wife (in 1808) was named Hannah. What was his relationship to
Hezekiah Whitt of Tazewell County? Richard Whitt, email:
whittrw@aol.com

WHITT, RUTHERFORD

Karen DaPra (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whitt, Witt, Skaggs, Munsey, Burgess
Since my hard drive crashed, this info not as complete as I would like but since I noticed your message was also posted in Jul 1997, would like to help you. The RUTHERFORD WHITT you refer to was WILLIAM RUTHERFORD WITT (but went by RUTHERFORD) born Apr 1774 m. Hannah Munsey & had 6 ch. Wm. Rutherford was son of Hezekiah Witt (b.abt 1738) & --- Burgess (I think I have her given name someplace). I have 9 known siblings for Wm. Rutherford.

Wm. Rutherford & Hannah are found in 1820 CENSUS for Overton Co, TN. In 1830 are in McMinn Co, TN. In 1840 & 1850 in Polk Co, TN (note Polk Co. was created in 1839 from that part of McMinn where they are found in 1830). Wm. Rutherford must have died by 1850 as Hannah is living with son Andrew S. Also note that the southeast corner of TN was Indian Lands in 1830 adjacent to McMinn Co.'s southern border.

Wm. Rutherford's father Hezekiah was the son of Richard Oney Witt & Regina (note Richard Oney m2 Mary Kimbrow). Hezekiah had two brother Rev. Richard & Edmund.

I mention this because Rev. Richard m1 Susannah Skaggs and had 9 ch including a son HEZEKIAH who m. Rachel (Skaggs?) abt 1782 in Montgomery Co, VA. This Hezekiah was born abt 1760 SC d. 11 Mar 1846 Tazewell Co, VA and buried in Whitt/Low Cem at "Old Whitt Home" near Cedar Bluff, Tazewell Co, VA. This is the Hezekiah you probably are referring to in your query.

What is your lineage in the Whitt line? I have lotsa info.

Karen

Whitt/Lowe cemetery

Becky Crawford (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LOWE, HURST, WHITT
I just noticed your post that mentioned the Whitt/Lowe cemetery in Baptist Valley. My gggrandfather was James Whitt Lowe who is also buried there. It is my understanding from family and records found in the Tazewell Cty Court House that James Whitt Lowe was originally a Hurst and was adopted by the Lowe family after his family was killed by Indians. I was wondering if his Whitt middle name was possibly a clue to who his birthparents were. I have been to the cemetery and would love to be able to clean it up. It really needs some TLC. Did the Lowe family purchase the property from the Whitt family, were they related? Becky

Whitt, Rutherford

Posted: 28 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2003 1:57AM GMT
Surnames: Whitt, Witt, Skaggs, Munsey, Burgess
Just an update to anyone wishing to contact me re: all previous Tazewell County Queries posted by me that my e-mail address has changed to: ddapra@home.com

RUTHERFORD, WHITT, LOWE

Posted: 17 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 4:46PM GMT
Surnames: RUTHERFORD, WHITT, LOWE
Do you know of a Rutherford/Whitt connection? I have a lot of Rutherford/Lowe's but only 3 Whitt's.

PATTON/WHITT

Karen Partain (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: PATTON, WHITT
Karen
I am researching my gg-grandparents George(?)PATTON who married Lucynthia WHITT. Birth dates unknown. Death's
George(?) 1886, Lucynthia 1884. Do you possibly have any information on this family. I do know there were 3 children, George, James Thomas b. 1875, and Margaret. George died in a coal mine/cave date unknown and Margaret died around 3 years of age after being thrown from a horse. It is believed they had a rather large farm in Russell Co. A Sibling of either George or Lucynthia moved onto the farm to raise James after the deaths of his parents. I dont believe George(Jr.) was alive at this time. Anyway James left the farm and went off to KY at the age of 16 and never went back. Do you happen to have this family in your line? Would appreciate any help you might be able to provide.
Thank you for your time.
Karen Partain
kfpar@mpinet.net

Patton,Whitt

Posted: 3 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2001 5:49AM GMT
Surnames: Patton, Lykins, Harper, Perkins, Buffington, Harkrider

Hi,my g-grandmother was Emma Patton who (m) Irvin
Lykins ,in Magoffin Co.Ky.or Morgan Co.Ky. I think
her father's middle name was (Logan) Patton. most of
my family came from Pa. and Tazewell Co. Va. an
North Carolina I need info. on all surnames listed
above.If anyone has imfo.on them, my E-mail is
Pattycakesky@webtv.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions