Search for content in message boards

NATHANIEL ADAMS

NATHANIEL ADAMS

Posted: 30 Sep 2005 6:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ADAMS, CHAMBERS, SWARTZLANDER
I am searching for information on Nathaniel ADAMS (b. Jan 19, 1745 in Braintree, MA; d. 1822 in Harrison (West) Virginia) who was living in Leesburg in the 1760s. He was married to Rachel Chambers and had a son, Abraham ADAMS who was born in Leesburg on Oct 10, 1767.

Re: NATHANIEL ADAMS

Pat Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2005 9:45PM GMT
From "Index to the Tithables of Loudoun Co Va 1758-1786" by Hopkins:
[number is year they appear on list, s=Shelburne Parish]
Adams (Adam, Adamson, Addam, Adeems, Adems, Adoms)
Nathaniel 74s-77s, 82s, 84s

From the Loudoun Co Personal Property Tax Lists by Duncan:
1782C Third Battalion Adams, Nath’l. & negro Sall
1783C Third Battalion Adams, Nathaniel
1784C Third Battalion Adams, Nathaniel

"Index to Loudoun Co Land Deed Books, Books A-Z, 1757-1800" by Duncan:
Bk:Pg: D:357, 359
Date: 12 Jun 1764
Received in court: 13 Jun 1764
William FURR & wife Charity of Loudun to Robert SCOTT of Prince William. Lease/release of 280ac in Ldn and Fqr. Wit: Alexr. FARROW, Abraham ADDAMS, Daniel ADDAMS, Thomas McDONOWHOW.

From "Loudoun Co Will Book Abstracts, Book A-Z, Dec 1757 – Jun 1841" by Duncan:
ADAMS, Elizabeth
Appraisal of 6 May 1758: farm and household items, totaling £77.18.7. Aprs: Elijah CHINN, John OWSLEY, Thos. OWSLEY. Returned to court 9 May 1758. [A:4]
Settlement with Abraham ADAMS: sale of estate & tobacco, totaling £1029 & 87.18.11. Returned to court 14 Feb 1759. [A:9]

Pat Duncan
p.duncan@worldnet.att.net

Kevin MacGregor ADAMS (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2005 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: ADAMS, SWARTZLANDER
Pat,

Thank you so much for the information. I am sure that Nathaniel is the father of my ancestor Abraham ADAMS.

Abraham ADAMS born: October 10, 1767 in Leesburg, Loudon Co., VA; died: June 27, 1848 in Ovid, Madison Co., IN; buried: Gilmore Cemetery, Adams Township, Madison Co., IN; married: March 10, 1790 in Surry, NC to

Catherine SWARTZLANDER born: Aug 21, 1769 in New Brittain Twp, Bucks Co., PA; died: Sep 23, 1853 in Ovid, Madison Co., IN; buried: Gilmore Cemetery, Adams Township, Madison Co., IN.

I appreciate the help and would beinterested in knowing if you have any additional information or sources for Nathaniel, his spouse or his children.

Thankfully,

Kevin

Pat Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2005 3:27PM GMT
I'm not a researcher of any Adams lines; just a volunteer for lookups in Loudoun references.

Since Nathanial Adams apparantly left Loudoun Co after 1784, there would probably not be any information in the county about Abraham, since he was still very young.

Pat Duncan
p.duncan@worldnet.att.net

Kevin MacGregor ADAMS (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2005 4:52PM GMT
Pat,

Thank you for the lookups, they are very helpful.

Kevin

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 6:30AM GMT
This is 2012, 7 years after your post, but I'm hoping you're still out there. Did you find any info on Nathaniel Adams from Loudoun & Harrison Co, WV? I have been searching for his will to verify that he is my ancestor. I understand he had a son Samuel & another one Charles. I believe one of these sons is the father of my ancestor Charles Adams. He married Mary Ann Sims from Harrison Co, WV, moved to Ohio & then to Illinois. Any info you can give me would be appreciated.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 9:06AM GMT
Surnames: Adams
Did you find any info on Nathaniel Adams? I have been trying to find his will to see if he is my ancestor. Do you know if your ancestor had brothers named Samuel & Charles Adams? One of them or maybe both may have moved to Ohio from Harrison Co, and one of them would have had a wife named Anna, maybe a nickname. However, I believe Anna's husband died in Va & she followed some relaties to Ohio remaining a widow till she died. Thank you for any info you may have.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 2:23PM GMT
From the 1758-1782 Loudoun Co Tithables as abstracted by the Sparacios:
Adams, Nathl. - 1 tithable, List taken for 1774 taken by S. Backhouse for Mr. [James] Hamilton
Adams, Nathaniel; Negro Sall - 2 tithables, List for Shelburne Parish for 1775
Adams, Nathaniel; Negro Sall - 2 tithables, List taken February 1777

From the 1782-1800 Loudoun Co Personal Property Tax Lists:
1782C Third Battalion Adams, Nath’l. & negro Sall
1783C Third Battalion Adams, Nathaniel
1784C Third Battalion Adams, Nathaniel

Loudoun Co Order Book F, 11 April 1774
[p. 354] The Honble John TAYLOE Esqr. against James BUFFINGTON, Benjamin BRITTAIN and Philip DAILEY – in debt – Joseph LODGE and Nathaniel ADAMS came into Court and undertook for the Defendant that if he shall be cast in the action that he shall satisfy and pay the condemnation of the Court or render his body to prison in execution for the same or else they would do it for him.

Loudoun Co Order Book G, 14 April 1783
[p. 517] Court - Persons recomm'd and Rank.
May 1778 - ....... Nath'l ADAMS, George MASON Lieut's.

Loudoun Co Order Book I, 14 June 1785
[p. 34] Nathaniel ADAMS against Thomas WHITE; and Nathaniel ADAMS against Robert & Thomas WHITE – in two suits – final determination to be made by Joshua DANIEL, Israel THOMSON, Jonathan CONRADE, William OSBORNE and David POTTS.

Loudoun Co Order Book I, 12 September 1785
[p. 80] Nathaniel ADAMS against Thomas WHITE – in trespass assault & battery – parties having referred this suit to determination of Israel THOMPSON, David POTTS, William OSBORN and Joshua DANNIEL returned the following: that Thomas WHITE pay all costs upon the suit.
Nathaniel ADAMS against Robert WHITE & Thomas WHITE – in trespass – parties having referred this suit to be determined by Israel THOMPSON, David POTTS, William OSBORN and Joshua DANNIEL returned the following: ADAMS pays all costs. Suit dismissed at costs of Plaintiff.

Loudoun Co Order Book I, 10 April 1786
[p. 178] Stephen GREGG against Nathaniel ADAMS – in case – final determination to be made by Joshua DANIEL, James McILHANEY, Israel THOMSON and James RATTEKIN.

Loudoun Co Order Book I, 10 May 1786
[p. 227] Stephen GREGG against Nathaniel ADAMS – in case – suit having been referred to Joshua DANNIEL, James McILHANEY, Israel THOMPSON & James RATTEKIN who returned the following: find that Nathaniel ADAMS to pay Stephen GREGG £45 with costs.

Loudoun Co Order Book K, 14 May
[p. 98] Israel THOMPSON ass'ee of Nathaniel ADAMS against Joseph REED – in debt – Defendant acknowledged action, Plaintiff to recover £10 & costs. Execution stayed til 1 November next.

If you have questions, please email me directly.

Pat Duncan
GenNutLdn@msn.com

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 9:50PM GMT
Thank you so much for all the information. I really appreciate it. I do have another question. Can you tell me how I can find Nathaniel Adams' will? I've been told there is one but I haven't been able to find it.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 10:46PM GMT
I am not a researcher of this line, so I can provide no specifics other than from Loudoun County records.

If you know he died in Harrison Co WV (per earliest posting,) you would need to contact the county clerk to see if there is a recording of a will in their early will books. Sometimes people think there was a will when there was only an estate settlement. You might try emailing the clerk via the web form at:
http://www.harrisoncountywv.com/emailtest.aspx

If you are unsure if he lived in the county, you might want to look at the Harrison Co (then VA) Personal Property Tax Lists, which are available on microfilm through the Library of Virginia Interlibrary Loan Department. Below are the reel numbers.
Harrison Co Reel 167: 1785-1808
Harrison Co Reel 168: 1809-1818
Harrison Co Reel 169: 1819-1836

If you have questions about the above you can email me directly.

Pat Duncan
GenNutLdn@msn.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic