Search for content in message boards

POWERS, Catharine b.1820 Newmarket, Cork

POWERS, Catharine b.1820 Newmarket, Cork

Posted: 6 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jul 2003 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: POWERS, BISHOP
I'm looking for information on the POWERS family of Newmarket, Cork, specifically the parents and siblings of:

POWERS, Catharine b.ca 1820 from Newmarket, Cork
father: James POWERS
mother: Catharine ?_____
married: about 1843 to Anthony BISHOP probably of Ballyorgan, Limerick
Immigrated to New York City, 8 Apr 1847, on the St. George
children:

Catharine b.ca 1844 Ireland m.Henry BRADLEY ca 1864
Ellen b.ca 1847 Ireland
Frances b.ca 1851 New York City
Anthony b.4 Dec 1853 New York City
Mary Regina b.ca Nov 1859 New York City (my line)
Margaret b.ca 1862 New York City

Thank you.

Loretta at msgarvey@yahoo.com

russell linage

Posted: 30 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2002 12:09AM GMT
Surnames: russell
Your posting mentiones the Russell surname. I am related on my maternal side to Richard Russell who came to the US from the Buttevant area in county Cork. My information is that Richard,s father was William Christian Russell. However i am still seeking information on his siblings and any other family. Also Richard was born in 1829. let me know if you see a fit. Good luck. Jim Clarkson .... Brighton, Michigan USA

Russell connections

elizabeth (View posts)
Surnames: Bradley, Curry, Rowan, McDonough, McKelvie, Russell, Grogan, Condon, Smith, Leech, Leach, Kavagnaugh, Tennant, Edwards, Dennison, Marshall, Butler, Potter, Turner, Kitley, Hill, Price, Rutledge, Vaughn
I have included all my direct ancestors surnames that were known to have come to Canada from Ireland.

My great-great-grandmother was Catherine Russell (1803- 1879). She married Thomas Curry (1798-1885). They were from Kilrush, County Clare. She had at least two brothers, one named John and one named either Eomond or Edmund. Her mother's name was Mary.

Her brother John came to Canada ahead of her and was connected in some way to Col. George Wyndham, a wealthy Clare landowner. Both John and Catherine were educated persons and were able to read and write. This is all the information that I have on my Russell lines in Ireland. I do not know if these families are related to Sir Richard Russell's. There was some family lore that the family was connected at some time to Bunratty Castle.

The only families that I know certainly came from Cork are my Bradley, McKelvie, and Condon ancestors. Other ancestors came from Clare, Wexford, Galway, Limerick, and Carlow.

Good luck with your search for your families. I have found that looking for Cork and Clare families are very difficult.

If you ever discover a connection to the Ottawa Valley Canada maybe I can help.

russell linage

Edited: 21 May 2002 12:09AM GMT
Surnames: russell
Your posting mentiones the Russell surname. I am related on my maternal side to Richard Russell who came to the US from the Buttevant area in county Cork. My information is that Richard,s father was William Christian Russell. However i am still seeking information on his siblings and any other family. Also Richard was born in 1829. let me know if you see a fit. Good luck. Jim Clarkson Brighton, Michigan USA

Bradley and Powers families

Elizabeth (View posts)
Surnames: Bradley, Curry, McKelvie, McDonough, Russell, Condon
I also have a Bradley married to a Powers in my family tree as well. They are too young to be connected directly to yours, but perhaps I wil come across a mutual connection in my travels.

I have a Patrick James Bradley (1885-1963), son of John Bradley and Anna Rowan. John Bradley was from County Cork along with his parents Patrick Bradley, his wife Johannah McKelvie and their children. This family settled in the Ottawa Valley Canada.

Patrick James married a Hannah Catherine Powers (1883-1962)There were many Powers families in this area. Most families were from County Cork or County Limerick. Some of these Powers families left the Valley for the Chicago area.

I realize that there likely isn't a connection but I will look out for any I come across. These Bradley and Powers families were Roman Catholic.

Russell families

elizabeth (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Sorry I am taking so long to reply. Someone here accidentally dropped a bunch of e-mails in the delete file!
Thank you for your reply. My Russells came from Kilkie Kilrush, County Clare (to the best of my knowledge). Catherine Russell (1803 - 1879) was married to Thomas Curry (1798 - 1885). Catherine had at least a brother John Russell (1802 -1889)and a brother whose name was either Eomund, Esmund, or Edmonde (difficult to read the handwriting). I am leaning towards Esmonde because the Curry family when the settled in this area chose to call their location Esmonde but I am just guessing on that for purely romanticized reasons. Origionally the area was called Curry's Settlement. It remains Esmonde today. Catherine Russell also had at least one sister named Mary and her mother may have been named Mary as well. This info I am getting from letters written by her brother John.
It would not apear that our lines are connected, but I will look out for any along the way. I have not been having much luck establishing my Curry and Russell family in County Clare.

My best wishes on your search. Good luck. Elizabeth

Bradley Connections

Posted: 7 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: Bradley
Do you have any connection with John K. and Cornelius Bradley from County Cork?

WILLIAM H. SMITH

Posted: 8 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 11:29PM GMT
Surnames: smith
I am looking for information concerning William H. Smith. A hand written note from my ggrandmother said William came from County Cork Ireland.His birth date was listed as about 1784. H came to the U.S.A. befor 1811. He settled in Washington county, Maine. On Jan.7, 1811 he married Deborah Carter. They had eleven childern. William would be my gggggrandfather. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Bradley and Powers families

Posted: 12 Aug 2001 4:04PM GMT
Edited: 14 Aug 2001 1:40PM GMT
Surnames: Bradley, Powers
I don't think this will help you much, but my aunt Rose Powers(Bradley) was married to a Thomas Powers form NYC. sometime in the 40's...

Re: Bradley Connections

Posted: 3 Apr 2004 5:31AM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2005 2:29AM GMT
I am looking for a joyce faye bradley . She married a berry.
she was born about 1928.one of about 10 children.
thanks in advance tom and jan barton
per page

Find a board about a specific topic