Search for content in message boards

Joseph Carle Born abt 1856

Joseph Carle Born abt 1856

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 8:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carle
Hi, I wonder if someone might be able to assist me. I am struggling to find any more information on my relative Joseph Carle. He left Liverpool, UK on 17th October 1906 bound for New York on a ship called the Majestic. This is where I have lost him. He left his family back in England. on the 1901 census he was living with his wife 'Mary Carle' and his son 'Joseph Carle'. He left them to find his fortune in the USA.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be really appreciated. I am an amateur at this so please excuse me if I have missed anything obvious or made any glaring errors.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Joseph Carle Born abt 1856

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 9:08PM GMT
Was Joseph BORN in England or not? I found the 1901 English census with only ONE Joseph Carle having a wife Mary and he was born in Austria but living in Manchester, Lancashire.

If this is him having this information will help to find him in America.

Joan

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 9:16PM GMT
This may be him on the 1930 census:
Name: Joseph Y Carle
Birth Year: abt 1854
Birthplace: Ohio
Race: White
Home in 1930: San Diego, San Diego, California
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Germany
Mother's Birthplace: Switzerland
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Y Carle 76

...he says here he was born in Ohio ... but that may not be accurate.

Joan

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 9:19PM GMT
Yes that is him. But the the birth country is wrong on the census (it shows Austria, Hungsog). He was born in Hungary.

The rumours in the family is that he desserted his family when he went to the USA. His plans were to call on them when he settled there but that was the last they heard of him.

After speaking to a Hungarian friend, she thinks that he changed the spelling of his name when he originally came to England. The original spelling would most likely have been Jozsef Karle. There is a possibility he may have changed his name again in the USA if he didn't want to be found.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help.

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 9:23PM GMT
It may not be wrong at the time it said "Austria" since the Austro-Hungarian Empire probably was the reason for this listing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria-Hungary

Joan

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 9:34PM GMT
Thank you for this. I never knew this.

Thanks
Jonathan

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 9:36PM GMT
For what it is worth I didn't find him on the 1910 or 1920 censuses --- doesn't mean he isn't there...just that I couldn't find him. Obviously he was still living in 1930 and a ripe old age...you might want to try for an obituary sometime after 1930.

Posted: 8 Jun 2013 2:48AM GMT
There was a Joseph Carle, age 80 who died in San Diego on January 5, 1935. I looked in a couple of online sources, but only found him in a list of city deaths, no obit.

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 4:14PM GMT
Thanks everyone for your help.

It is really appreciated. The information has helped me a lot.

Thanks
Jonathan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions