Search for content in message boards

Higgins family

Higgins family

Posted: 3 Nov 2011 12:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Higgins, Downing
I am trying to find information on Ann Higgins and Ellen Higgins Downing. They were born in Mullinmahan, Parish of Ballymore, Co. Westmeath. This information comes from a cemetery gravesite in the US. The memorial was for Ann from her sister Ellen. Would like to know also, if Mullinmahan and Ballymore are correct.

Judy Downing

Re: Higgins family

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 6:31AM GMT
The name Ballymore is listed as a Parish in Co. Westmeath as well as being a Townland, and also a town/village in Killare Parish.

Owen Higgins & James Higgins lived in Parish Ballymore

also in the 1854 Griffith Valuation of Westmeath are 42
surname Higgins in various Parish's and townlands, including a Ann Higgins, Parish Clonarney, Townland of
Mulliganstown, this Ann was a tenant of James Bray #14a
a house and garden 0 acres.0 roods. 24 perches.

There were no Downings in 1854 in the Co. of Westmeath although they appears in other Counties.

Griffith's Valuations can be found free:
www.askaboutireland.ie and
www.failteromhat.com

Annette Code

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 2:43PM GMT
Surnames: Higgins, Downing
Thank you, Annette. The information I have, which was on a monument set up by her sister, Ellen Downing, was taken down by someone else at the cemetery. If I am correct, I believe Ellen was my great great grandmother on my father's side. She was married to Morris Downing. Trying to find all my family in Ireland is like a needle in a haystack, especially if there is no clue as to what part of Ireland they all came from. I hope I am right about Ellen and I will keep on trying to find out more information about her and Ann based on the information you sent to me.

Thank you again,

Judy Downing

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 5:36PM GMT
Year of birth always helps. Also parents names which you should be able to get from their US records. With that you can request civil birth records if born after 1864 or church baptismal records for birth location in Westmeath. Then you'll be able to verify place of birth in Westmeath.

There were millions of people who left Ireland over the decades so impossible from this side (Ireland) to say who left, where they went or where they were born here without more documentation from their place of emigration. Also impossible to know here who married whom after they emigrated.

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 5:42PM GMT
Well, if you don't know where in Ireland your ancestors were born you need to do much more indepth research in the US to get their parents names, dates of birth, birthplaces eg. town/townland, civil parish and county. The names of all towns and townlands in Ireland are on the Sean Ruad website http://www.seanruad.com

Here's an excellent link to researching your ancestors in the US. It's by someone whose ancestors were found to be from Kerry but this works for anywhere they were from in Ireland. If you do your research properly it won't be like looking for a needle in a haystack here because you'll have found their birth locations, parents names, dates of birth, etc that you need before you can look for records about them that might survive in Ireland

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlker/find.html

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 7:11PM GMT
I don't think you are looking for a needle in a haystack with the names from the memorial being accurate and can't be invented. You are lucky as most gravestones just list Ireland and occasionally a county. Shipping information can have a county but it is rare and more likely found in later records, you could try the Ellis Is.website, it is free. They may have gone home for a visit. Most US, UK, & CA census only give Ireland or Ireland Free State.

Most people would poopa the next suggestion but it does work and I have emails from people who tried and were successful.
The current telephone directory for Ireland/Westmeath shows
23 Higgins in Westmeath. 3 from Mullingar.

I would write to all three with all the information you have
as see if they can help you. If you can't find the website by googling, contact me at codeannette@yahoo.ca as I cannot put it on the message board as it is considered a commercial
website by rootsweb policy.

Annette

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 9:24AM GMT
Believing Ellen Downing is your great great grandmother is very different than having proof she is. There are many US records which you can research to find out your definite connection to her or someone else. Having no dates is also a problem. The US census records are all online and fully accessible from 1790 to 1930 and is a good place to start. Spending time looking for unproven connections in Ireland isn't productive on either side. Begin your research with yourself and work backwards in your genealogy which is the accepted and proven method of doing genealogical research. The Latter Day Saints have all the forms online. It is also the way to get your correct ancestral connections and be sure to get all original documentation for your search. That way you're not wasting time searching for people who may have no connection whatsoever to you in a place in Ireland where your ancestors didn't originate.

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 1:30PM GMT
Thank you very much for all your information. I will try to let everyone know how I make out. I'm going to look things up as soon as I can.

Judy

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 2:05PM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2011 3:56PM GMT
Can you let me know approximately what years Ann & Ellen were born.
A not for profit History Foundation holds the records for Westmeath, there are 10 Ellen Higgins born in Westmeath, however, the earliest record is 1835, so if your Ellen was born before that it is unlikely a birth record exists on this website. 31 Ann Higgins from 1774. I will check the Parish to see the dates for their records. There is no Ballymore Parish records listed as such in the above Foundation records.

The Family History Center (LDS) London say the Parochial Registers for Ballymore RC exist for baptisms from 1824-1880 and marriages from 1839-1880. Handwritten. Microfilm No. 0926163 and you could try your local History Center and see if they can order the microfilm for viewing. There may be a cost to ordering in microfilm. www.familysearch.org (see previous site)for the nearest location to you.

Annette

Annette

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 4:46PM GMT
I don't know when Ellen was born. Her husband, Morris Downing, is listed in the 1880 Connecticut census as being a widower. The information I have on Ann is that she was 54 years old when she died in 1882. I'm hoping I have the right last name of Higgins based on this information. We have a local LDS Center here and I have used it. I haven't used it in a long time, but I think I'm going to use again.

Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions