Search for content in message boards

Weldonians

Weldonians

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2005 2:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jun 2005 5:24AM GMT
Need information re: their beginnings. Where did they start in CA? Are there any yearbooks at a school? or in library?

Re: Weldonians

pat (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2005 9:13PM GMT
I found this on the google search engine.
http://www.alkos.com/prha/newsletters/TPIT%20AprilMay,%20200...
The Weldonians
If you played a musical instrument during your early education years and were talented enough you would be asked to join the Weldonians. The Weldonians were a group of music students, let by Wledonian Leonardson, sho in 1937 was organized to for a marching band.. The band developed into a group of 200 young musicians and majorettes. They became a prize winning marching band which won acclaim all over California. The group consisted of the Weldonian Starlights, the Weldonian Majorettes and the Weldonian Show Band.

Terra (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2005 4:45AM GMT
I know a little about the Weldonians. What would you like to know?
T

Bob Watson (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2006 5:25PM GMT
I was in the band in 1952 to 1957 or 58. Are there any members around? I also taught beginners at the studio.

I know where Francie Greth is. That is about all.

Bob Watson

Posted: 15 Sep 2006 10:04PM GMT
Bob:

I remember you playing the drums. I was in the Weldonians from 1954 to 1962 and played the trombone. I am in touch with Hank Kugler (trumpet), Bob Blackshere (trombone), and Mike Liserra (drums). I talked with Bob Galetti about five years ago. How do I get in touch with you? Hank and I live in the Dallas area, Blackshere is near San Leandro and Liserra in Grass Valley.

Mike Strand

Posted: 4 May 2009 9:44PM GMT
Hi everyone, this information I see has been posted several years ago. Please go to FaceBook.com and in the search cell put in Weldonian Marching Band and join the group. Many have joined and we want you too. You can also contact me at:

mleonardson@yahoo.com

Have fun reveiwing all of the photos in the Group on FaceBook.

Posted: 25 Jul 2009 10:10PM GMT
Thank you so much for the heads up about the Weldonian Facebook group. I just joined. I came across this rather old discussion while researching for a blog post about my mom, Patsy Speer Hamilton, who was the baton twirler with the Half Moon Bay Spanishtown Dons. She met my father, Arthur "Bud" Hamilton, while he was marching as a drummer with the Weldonians in the 1950's.

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 2:06AM GMT
I joined the band around '74-'75. I went to the Worlds fair in Spokane WA. in '76. The first time away from my parents.
I lost my wallet on one the basses. Anyone remember that me?
I played the trumpet in the Show band with Doug, and Michelle was head of the majorettes, and played sousaphone in the marching band. My sister played glockenspiel in the marching band , and base in the Show band. Pat was Drum Major and Doug was some times. Mr Leonardson had passed while was in the band. I will never forget this experience.
Robert Seright

Posted: 26 Nov 2011 2:55PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Leaonardson, Patenaude
I and my sister, Karen, were both members of the Weldonians. I joined in 1967 and stayed until 1972 or 73, can't remember at the moment what year I left.

I played trumpet in both the parade and show band, and I still play trumpet and like to play flugelhorn most of the time any more, with which I often accompany church choirs and congregational singing in church. When traveling I carry a pocket trumpet most of the time, just in case there's the opportunity to join in at a camp meeting or revival meeting.

We met at the Southland Mall in Hayward on Monday evenings, Chabot Junior College on Saturday afternoons, where we practiced marching in the parking lots, had seat challenges in the music department rooms, and so forth. We met up on High Street in Oakland on Thursday evenings for show band practice.

I would like to have a copy of the Weldonian Handbook from that period, and am particularly interested in having copies of the speeches in the back that we all had to memorize and recite on Monday evenings when working to make rank.

I did a lot of the certificate caligraphy for promotions and other purposes.

I can say that I did acquire much of the discipline of my life from the training I received in the Weldonians; I would not trade the experience gained there for anything.

I was in the Air Force when Mr. Leonardson passed away and was deeply grieved at his passing. I thought of him as a great man.

Robert E. Patenaude
Campbellsburg, Indiana
Baptist Missionary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions