Search for content in message boards

Manage Media/Photos on Computer

Manage Media/Photos on Computer

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 11:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm new to Family Tree Maker for Mac2 and ancestry.com. I started by building my family tree on ancestry.com and saving media files to my computer for records (Census, etc.) and photos that I found. I set these up on my computer in a filing system by surname.

Now, I have installed and started using Family Tree Maker for Mac2 and synced it to my ancestry.com account. The primary reason I bought it was due to the syncing ability, since it doesn't have the best reputation as far as software goes (I had previously purchased Mac Family Tree, but found that as I build my family tree, the reimporting of GEDCOM files is wearing on me).

When I sync my FTM and ancestry.com, if I tell it to not download media, it will still download the photos - otherwise, it downloads all media. However, it just dumps it all into a single folder. Is there a way to reorganize this at all? I tried adding folders and moving the files within this master folder. Then I went into FTM and told it where the media file was moved to - and it made a copy of it back inside the massive single master folder it originally created.

Is this just how it is? Or is there a way to organize and perhaps even rename (I noticed it truncated names and/or renamed photos I uploaded to ancestry.com) the files? Or if I want an organized filing system for my media, do I just have to have my filing system and then let FTM do whatever it wants with it's big single folder?

Thanks!

Re: Manage Media/Photos on Computer

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 5:47AM GMT
I think that you may find it better to do all your editing etc in FTMM2 and link to your photos and use the category function in FTMM2 the same way as you organise your files.

When you link and sync your media will be attached to the people involved as shown in your AMT.

Working from FTM to the AMT and not the other way around will let you maintain your carefully indexed media

John D

Re: Manage Media/Photos on Computer

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 5:27AM GMT
Thanks for the tip. I've started organizing my media in FTM and it's working better for me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions