Search for content in message boards

SAXON puzzles - - -

SAXON puzzles - - -

Ron Head (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2005 10:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jun 2010 7:10AM GMT
Surnames: SAXON
After over thirty-five years of SAXON research, I'm still trying to solve these puzzles relating to SAXON's who probably connect to my wife's ancestral line from Laurens Co., SC (having come to that area ca 1770's from NC, and to there from New Kent Co., VA and environs):

parents of presumed brothers Pleasant SAXON (born ca 1801 Laurens SC—died 1841 Monroe Co., MS) and William Q. SAXON (born ca 1804 Laurens SC—died 1860’s Lowndes / Oktibbeha Co., MS)

husband of Sarah SAXON (born ca 1785 SC—died after 1860 when in Laurens SC), who had children Elizabeth (ca 1805; prob. mother of Jackson SAXON b. 1826); Lewis B. (1807); John Pierce (ca 1810); Sarah (ca 1820); Wesley (ca 1829); and Julius/Jane (ca 1835).

parents of these presumed siblings: Toliver SAXON (born ca 1790); William SAXON (born perhaps ca 1792, died 1849 Shelby Co., AL; married Mary in Newberry Co., SC 19 Sep 1813); John SAXON (b. ca 1797 SC; later in Mobile Co., AL and Clarke Co., MS); Martin SAXON (b. ca 1801 NC?; later in Cherokee Co., AL); Alexander (b. ca 1803 SC; res. later in Mobile Co., AL)—Martin, John, & Alexander were in Murray Co., GA in 1834.

parents of these presumed siblings: Benjamin SAXON (b. ca 1803 SC—d. after 1880 when in Wood Co., TX; married ca 1820-30 in SC: Sarah unknown); William SAXON (b. ca 1805 SC—d. 1860’s Talladega or Clay Co., AL; m. 9 Jan 1833 in Henry Co., GA: Elizabeth HARRILL)

parents of William H. SAXON (b. ca 1780 NC—d. after 1860 when in Union Co., SC) married to Margaret unknown ca 1813 prob. in SC; children: Ruth Caroline (b. ca 1814 SC); Robert D. (b. 1815 SC); Samuel B. (b. ca 1820 GA); Adam Sanders (b. 1821 GA); Mary Ann (b. ca 1823 GA); Annas T. (b. ca 1825 GA); William A. (b. ca 1827 GA); Verlinda (b. ca 1829 GA); Margaret (b. ca 1832 GA); Jonathan (b. ca 1835 GA)

confirmation that (Ambrose) Joshua SAXON (born ca 1760, died 1817 Claiborne Co., MS) was a son of Charles SAXON and Judith SMITH of Laurens SC, and a grandson of Ambrose Joshua SMITH (who d. 1758 Orange Co., NC).

parents of Manoah SAXON (b. ca 1780—d. ca 1816 Franklin Co. GA?) who married Nancy HORTON 25 Dec 1804 in Laurens SC, and died shortly after his service from GA in the War of 1812. Widow Nancy later lived in Randolph Co., AL. They apparently had these children: John Horton (b. ca 1807 SC); James (b. ca 1809 Franklin Co., GA); Benjamin F. (b. ca 1814 GA); Robert Howard (b. ca 1815-20 GA); Charles Mote (b. 1817 GA—d. 1906 Chickasaw Co., MS)

parents of Atha SAXON (b. ca 1774-80—d. ca 1816 Greenville Co., SC) married ca mid-1790’s to Susannah unknown; res. of Laurens SC in 1800 and 1810; had these children: Luraney (b. 1794-1804); Noah (b. ca 1803—d. after 1860 when in Richmond Co., GA); Mary “Polly” (b. ca 1804-10); John (b. ca 1810-20); Atha (b. ca 1810-20)

parents of these assumed siblings with Burke Co., GA connections: Henry SAXON (b. 1775 NC—d. 1856 Leon Co., FL; m. Judith SMITH & Elizabeth OLIVER); William SAXON (b. ca 1780’s—d. 1830’s Burke Co., GA; m. Celia/Cecelia unknown); Samuel SAXON (b. ca 1784—d. 1820-30 prob. in Burke Co., GA; m. Jemima unknown); Benjamin Y. SAXON (b. ca 1790’s—d. after 1830 when in Burke Co., GA); John SAXON (b. ca 1790’s—d. bef. 1850 prob. in Burke Co., GA; m. Mary unknown who died after 1860 when in Burke Co., GA)

parents of Benjamin Thomas SAXON born 22 Feb 1819 Madison Co., AL, died 7 Apr 1842 Newberry, SC (from obit: “a member of the bar, and late Commissioner in Equity, for Lexington District… uniting himself to the Presbyterian Church.”)

parents of James H(enry?) SAXON born 1790’s SC, died after 1835 when in Greene Co., AL; res. of Wilcox Co., AL 1826 (Masonic Lodge membership) and Marengo Co., AL 1830 (census). Was security on 1830 Wilcox Co. will of Eli TERRY, Jr. (whose sister Mary Collingsworth TERRY married in 1829 Autauga Co., AL Benj. Wadsworth SAXON—son of James SAXON & Ann (ELMORE) CRADDOCK). 1830 census implies two sons and two daughters born since 1815. [May be the J. H. “SAXTON” in 1840 Rankin Co., MS (Brandon), but children’s ages don’t match well.]

If you can help solve any of these puzzles, please drop me a line!

Ron Head (Montgomery, AL)

Re: SAXON puzzles relating to Laurens Co., SC family

Posted: 23 Jun 2005 4:17AM GMT
Surnames: Saxon
Are you in contact with Leslie Pierce Royce regarding Joshua Saxon?

Posted: 28 Sep 2005 9:57PM GMT
Mr. Ron Head, I read with great interest about the Saxon Family in Laurens Co. SC. I am researching my relatives and have some information. John Pierce Saxon born Dec 14, 1811, died Aug 10, 1866 was married May 7, 1844 to Nancy Powell Rosamond who was born Feb 18, 1818, and she died Nov 21, 1899.

John Pierce Saxon's father was Charles Saxon who was born Feb 7, 1790 and died Jun 14, 1831 - he married Judith Pierce on Dec 25, 1810. Judith was born Jun 9, 1792 and died Dec 22, 1811.

Charles Saxon's father was Capt. Lewis Saxon born Dec 10, 1765 and he died Oct 31, 1813 - he was married Feb 1, 1789 to Sarah Allen who was born Jan 29, 1769 and she died May 26, 1851.

Capt. Lewis Saxons father was Charles Saxon Sr. Charles Sr. married the sister of George Washington - Betty Washington Lewis, widow of Fielding Lewis of Virginia. Betty Washington Lewis Saxon is buried in the old Saxon burying ground seven miles out from Laurens, South Carolina.

The daughter of John Pierce Saxon and Nancy Powell Rosamond is Martha Hill Saxon who was born Aug 18, 1850 and died Sep 3, 1930 - she married Feb 14, 1877 to Francis Marion Buzhardt born Jul 3, 1858 and died Sept 3, 1930.

Martha Hill Saxon and Francis Marion Buzhardt are my great grandparents.

I am in the process of researching carefully all of the above. What I have is a paper - "Record of Service in Revolution" which the source is from the Saxon family Bible which is in the D.A.R. Archives, Washington, D.C. and sent there by Sarah (Sally) Allen Saxon to establish claims to pension of Revolutionary soldier's widow; tombstones in Saxon cemetery; Mills Statistics of South Carolina published 1826; Historical Commission in Columbia, S.C. Claim W. File #21791 (?) or 21797 Revolutionary Wars. Sarah was granted a pension January 3 under this claim for services of her husband during the war.

I hope we can help each other with the Saxon puzzles. Sincerely, Carol J. Morrow

Posted: 31 May 2010 10:53PM GMT
Carol,

Did you actually see a copy of the Saxon family bible. I am the GGGGrandson of Manoah Saxon, allegedly, the brother of Lewis, son of Charles and Betty Washington Lewis. Does the bible clear any of this up?

Posted: 1 Jun 2010 1:17AM GMT
Surnames: SAXON, SMITH, ALLEN, BACON
jsaxon1212 (what an interesting name you have!)--

The Bible records included in the Revolutionary widow's pension application filed by Sally (Allen) Saxon McNees, widow of Capt. Lewis Saxon, provide only the names and dates for the children of Capt. Lewis Saxon and his wife Sally Allen.

What evidence, even circumstantial, have you seen that Manoah Saxon was a brother of Capt. Lewis Saxon?

To the best of my knowledge, after over forty years of research on this family, there is NO evidence that Capt. Lewis Saxon's mother was "Betty Washington Lewis." There is excellent evidence, however, that the wife of Charles Saxon (Capt. Lewis Saxon's father) was named Judith. She was almost certainly a daughter of Ambrose Joshua Smith, whose estate was appraised and recorded May Court, 1763, Orange Co, NC, return made by John Spann, Jr. He left 610 acres in Rowan Co, NC and 250 acres in Orange Co NC (later Chatham Co.) Bondsmen on his estate were Benjamin Blake and Benjamin Saxon. Charles & Judith Saxon almost certainly named a son Ambrose Joshua Saxon, for her father. Ambrose Joshua Saxon and his brother Capt. Lewis Saxon married sisters, Lucy and Sally Allen. Judith (Smith) Saxon's brother Charles H. Smith (ca 1740 Louisa Co., VA--1811 Laurens Co., SC) was married sometime after 1775 (as her second husband) to Mrs. Lucy (Bacon) Allen, mother of Lucy and Sally ALLEN and mother-in-law of Ambrose Joshua and Capt. Lewis SAXON.

Posted: 2 Jun 2010 4:50AM GMT
Your answer is the following - SOURCE OF INFORMATION - This information regarding Lewis Saxon was taken from Saxon family Bible which is in the DAR Archives, Washington, DC and sent there by Sarah (Sally) Allen Saxon to establish claims to pension of Revolutionary soldier's widow; tombstones in Saxon cemetery; Mills Statistics of South Carolina published 1826; Historical Commission in Columbia, South Carolina Claim W. File #21791 Revolutionary Wars. Sarah was granted a pension January 3 under this claim for services of hr husband durding the war.

You can make an inquiry to DAR Archives, Washington, DC. I did not hear of Manoah Saxon as a brother of Lewis Saxon and as the children of Charles Esq Saxon and Judith Lewis are as follows as much as my understanding is concerning - Lewis, Ambrose Joshua, Samuel, Tabitha, Polly, Hugh, Sarah. Carol

Re: SAXON puzzles

Posted: 4 Jun 2010 10:10PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2010 6:32PM GMT
Hi Ron...I'm still out here not finding out anything about Pleasant Saxon. I'm glad you are still researching too. You have been a source of wonderful information on Saxons for a long time. Many thanks.
Been reading your recent posts and it got me wondering who the children(sons) of Ambrose Joshua Saxon were. I don't think I have any information on him. I've always thought Pleasant was born about 1801 and suspected that William Q was his brother, but have no facts to prove either.
Best wishes Mary Lou Saxon Jobes mmljobes@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 7 Jun 2010 9:19PM GMT
Ron,

The only thing that I have seen that has Manoah as brother of Lewis also has him as brother to Yancy Saxon, killed at Hayes Station. This was listed in a geneology done by the Graves family...there is no concrete evidence that I have seen. Manoah's parents are still a mystery. There is little doubt that his parents are in the New Kent County,VA; Halifax County, NC; and Laurens County, SC clan of Saxons, but where he fits is only a guess. I would love to solve this mystery on behalf of my family. Manoah was Charles Mote's father, who was Thomas Fortson's father, who was John Davis's father, who was my father Samuel Saxon's father. I, John Walter Saxon am father to Daniel John Saxon. It'd be nice to connect back a few more generations. Anyway, thanks for the information.

Posted: 8 Jun 2010 1:22PM GMT
Carol,

Thank you very much for your time and the information provided. One day, someone will solve the mystery of Manoah's parents.

John

Re: SAXON puzzles - - -

Posted: 20 Apr 2012 12:56AM GMT
Ron,

I believe the Samuel Saxon in the 1820 census for Burke Co., GA is the son of Benjamin and Sara Green. The age doesn't match but the census may be incorrect. Happens sometimes. Benjamin's will of 1784 appoints his son, Samuel, as guardian for his daughter, Mary, making Samuel at least 21 then and 57 in 1820. He died in 1824. Samuel's wife is surely, Jemima Attaway, daughter of Joseph Attaway. The Attaways and Saxons were acquainted in Laurens,SC and all moved to Burke Co., GA and lived next to each other.
May I ask a favor? How do you know the children of Samuel and Jemima? I can't find any offical proof. Would love your help.

Linda

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions