Search for content in message boards

Matthias Wagner Johnson Co, TN

Matthias Wagner Johnson Co, TN

Posted: 20 Jan 2010 11:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Two men named Matthias Wagner were living in Johnson Co. TN in the 1850 census. The younger, Matthias M. born 1801 is pretty well documented via a link at jctcuzins.org. I'm seeking information about the other one, born 1799.

Anybody have any information?

Re: Matthias Wagner Johnson Co, TN

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 3:33PM GMT
I am a descendant of the Wagner family and my sister is also looking for information on this particular Matthias Wagner (1799).

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 5:29PM GMT
I'd very much like to know any information she has found. I've only begun working on this line recently, but I'm increasingly confident that he may well have been my ggg-grandfather through daughter Sabra. The transcription of the 1850 census on ancestery.com mistakenly identifies the youngest 4 (I think)children in his household as having the last name of Loretta, including Sabra. She marries John L. Dunn in 1855 as Sabra Wagner. It is very unlikely that Lorreta is a last name, but rather a middle name (or compound first name) of Sabra's next oldest sister that some enthuseastic transcriber mistakenly carried forward for the rest of the household.

I have a lot of information, including photos, about my portion of this line forward from John L. and Sabra.

Seems unlikely that Matthias (1799) and Matthias M. (1801)were brothers, but it is certainly not impossible. Perhaps cousins? If I recall correctly, they lived only a few house numbers apart in the 1850 Johnson Co. census. Sure would like to find the common ancestor.

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 10:30PM GMT
Hello! I am the sister of the guy who responded to you!

Loretta is NOT a surname in that 1850 census. She is Nancy Loretta Wagner.

My line goes through:

Old Jacob Wagoner (1717-1799)
(Colonel) David Wagner (1759 - 1845) m. Mary Catherine Hagey.
Matthias Wagner (1799-?) m. Mary Vaught (1805-1875) (daughter of Joseph and Nancy Goodwin Vaught)
Noah Wagner (1845-1925) m. Polly Russell Jackson (daughter of James and Mahulda Dunn Jackson)
Noah Macon Wagner (1884-1968) m. Rose Potter (daughter of William M. and Elizabeth Amanda Sammons Potter)
Alice Amanda Wagner m. Edwin Earl Brown
Jeanne Rose Brown m. Gilbert James Rue, Jr.
me! (and my brother!)

If I remember correctly, Col. David Wagner did have a nephew Matthias, as well as a son, Matthias.

Lisa

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 6:22PM GMT
That is very helpful, but confusing in one place. Two on-line trees say that David Wagner (Col.?)and Mary Hagey only had one child, Jacob, born about 1790. They make no mention of Matthias (1799.) One of the two says that Mary (Hagey)Wagner died in or about 1790, nine years before Matthias was born. Are you familiar with this conflicting information and can you help clear it up?

Also, do you have any idea what the source of the Col. is that is attributed to David Wagner?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 9:46PM GMT
I have not seen any trees (nor proof) that Mary Hagey died in 1790. I have never seen, actually, any proof of anything regarding Mary Hagey. I don't even know where her name was gotten.

There are quite a few member trees on ancestry with Colonel David Wagner and Mary Catherine Hagey/Haga. They had a son, David Haga Wagner, born in 1804, died in 1891. So far, everything I've seen shows that David and Mary had about 7 children: John, Jacob, Susannah, Mathias, Joseph, David Haga, and Mary. David Haga was the last, born in 1804. There may be some discrepancies regarding the dates of birth of Joseph and Mary, because my notes list both of them as being born in 1797 (Mary born in June, not sure about Joseph).

I found a printout of a posting on rootsweb that says that Mary was the daughter of Hans George Hage, born 1699, died 1767 in Davidson County, NC and Anna Eva Frey, born 1718, died 1781 in Davidson County, NC. I have nothing beyond that concerning Mary Catherine Hagey's origins.

I'm thinking that the title "Colonel" was more an honorary one for David, as I don't remember anyone saying he served in the Revolutionary War. I believe that he contributed, but didn't actually enlist. I could be wrong; that's just my assumption at this point.

Lisa

Posted: 8 Feb 2010 3:25PM GMT
After spending some time doing searches and checking on-line trees, I'm pretty well convienced that this is not my lineage. My John L (Lee) Dunn is found in central and western Tennessee for some of the same periods that the J.L. Dunn who married Sabra Wagner was still in Johnson Co. Plus, I'm able to find them in different units of the Confederate Army.

Thanks for your help, but looks like I've got more searching to do.

Posted: 8 Feb 2010 5:18PM GMT
Any chance that we could see some of the pictures you have?

Posted: 10 Feb 2010 2:58AM GMT
I've not posted pictures here before, but I'll pull out the best one I have and give it a try, probably tomorrow.

Mike
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions