Search for content in message boards

Browning, James Madison maried to Elsie P Rotton Browning

Browning, James Madison maried to Elsie P Rotton Browning

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 1:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
My parents were from Alabama. I am trying to locate relatives. I had an Uncle John Browning from Alabama. Since my father's death in 1948, and my mothers death in 1957, I have no contacts to the family. All eleven sibblings are also deceased. I would love to have communiction from someone related. I was told that we were distantly related to Browning's with Browning Automatic guns, not real sure.

Re: Browning, James Madison maried to Elsie P Rotton Browning

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 7:25AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2013 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: Browning, Rotton, Stone, Coleman
I have Brownings up in KY, but I don't think they are directly connected to your Alabama bunch.

I do see a couple of trees on www.ancestry.com that show:
James Madison Browning
Birth Nov 1878 in Alabama, USA
Death 28 Sep 1948 in Alexander City, Tallapoosa, Alabama

He married to Sarah Frances Arnold (1878 – 1927) and had Vernon (1902-1973), Mary Ella (1905-1974), Myrtle (1907- ), Bernice (1912-1963), and Hugh W. (1918-1997). Plus maybe one more child. This tree mentions Elsie too, but doesn't list a marriage date or location.

The parents of James M. (b.1878) are James Madison "Jim" Browning Jr (1850 – 1925) and Harriett Ann Stone
(1849 – 1886). Jim Jr's parents were James Madison "Matt" Browning (1824 – 1910) and Anastasia "Stacie" Coleman
(1830 – 1926).

There are eight trees that list James Madison Browning and Harriet Ann Stone on WorldConnect:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 1:22AM GMT
Thank you so much, this means so much to me. I have never know any of this information. In addition to the six sibbling my father had in his first marriage, with my mother, he fathered 12 children and I am the youngest. All are deceased but me.
"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own.. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
So true. I am truly grateful. I am going to attempt at researching when my father and mother married. Wish me luck.

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 6:14PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2013 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: Browning, Rotten, Wroten
Hi Although I'm connected to the Browning family I'm stuck and unable to give information on that line. I'm interest in your Rotten line...my line is Wroten. Do you have information on your Wroten's?

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 3:46AM GMT
That is so poetic and so true. Thank you for sharing that gem!

If you have some idea where and about when your folks may have married, I could help look for records a little bit this weekend. Www.familysearch.org often has some good tidbits on it.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 5:59AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2013 5:04PM GMT
Surnames: Browning, Rotton
I found a transcription of this record on familysearch.org

name: Bobby Wayne Browning
death date: 10 Feb 1941
death place: Waverly, Chanbers, Alabama
race (original): White
race (standardized): White
age at death: 1d 6hrs.
estimated birth date:
birth date: 08 Feb 1941
birthplace: Waverly Rt. 2
marital status: Single
father's name: James M. Browning
father's birthplace: Ashland, Ala.
mother's name: Elsie Rotton
mother's birthplace: Alex City, Ala.
street address: Rt. 2
residence: Waverly Rural, Tallapoosa, Ala.
cemetery:
burial place: Antioch Talla., Ala.
burial date: 10 Feb 1941

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 6:05AM GMT
Here's another child. Judging by these dates, your folks must have married sometime between 1927 and 1933.

name: Wanderce Browning
death date: 18 Sep 1934
death place: Alexander City, Tallapoosa, Alabama
age at death: 4m 18d
birth date: 30 Apr 1934
father's name: J. Mat Browning
mother's name: Elsie Rotton
burial place: Rockey Creek
burial date: 18 Sep 1934

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 6:16AM GMT
I hope this works for you. This is an image of the 1940 census record for your family.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-27779-4317-58?...

If you click on the little gray arrow at the top, you should see the next page that lists more of the children that were born by that time.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 6:45AM GMT
Surnames: Rotton
Looking at both the 1910 census and this WorldConnect listing - it appears that Elsie's parents were Gilles Beauregard Rotton and Alice P. Carl.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 3:50PM GMT
This is truly amazing, and I do appreciate your doing this for me. I do a lot of computer work with the hospital where I work but have no skills in maneuvering around in this web site. You don't know how grateful I am. I did have another brother Bobby Wayne that died before I was born but have no information or anything on him. THanks you again for your kindness and help. Deanie Browning Holland
per page

Find a board about a specific topic