okalahoma city Ok .From there they both married Cherokee sisters by the names of Kirksey and moved to Marietta Tx ,where they both died.I do know that they were suposed to be Germans.I have a aunt who told me that a place called Itchatalh OK and Boonesville Arkansas is where some of these people settled that were kin to them .I don't know if this will help but I had to try and respond as I am also searching for info on the Shaw's and Kirksey's.

KAY HALL TAYLOR (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2001 12:22AM GMT
THANKS DOROTHY FOR YOUR RESPONSE. THE DATES THAT WE ARE PROBABLY LOOKING FOR WOULD MEAN THAT KENTUCKYAND WEST VIRGINIA AT THAT TIME WOULD HAVE BEEN VIRGINIA. ALL I KNOW ABOUT MY GGGGRANDMOTHER WAS SHE LIVED IN FAUQUIER COUNTY VIRGINIA AND SHE MARRIED A BURKE FROM THAT AREA. I DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY WENT FROM THERE. THE BURKE'S CAME TO WEST VIRGINIA AND SETTLED, BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND MUCH ON THE SHAW'S. PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE SOMETHING AND I WILL DO THE SAME. AGAIN THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH.

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 2:13PM GMT
Alot of the Shaw's from that area migrated and settled in Northwest Ohio, I am a descendent of one of those Shaw's

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 1:40PM GMT
Kay, I don't know if you ever found John and Elizabeth Shaw Burke but they are on my Shaw Family Tree. Elizabeth's parents were Archibald and Sarah Hill Shaw. Elizabeth was the youngest child. Her brother James is my third grandfather. John Burke's father was in the Rev War. His name was William and his mother's name was Susannah Sweeney. John and Elizabeth had two son's. They were married 23 Dec 1816. Their oldest son was named William Henry after his grandfather. There is is a cemetry in Fauquier Co, VA called Burk/Shaw Cemetery and if you go there on findagrave you will find William and Susanna's info as Archibald's and Sarah's. Also a 3rd great aunt Nancy Shaw Benear, who's granddaughter I communicate with. Hope this helps you. JMR (Shaw from Oklahoma)

Bradford-Morrow-Shaw-Strother

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 3:23AM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2013 3:27AM GMT
Surnames: Bradford-Morrow-Shaw-Strother
A Southern Unionist claim from Fauquier… with a tie to Gettysburg By Robert Moore

Take the case of Jane Bradford. She, along with her siblings, laid claim for losses incurred by brother Robert Morrow (who died in 1869/70), when Union soldiers cleared a fair number of trees from the family estate known as Effingham Forest (512 3/4 acres), in Fauquier County.

The claims revealed a fascinating story. One of Jane’s sisters, Susan, had married Strother H. Shaw, and had several children, but died around 1850. Of those children, one, James W. Shaw, was sent to Ohio to live with a grandfather. When the war came, Virginia-born James enlisted in the Union army (ordinance sergeant with the 34th Ohio). Meanwhile, two or three of his brothers ended up in the Confederate army.

Furthermore, another sister, who had married a man with the surname of Bird, had a son as well. He too (yes, also Virginia-born) enlisted in the Union army as well.

Now, maybe I should mention something… the Morrow family wasn’t confined to Fauquier and neighboring Culpeper County. Rather, Jane and many of her siblings actually lived in Washington, D.C. It seems most (not all) of those who remained behind in Fauquier and Culpeper were the ones who were Confederate-leaning.

Ultimately, the Morrow children/grandchildren who were named in the claim received approval for their claim.

Wait… there’s more… one of the children (not grandchild… but child) listed in the claim was also a Union soldier. In fact, though born in Warrenton, he was an officer. In the middle of June, 1863, his regiment was among those on the march. What follows comes from the history of the unit in which this Virginia-born Union officer served…
READ MORE ....
http://cenantua.wordpress.com/2013/06/11/a-southern-unionist

http://southernunionistschronicles.wordpress.com/

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions