Search for content in message boards

Joel & Joseph Canterbury of Giles VA & Gallia OH

Joel & Joseph Canterbury of Giles VA & Gallia OH

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 7:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Canterbury, Canterberry
The 1840 census for Gallia County, Ohio shows a Joel Canterbury and a Joseph Canterbury living next door to each other. Both are from Virginia. Joel is age 60-70. Joseph is age 30-40.

I have been told that "Isaac Joel & Sarah Canterbury" are the parents of Joseph Canterbury.... Does anyone have proof of this? (or know anything more about the parents?)

And is the "Joel" on the 1840 Gallia census the same "Isaac Joel" said to be Joseph's father?

I have been told Joseph comes from Giles, VA. And there is this:

1830 census of Giles, VA lists a Joel, Joseph, Joseph, and James Canterbury.

1820 census of Giles, VA lists a Joel, Joseph, and Jane Canterbury.

1810 census of Giles, VA lists a Joel and Joseph Canterbury.

Does anyone know who the other Joseph is??

Also, I have also been told that Joseph married Nancy Bowen. Does anyone have proof of this?

And, there is a Levi Canterbury in Lawrence Co & Gallia Co around the same time as Joel & Joseph. Levi appears to have come from Monroe County, VA. Does anyone know the connection (if any) between Joel, Joseph and Levi?

If you have any info, I'd appreciate it.
Sincerely, Heather

Re: Joel & Joseph Canterbury of Giles VA & Gallia OH

Posted: 23 Sep 2011 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Canterbury, Hatten
Hello Heather,

My 3rd great grandmother was Mary Adaline CANTERBURY. She married William Gardner HATTEN on 11 Dec 1836. Mary was b. 4 Feb 1818 in VA. They lived in Cabell and Wayne Cos., VA until the mid 1860s when the moved west. In 1850, there is a Joseph CANTERBERRY aged 40 living in their household. Mary named a son, Joel. There is a girl the right age to be Mary in the household of Joel CANTERBURY in 1820 and 1830. In one census (1870) it gives Mary's birthplace as OH. That's where Joel CANTERBURY ended up (in Gallia Co.). I'd be interested in hearing how you are descended from Joel CANTERBURY and if you have learned anything else about the family since posting this message. Thanks.

Barton Lewis
Brooklyn, NY

Posted: 23 Sep 2011 5:04AM GMT
Edited: 20 Oct 2011 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: Canterbury, Canterberry
Hi Barton,

*Edited for errors* -- I have not found anything on my Joel Canterbury (my ggggg-grandfather) beyond a marriage record for my Joseph which lists his father as Joel and his wife as Nancy Bowen.

Others online seem to have my Joel & Joseph as being a descendant of John Canterbury (son of Roger) who came here from England in the late 1600s or early 1700s. (I've never found any direct sources for that though.)

It seems your Joel & Joseph seem to be regarded as the sons of Asa Canterbury who came from England in the mid 1700s.

Posted: 27 Sep 2011 1:54AM GMT
Thanks Heather. I looked up the other Joel Canterbury son of Asa and no one has any dates or other information for him, other than that his father was b. 1720. Since Mary Adaline was b. 1818, I'm thinking Asa probably wasn't her grandfather, since it's kind of unusual for a grandparent to be 100 years older than oneself. The census data line up with Mary Adaline being a son of your Isaac Joel, and Mary was reputedly married in Gallia Co., OH where Isaac Joel lived, so I'm inclined to think that's her father. None of the trees I saw online for him account for a daughter born 1815-1820.

I'll let you know if I find out anything more. Thanks for writing back.

Barton

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 7:36PM GMT
Surnames: Canterbury
Hi Heather,

Could you tell me the date of the marriage for your Isaac Joel Canterbury and place? Do you have the names of his children, and if so, how do you know them? Presumably you know he was the father of an ancestor, so I'd appreciate how you know that. I feel he's the best candidate to be the father of Mary Adaline Canterbury. Barring known information to the contrary, I'd like to keep pursuing that lead. Finally, did you ever search for a will or probate record for him in Gallia County?

Barton Lewis

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 10:40PM GMT
Edited: 20 Oct 2011 11:15PM GMT
*EDITING ORIGINAL REPLY*... I don't have a marriage date or place for Joel & Sarah. (The date I originally posted in case you read this before I had a chance to edit was a possible birth date). My Joseph was born 1804 so I imagine they were married shortly before then.

The only thing, at the moment, that I feel sure of is that I did find a Montgomery, VA marriage record for my Joseph Canterbury that said he was the son of Joel Canterbury.

I also viewed the pension application for my William Canterbury (son of Joseph, grandson of Joel) and found that he was cousin to James L. Canterbury who is the son of Hugh Canterbury. Thus, Hugh and Joseph would be brothers.

There is a Joel Canterbury & Sarah living next to Hugh on the 1850 Gallia Co, OH census. And there is an Isaac Canterbury & Sarah living next to Hugh on the 1860 Gallia Co, OH census.

I have Isaac Joel's kids as being Joseph, James, Nancy, Hugh, Robert, and possibly William. I will have to find my notes though on the connections with James, Nancy, Robert, and William. (Off-hand though, I do know that James' marriage record mentions a Joel Canterbury, there's a Nancy Davis living with Joel on the 1850 census, and a Robert on the 1860 census.)

I have not found a will for Joel in any of the books or records online that I've searched.

*EDITING to ADD* -- If the Joel Canterbury in 1820 & 1830 Giles, Va is in fact "my Joel" (which I think it is), he does appear to have 2 daughters. Nancy fits in for the older daughter (born about 1810). I have no info on who the younger daughter could be other then being born between 1810 & 1820 and most likely married (or died) between 1830 & 1840. There also appears to be at least one son (possibly 2) for this Joel that I do not have a record of...

Posted: 21 Oct 2011 8:56PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I have ordered Mary A. Canterbury's marriage record. If she is Joel's daughter, I'm hoping it mentions him. Will keep you posted.

Posted: 1 Feb 2014 2:50PM GMT
Hi Heather, can you contact me at bartonlewis@optonline.net. I have some information to share.

Barton Lewis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions