Search for content in message boards

RE INFORMATION NEEDED ABOUT ANCESTORS

RE INFORMATION NEEDED ABOUT ANCESTORS

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 12:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jan 2005 12:03PM GMT
Surnames: enersen/enerson
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help us. We are looking for information about my fiance's ancestors. His great grandfather came to south africa from Norway. His surname here in south africa was enersen/enerson. This might have been changed. We believe he was born in the Oslo region. He married a south african girl. He came to south africa in the late 1800's. Where could we start searching for information????

Re: Information Needed About Ancestors

PR (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2004 11:31PM GMT
Start with everything you know about his name(s), given name, last name and any earlier names and/or spellings. Then add his birthyear and the year (or a good estimate) that he emigrated from Norway. If the names and vital dates of any parents or siblings are known - include those.
The names of his children might give clues - but no personal information is needed about living decendants.

A concise query here with the above information might result in one of the regulars here being able to find some strong clues in the online Norwegian databases for censuses, emigration, etc.

In the meantime you can study some good advice at the following websites -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 5:44PM GMT
Norwegians emigrating to Africa are found in the emigration lists here:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&a...

On the other hand there were also sailors "jumping ship" ...

Posted: 8 Apr 2005 5:53PM GMT
Hi there,
Thanks for the reply - what we have is the following:

His daughter's name was Etla Mary Enerson, and she was married to John Reginald Whitehead. She was born between 1905 and 1914, probably 1907. So we speculate that he must have come from Norway in the late 1800's as he was 16 when he came to South Africa. Other spellings the family thinks might have been: Ennerson, Enersson, Innersan, Innersen - but he might not even have changed his name. We are quite lost as where to look - as the family does not know much either.

Regards

PR (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2005 7:00PM GMT
You've listed a fairly long list of possible last name spellings - but never mentioned the man's first name and you still haven't mentioned when he was born.

There is a format that might help you organize the information that various members of your family DO have -
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm

Posted: 8 Apr 2005 7:03PM GMT
Hi there,

We are still searching for his first name. As soon as I have it, I'll post it on here.

Thanks a mil

Regards
Ilse

Re: RE INFORMATION NEEDED ABOUT ANCESTORS

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 4:01PM GMT
Surnames: Enerson / Hill
I beleive we are tracing the same family tree. My Great Grand Father was a Mr Charles August Enerson from Norway who married Catherine Mary Hill in the UK before coming to South Africa. I know he owned a farm in East London on the East Coast in South Africa called "Horse Shoe Valley Farm". My GP was George Charles Enerson (born 1896) who had two sisters, Etla and Sophia. I am still trying to trace him back to Norway.

Neville

Re: Charles August Enerson

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 10:01PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2013 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: Enerson, Einarsen, Einertsen, Enertsen
If he was born in Norway, he could have been baptized Karl August or Carl August. His "surname" may have been identical to his father's, OR he could have been the son of Ener/Einar/Einer, etc. An approximate (or exact) year of birth would be very helpful!

Was George his first-born child?

More details are needed in order for others to help you find you ancestor from Norway.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic