Search for content in message boards

Caleb Huff

Caleb Huff

Posted: 6 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 May 2005 11:34AM GMT
Surnames: HUFF
I am seeking information concerning the line of a Caleb Huff born 1822 in Harlarn County Ky or in Virginia? He married a Mary Jane Wooten 2/29/1820 on 1/18/1842. I believe their children were Mary Ann, Dr. John Preston, Charles, Claiborn J., and William Lee. I am trying to find out who Caleb's siblings and parents were? Any Help would be much appreciated!

Caleb Huff

Posted: 25 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:34AM GMT
Would your Caleb have a connection to CLABY HUFF? I have the death certificate for Malissa James Forrest from Carter Co. The informant on the certificate was "CLABY HUFF" whose address was DeEverett, Ky.

I am curious about the reason "Claby" would be able to inform the undertaker of the data for Malissa.

Malissa was the daughter of Basil James and Narcissus Duncan, and wife of Robert H. Forrest.

Thanks for any help. Will you please e-mail me directly at: wahlhood@aol.com

Pat in OR

Re: Caleb Huff

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 2:50AM GMT
He was the son-in-law of Mary Jane James Forrest. He was married to Ethel F. Forrest daughter of Robert and Mary Jane James Forrest.

Posted: 13 Feb 2007 9:44PM GMT
I am looking for the same info. The only additional data I have is that his mother & father were Charles & Polly huff which was noted on Caleb's death record. also according to other info I have - Charles & Polly moved to somewhere in missouri - one of Caleb's boys, John Preston, was born in Missouri.
For your info my email address is bob.keaton@earthlink.net

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 12:07AM GMT
I am a descendent of Caleb & Mary Ann Huff. I am also trying to find the parents of Caleb. The only info I have is that Caleb was born in Harlan Co. Ky, his father & mother were listed as Charlie & Polly on Caleb's death listing in Carter Co. in 1856/57, & that Charlie & Polly moved to Missouri sometime before 1850. Caleb & Mary's son John Preston was born in Missouri in 1847. I believe that Charlie was born in Va. I would appreciate any info on Charlie &/or Polly.

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 1:45AM GMT
Would you send me a copy of the death certificate?

Claby Huff, the name is spelled several ways , married
Ethel Forrest,the daughter of Robert H. Forrest and
Malissa James Forrest, from Carter, Co. Ky

Mary

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 6:26PM GMT

Huff, John Preston
Sherry J. Lowe (View posts) Posted: 19 Mar 2000 7:00AM
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Huff, Wooten, York, Simmons, Lemmons, Garvin
History of Kentucky, the Blue Grass State
Volume III
Illustrated
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago - Louisville

John Preston Huff, M. D.

Dr. John Preston Huff, one of the pioneer physicians of Northeastern Kentucky, has the knowledge and skill resulting from comprehensive collegiate training and more than a half century of practical experience. He is one of the venerable citizens of Olive Hill, a veteran of the Civil war, and has been state senator. He was born June 27, 1847, in Glasgow, Missouri, and his parents, Caleb and Jane
(Wooten) Huff, were natives of Kentucky. Both were representatives of old families of the Blue Grass state and their forbears were agriculturists. The father was born in Harlan county and followed the occupation of farming, while he also taught school in Carter county in the early days. The mother was a native of Carter county and was temporarily residing in Missouri when the subject of this sketch was born.

Dr. Huff acquired his rudimentary education in the country schools of Carter county and studied medicine under Dr. William R. York, a well known physician of that district. He entered upon the work of his profession in 1872 in Elliottville, Rowan county, and in 1874 located at Plummers Landing, in Fleming county, where he resided for forty-four years, building up an extensive practice. After moving to that place he matriculated in the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati and was graduated with the class of 1884. Dr. Huff opened an office in Olive Hill in 1918 but is now living practically retired, having reached the ripe age of seventy-nine years. Conscientious, efficient and well poised, he inspired confidence in his patients and kept
thoroughly abreast of his profession, employing the most modern and effective remedial agents. In the days when this region was largely unsettled he endured many hardships in the exercise of his beneficent calling but never failed to respond to the call of duty, doing all in his power to alleviate suffering and check the progress of disease.

Dr. Huff was married August 28, 1866, to Miss Ruth E. Simmons, who was a native of Carter county and who died April 8, 1902. She was the mother of ten children, but Mary Jane, Dora Ann and Rosie Eunice are deceased. Those who
survive are: Nevada Ellen, Caleb, Lillie Estelle, Amanda Louise, William Lee, Robert Bailey and Alice Blanche. On November 29, 1902, Dr. Huff wedded Miss Edna Lemmons, who was born in Fleming county and who passed away October 14, 1918. They were the parents of four children, but Enid is deceased. The others are: John Preston, Jr., Doris Garr and Ronald Leon. The Doctor's third union was with Miss Lillie M. Garvin, to whom he was married August 12, 1920, in Carter county.

Dr. Huff enlisted July 20, 1863, in the Fortieth Kentucky Mounted Infantry and remained in the service until January 1, 1865, when he was mustered out as a private. He is a stanch republican and in 1887 was chosen to represent the thirty-fifth district in the state senate.

He was a member of that law-making body until 1893 and in 1899 was returned to the office, serving for two years. He exerted his influence to secure the passage of legislation of benefit to the commonwealth and discharged his duties in a manner that reflected credit upon himself and his constituents. He is connected with the Junior Order of United American Mechanics and the Masonic fraternity.
He belongs to Olive Hill Lodge, No. 629, F. & A. M.; Fleming Chapter, R. A. M.; and John C. Breckinridge Commandery, No. 20, K. T., of Flemingsburg. His life has been long, upright and useful, and a genial, frank and unselfish nature has won for him the high and enduring regard of all with whom he has been associated
per page

Find a board about a specific topic