Search for content in message boards

Photos of Satu Mare (near Radauti)

Photos of Satu Mare (near Radauti)

Posted: 26 Mar 2006 2:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jun 2006 1:51PM GMT
First off, yes I know there are several Satu Mare townx/cities in Romania. The one I am interested in is just a couple of kilometers outside of Radauti. I am wondering if anyone has any photos of the town or countryside there and would be willing to share. I've found several photos of the Suceava countryside on webshots, but none that are identified as being of Satu Mare. My grandfather was born there along with all of his ancestors.

Salutari,

Brad

Satulmare

Posted: 14 Apr 2006 8:52AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2006 2:49PM GMT
Hi Brad

The correct spelling for this village is Satulmare. If you "google" under that spelling, you may find something.

"Satu Mare" is the large city in NW Romania (Szatmár-Németi in Hungarian).

Beth Long

Re: Satulmare

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 12:19PM GMT
Edited: 16 Apr 2006 3:49PM GMT
Happy Easter Everyone
Just like to clear up the spelling question for 'Satulmare' This spelling is wrong, I admit I was guilty for spelling it that way for a long time until I starting checking atlases (lots of atlases) and this town does not appear anywhere in Bukovina (Romania). The correct spelling is Satu Mare (Satul Mare is an alternative spelling), it is situated in Northwestern Romania, in the County of Satu Mare.
The other Satu Mare (Satulmare is an alternative spelling so the two towns don't get mixed up and who came up with this spelling...I have no idea) is situated in the County of Suceava and is about 8 km (as the crow flies) south east of Radautz (Rădăuţi) and 25 km north west of Illischestie (Ilişeşti). There is also another Rădăuţi in the County of Botoşani.

People have to remember that in Europe the name of a town can show up more than once in a country. I have one town in my data that shows up over 8 times in Germany alone and another 5 times in other countries. It is really important that when you quote a town to make sure you include the State and County (when the town appears in the same state more than once) and if there is two listings in the same county then include the nearest large town. I spend a long time sifting through atlases and old maps trying to fine where a town is and sometimes the towns quoted don't exist anymore or it never exited. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to do there research...just a tip.

Actuall spellings for 'Satulmare'
German - Sathmar, Hungarian - Szatmárnémeti, Romanian - Satu Mare.

Side Note:
This spelling thing is a sore spot for alot of people. Here are my three sore spots for wrong spellings:
1) Danube River does not exist (well it only exits in th English language). In Europe it is the Donau
2) Cologne...actuall spelling Köln or in English Koeln
3) Munich...actuall spelling München or in English Muenchen.
Anyway...I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Happy Hunting Tschüß Rick Rumpel

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 2:12PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2006 1:51PM GMT
Yes there are several Satu Mare / Satul Mare towns in what is now Romania. I mentioned this in my original post, but to clarify, the Satu Mare that I am interested in is near Radauti. It's a very small villiage dispite the meaning of the town name ;-) It's located 4 or 5 miles south of Radauti in Suceava county; thus, the reason I posted here.

My grandafther was born there and I know some family members and friends of the family have travelled there. Sucevita is not too far away from their either, and there are several photos of the town and it's monistary on the net, but nothing that I can find of the little villiage of Satu Mare or it's neighbouring countryside.

Many thx,

Brad

Beth Long (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2006 2:45PM GMT
Hi Brad,

I was in Bukovina last September, leading a tour group to the Hungarian villages. The closest we came to Satulmare was Istensegits (which is almost adjacent).

I was so busy leading the group that I didn't take many photos, but several in the group did take quite a few. If you like, I can put you in touch with some of them.

Beth

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 2:54PM GMT
Hi Rick,

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but feel I must mention two things:

1. Szatmárnémeti has only one name in Romanian (Satu Mare; never "Satulmare")

2. The river is called the Donau only in the German-speaking countries through which it flows (it is called the Duna in Hungary, the Dunav in Serbia, and the Durarea in Romania).

Beth

Bill Martin (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2006 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: KNIELING WENDLING
Johann Dressler's compilation of the Illischestie, Austria church records uses Satulmare numerous times. I personally have never seen the original records from Illischestie, so I don't know what was written in them, but I suspect it was Satulmare, the same as Dressler used in his compilation of those records. Irmgard Ellingson translated Dressler's work into English for publication in the US and she also uses Satulmare. I don't think using Satulmare vs Satu Mare causes very many problems. For that matter Illischestie has a bunch of spellings also. I am using what seems to be the most accepted version in English.

Posted: 30 Jun 2006 11:18AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2006 12:28PM GMT
Johann Dressler has two books on Illischestie, the one that contains family information which Irmgard Ellingson translated and the other entitled 'Chonnik der Bukowiner Landgemeinde Illischestie' Published in 1900 by Pannonia-Verlag Freilassing. This book has not yet been translated, but I think Irmgard is working on it, and is available (in Germany) at many libraries. I have gone through the book and it is very interesting, although family information is very limited.

Posted: 2 Jul 2006 8:45PM GMT
Hi Bill,

Yes, Satulmare is the correct spelling for the village in Bukovina. "Satu Mare" is always the town in NW Romania (i.e. the former Szatmar, Hungary).

They are not interchangeable.

Illischestie is the German spelling; the village has a slightly different spelling in Romanian.

Beth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic