Search for content in message boards

BROOKS, BILLINGSLEY

BROOKS, BILLINGSLEY

Tom Rue (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BROOKS, BILLINGSLEY
I am interested in the following Bell County family: Joab BROOKS and Florence Rosalee BILLINGSLEY, married in Belton, 17 Sept. 1871 (see below family).
See my page at http://www.catskill.net/rue/family/brooks/

Anything on these surnames in Bell County would be appreciated. Thanks.

The following is cut from my page
http://www.catskill.net/rue/family/brooks/lineage.htm

V.

Joab W. BROOKS (Farmer), b. 15 November 1838 in Carroll County, Tenn.;
m. Florence Rosalee BILLINGSLEY in Bell County, Texas on 17 September 1871;
d. 22 September 1908 in Corpus Christi, Nueces County, Texas; who had children:

1. George Harmon BROOKS, b. Dec. 1872 in Bell County, Tx.

2. Aaron Thomas BROOKS, b. 1876 in Bell County, Tx.

3. Joseph Winfield BROOKS, b. Nov. 1877 in San Angelo, Tx.

4. David Pittman BROOKS, b. Dec. 1880 in Tx.

5. Caleb Sewell BROOKS, b. 3 Dec. 1884 in Tx.

6. Sweeney Lane BROOKS, b. 7 July 1886 in Tx.

7. Beulah Myrtile BROOKS, b. 8 Aug. 1889 in Silverton, Briscoe Co., Tx.

8. Aureba Comfort BROOKS, b. 15 Nov. 1892 in Silverton, Briscoe, Tx.

9. Jessie Bryant BROOKS, b. 12 Oct. 1894 in Silverton, Briscoe, Tx.

(Sources: marriage certificate [LDS #981-034] and correspondence with #9 and with descendants of the above children in my possession; 1860 US Census, Jackson Township, Sevier County, Arkansas, 135:983 [enumerated with
three apparently unrelated men]; 1870 US Census, Bell County, Beat No. 3, Texas 23:193 [enumerated with wife, Mary BROOKS, age 22, b. in Alabama]; 1880 US Census [with wife Florence R. BROOKS, age 25, and six of the above
listed children], Bell County, Division No. 4, Texas, 37:310; 1900 US Census, Brisco County, Precinct No. 1, Texas, 1:3 [with Florence R. BROOKS and six of the above named children.])

Thanks.
Tom

TOM RUE | CARMEN RUE | Opinions are the writer's alone.
POB706 Monticello NY 12701-0706, USA | mailto:Tom@Rue.net
http://www.catskill.net/rue/ | ICQ - 16506952 | c. 1999

Re: BROOKS, BILLINGSLEY

Posted: 28 Jun 2006 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks, Allman, Pittman
I think that Joab Brooks may be related to my Comfort Jane Brooks. She married (1) Thomas P. Allman 10/14/1847 in Marshall Co., MS. Then she married (2) David J. Pittman 3/1/1866 in Sevier Co., ARK. I couldn't help but notice that one of Joab and Florence's kids was named Aureba Comfort Brooks and another David Pittman Brooks. Comfort Jane Brooks Allman Pittman was born in Tn (if my memory serves me correctly) per census records. Please contact me

Posted: 3 Mar 2008 8:17PM GMT
Tom,
The George Harmon Brooks you listed is my ggrandfather. He had five sons with Ona Mae Hancock and the oldest son passed away year in Natalia, Texas. I was at the funeral and lead the singing for the service.
I have an account detailing how Joab and Rosalee moved from northern Texas down to the Rio Grande Valley. It must have been quite an adventure with all those wagons.
I can't access my tree right now, but I believe you are correct about Joab being related to Comfort. I believe she is listed in my tree as one of the siblings.

Posted: 4 Mar 2008 3:28AM GMT
Surnames: Brooks, Allman
I hope you can access your info soon, I sure would love to know what you have on Comfort Jane. I think she is related in someway to Joab W. Comfort J. was b. in April 22, so she was considerably older than Joab W. She could of been from a first wife, or maybe was a cousin? She is enumerated on the 1860 Scott Co., Ark. census with her first husband, Thomas S. "Almond" (is actually Allman). Also enumerated with Thomas and Comfort were a William Brooks, age 17 b. Ms and a Nancy age 13 b. Ms. I believe that William and Nancy were children of Joab (1794-1873) and wife Nancy. On the 1860 Scott Co., Ark were "Jacob" W. Brooks along with Thomas, Martha and the father, Joab.

Posted: 19 Jun 2011 3:52AM GMT
Sammy, I'd love a copy of the account of Joab and Rosalee moving to the Valley. I never knew they lived in the Valley. Thought only George and Ona went.

Posted: 19 Jun 2011 4:03AM GMT
Joab and Florence were my g-grandparents. Their son George Harmon Brooks was my grandfather. He married Ona Mae Hancock. Their son Wilson Freeman Brooks was my father. George and Ona lived in the Rio Grande Valley from the early 1930s until their deaths. George died in about 1937 and Ona in about 1983.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic