Search for content in message boards

Vorbeck, Christian

Vorbeck, Christian

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Jun 2013 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: Vorbeck, Seemann
Still SIO on Christian Vorbeck (b.1828) in the region of Mecklenburg Germany (North of Hamburg). Christian sailed from the Port of Hamburg in April 1850 on the Ship Fortunatus bound for Quebec Canada. I believe his brother Johann or John sailed with him. The next place Christian shows up is in a 1855 Census of Grand Island NY near Buffalo. I believe he married a Anna Seemann(?)(See Seemann Post) circa 1855 and they had a total of five children while in NY. Anna and Christian, along with three children, moved to Livingston County Missouri circa 1868. There they lived out their remaining years.

I am interested in his life in Germany, parents and siblings also anything between Hamburg and Buffalo HY area. I appreciate any information and am willing to share data as always. Thank You.

Re: Vorbeck, Christian

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 11:13PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jun 2013 11:25PM GMT
If you go to this free site
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

and search on Christian Vorbeck as a exact phrase, a very interesting article from 1871 comes up. There was apparently a murder which occured in 1855, and in 1871 someone stated that Christian Vorbeck confessed to the murder on his deathbed. The newspaper in Chillicothe, Mo, where he was living in 1871, stated that Christian made no such confession, and was in fact alive and well! It didn't say much about the actual murder.

You can find the original article by searching on "an old time tragedy" forbeck as an all words search
The paper referred to him as Forbeck because that is how it was pronounced. The author of the article all but said Christian committed the murder, and that is why they had to write a retraction, I would guess!

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 2:55PM GMT
The Hamburg emigration record for Christian is online at Ancestry.ca (browseable only) and includes his place of birth which I interpret as Andorf. There may also be a Karl (Carl) Vorbeck travelling with him. Perhaps someone else on this board can give a full explanation of what is written on the record.
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 3:01PM GMT
It may be Audorf.

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 3:02PM GMT
Sorry, you should cross post on the Germany board for someone who can read the German script.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions