Search for content in message boards

Dodds Family Northumberland

Dodds Family Northumberland

Posted: 22 Feb 2003 12:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Mar 2003 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: DODDS
Hi
I am researching the Dodds family from Alnwick, Northumberland. I have managed to get back to the early 1800's but with many gaps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kindest Regards
Wendy
wendy@barlow92.fsnet.co.uk

Re: Dodds Family Northumberland

Posted: 12 Jul 2004 6:43AM GMT
I have a Mary Dodds Keiss, born I think 10th May 1893. She married James Dryburgh August 20th 1913 in Roxburgh. He was born possibly 23-Jan-1887and was in the Northern Division Army Veterinary Corps.Their children were Jean, Arthur and Shena. Shena was my mother in law born 18-Dec-1915 and died 26-Apr-2001. I remember visiting Mary in 1980, as far as I remember she was living just outside Coldstream at the time, she lived until she was about 96 years old. Possibly one of 12 children. Shena married a George Swanston and they lived in Wooler which isn't far from Alnwick.Any information on this line would be appreciated.

Re: Dodds Family Northumberland

Posted: 9 Feb 2005 3:19AM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2005 10:43PM GMT
Surnames: DODDS
Dodds

Family History
1700 - 2005

Compiled by Kevin Dodds

Table of Contents

Introduction 4
The meaning of the Dodds name. 4
Chapter One - Dodds in England 1700 — 1920 14
John Dodds – Creation of the Dodds dynasty across three continents 16
Descendents of John Dodds and Elizabeth Strother (1st wife) 16
Chapter Two - John Dodds’ in Senegal, West Africa 18
Descendents of John Dodds and Sophie Feuilletaine (2nd wife) 18
Descendendents of Henri-Antoine and Marie-Charlotte (nee Billaud) DODDS 18
Descendents of Alfred Armadee and Adele-Marie-Madeleine (nee Linckenheyl-Alsace) DODDS 19
Descendents of Edouard-Charles-Alfred and Marie (nee Agaisse) DODDS 20
Chapter Three – John Dodds in England and coming to Australia 23
Descendants of John Dodds & Mary Francis Hindmarsh (3rd wife) 23
Descendents of William Darling & Agnes (nee Hughes) DODDS 24
Descendents of Henry & Harriet Anne (nee Binning) DODDS 26
Descendents of Leonard & Winifred Muriel DODDS 27
Descendants of John Hindmarsh and Ellen Marie (nee Somerset) DODDS 31
Chapter Four – Dodds in Australia 36
Descendants of John DODDS and Mary Hughes (4th wife) 36
Descendants of John and Mary Frances DODDS 36
Descendants of Sydney and Anne Euphemia (nee DAWES) DODDS 37
Descendents of Herbert Sydney & Elizabeth M (nee Bohan) DODDS 38
Descendents of Leonard Charles & Anne (nee Howe) DODDS 38
Descendants of Wilfred Harold & Clarice Melba (nee Carey) Dodds 40
Descendants of Wilfred Edward Dodds and his first wife Lorna 40
Descendants of John Robert Dodds and Cheryl 40
Descendants of David Edward Dodds and Helen Patricia 41
Descendants of Wilfred Edward Dodds & Valarie Carmel (nee Evans) Dodds 41
Descendants of Kevin Wilfred Dodds & Kathryn Anne Mary (nee Harris) Dodds 41
Descendants of Barbara Anne Dodds and Grant Mervyn Gilbert Charles EDWARDS: 41
Descendants of Ian Stuart DODDS and Lisa McConnell: 42
Descendants of Valma May Dodds & Ray Hopley 42
Descendants of Errol Lindsay & Nancy born 1943 (nee Brown) Dodds 43
Descendants of Paul Leslie Dodds & Narelle Margaret (nee Toohey) 43
Descendants of Michelle Le-Anne Dodds & Paul Leslie Toohey 43
Descendents of John Sydney Dodds 43
Descendents of Eric Harold Dodds 43
Chapter Five – Carey Family 47
Descendants of the EVANS family: 47
James Thomas Carey of Kilkenny, North Ireland 47
Descendents of Thomas Edward and Ethel Pearl CAREY 47
Chapter Six – Evans Family 50
Descendants of the EVANS family: 50
Chapter Seven - Rosengren Family 53
Descendants of the ROSENGREN family 53
Chapter Eight - Harris Family 56
Descendants of the HARRIS family 56
Annexure 1 – Northumberland & Alnwick (home of the Dodds’) 58
Annexure 2 – Alnwick Castle 65
Annexure 3 – The Dodds’ as Border Reivers 66
Annexure 4 - African Dodds connection 69
Annexure 5 – Bishop Prosper Dodds, Senegal, Africa 78
Annexure 6 – General Alfred Amadee Dodds son of John Dodds 79
Annexure 6 - Lieutenant-General Ralph Darling 81
Annexure 7 – Land purchase by John Hindmarsh Dodds 87
Annexure 9 – A poem and artwork by Leonard Charles Dodds 90
Annexure 10 - A poem and artwork by Marie Dodds 92
Annexure 11 – Poem– “My Home–Glen-Anne” by Errol J. Smith 94
Annexure 12 – The History of Bulga and Milbrodale 95
Annexure 13 – Private Arthur Dodds–Killed in Action - WWI at France, 1918 100
Annexure 14 – Leonard & Anne Dodds, circa 1903 at ‘Glen Anne’, Milbrodale 103
Annexure 15 – PIX Newspaper Article 104
Annexure 16–PIX Newspaper Article Vol 13, Mp.14 1st April 1944 106
Annexure 17–Wedding of Maurice Evans to Edna Simmons in 1938 at Crookwell. 109
Annexure 18 – Alfred & Minnie (nee Dodds) Lee. 110
Annexure 19 – Major General Thomas DODDS 112

Introduction

The meaning of the Dodds name.

My understanding from a reference book called Origins of Names follows:

In Britain, surnames, as second names, were adopted in the eleventh through thirteenth centuries. Names generally were derived from the father’s Christian names (e.g. Richardson), from occupations (e.g. Baker), from characteristics (e.g. White) or from place names (e.g. Eckford.) Selected place names may also have derived from older Christian names (e.g. Dodds from Doddinghurst, from the Saxon Dodd family (-ing) forest (-hurst).)

DODDS The names DUDDA-DUDD-DODD-DOD-DODDS-DOWDE-DEEDE etc. are thought to be of Anglo-Saxon origin, and all considered the same, deriving from the personal name DODD or DODDA, according to the Index of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. It has been reported that DUDD, the Christian name, meant summit or hill in Saxon. It also was used to refer to a short fat person, and could have been adopted as a name. DODD may also have come from the ancient Friesic (Frisian) language where it meant "a blockhead", a nick-name which would have stuck to a person.

The Frisians/Saxons were the Germanic tribes that the Romans brought in to protect their northern borders. Hence many Dodds/DOD etc names are in the Scotland/Eng borders region.
The present town of DODDINGHURST, (approximately 20 miles NE of London) was probably one of the Frisian/Saxon settlements. As was the custom at the time, the town name derived from the Family name DOD or DODD, plus 'ING' indicating family or the possessive case, plus HURST which is Saxon for Forest or woods. Hence Dodds Family Forest. Angle settlements probably resulted in the towns of DUDDO and DODDINGTON (DODD family town) in Northumberland near the Tweed river near the Scottish border. Inland migration no doubt led to the later settlements of DODDANFORD, now DODFORD, Northampton, and DODDESTHORP, now DOGSTHORP, Northampton, about 100 miles NW of London.

The Dodds’ where did we come from what is our heritage.

The Dodds Family Crest
Dodds - semper paratus: Always prepared

The Dodds Heraldic Crest Explanation

Letter by Robert Mearns
This is file Copy No. 2 of my original compilation typewritten in English. It was done to send to Monsignor Prosper Dodds, Bishop of St Louis in the Republic of Senegal, Western Africa, who is a descendant of my own great-grandfather, John Dodds, by his Senegal marriage, of which the descendants were brought up as French citizens, speaking French.
Monsignor Prosper Dodds was born at St. Louis, Senegal, in February 1915, (died 12th January 1973 – see Annexure for his life in the Catholic Church) when it was a French colony. As an independent Republic, it maintains close links with France. I obtained a translation of this into French, which ran into 50 hand written quarto pages, and then had the translation typed by French—speaking typists on machines with French type and keyboards, and airmailed it to Senegal in three separate lots as I received it from the typists.
· The first on — 4.6.1970
· The second on — 8.6.1970
· The third (final) on 9.7.1970
First I must mention that the information in your letter to me of 13th November 1968, concerning the births in Senegal of Henre and Mary, makes it certain that John Dodds went to Senegal very soon after the death of his first English wife, which occurred on 28th February 1814. I had assumed that he had gone to Senegal after the death of his second English wife, and he may have returned to Africa after her death. His marriage to his third English wife was on 4th April 1850, and this was his last marriage. Thank you for your information, which makes clear some matters I could not understand previously.
I am happy that I have after so long a time completed the composition of the history of the Dodds family in England and Australia to the extent permitted by my resources. This project has been interrupted throughout its whole course by events beyond my control, which I regret, and for which I offer my apology to you. In compiling it, I have aimed to avoid the inclusion of too much small detail and at the same time, give a story, which will show a complete picture.
It commences with Thomas Dodds of Berwick-on-Tweed; in 1700 I have no earlier history of the family. I am sure that some earlier records exist, but difficulties discovering them are beyond my present resources. If discovered, they may not add very much of interest to the story.
As well as giving the names and dates of the various births, marriages and deaths, where known, I have included here and there some information to add an element of interest to what could otherwise be a list of names and dates. I hope that you will find it interesting. The names and dates given in the history of John Dodds and his descendants, and of his three English marriages, are taken from a transcription of his own entries in his Bible.
In your letter to me dated 13th November 1968, you said that you would especially like to know whether John Dodds had any brothers scattered in various parts of the world. The answer to this is that none of his brothers left England. However, three of his English born sons came to Australia, and spent the remainder of their lives there. A fourth son visited it briefly. You will see these events referred to in more detail under the heading of ‘ Dodds 1790-1874, and his Descendants’.
Now, I would like to tell you of some events antedating my first letter to you, and some that have followed it. When I first attempted to trace the history of John Dodds of Senegal, all I knew was that he had been there and that he had a son (so I thought) who had been an Officer (General) of the French Army. This was so vague, that I decided to attempt to extend my knowledge of the family. I did not know whether any other descendants remained in Senegal. Therefore, I wrote to the Mayor of St Louis, requesting that he would inform me as to whether or not the Registrations of Births, Marriages and Deaths held by his Department contained any records of the Dodds family and I explained my reasons for asking.
I was surprised and pleased to receive a reply from M’lle Sophie BEZIAT, to whom the Mayor’s Office had handed my letter, evidently knowing of her connection with the Dodds family. I did not know of her at all until her letter reached me M’lle Sophie told me that she worked in the office of the French Consulate. She was interested to know that John Dodds had descendants in Australia. She found the records of the marriages of Alfred Amedee Dodds to Adele Marie Madelaine Linkenheys called Alsace, and of Henri Dodds to Marie Charlotte Billaud, and posted them to me, with two photographs of her late brother, Jean, and his two children and herself. She said that she would welcome a letter and even a photograph from me. I replied, thanking her, and giving her an account of the Dodds family in Australia, on similar lines to that which I am now sending to you, and I also sent some photographs. I heard nothing more from her until late in November 1965, when I received a post card from her, posted in Libourne, saying that she was on her way to France on what I understood to be a holiday. I acknowledged this to her St. Louis address, as I knew no other. However, I have not heard from her again and I do not know where she is.

While all this was going on, I wrote to the French Army Department in Paris, and obtained from them a very complete account of General Dodds’ Army service, which is very interesting indeed. This record mentions the date of his retirement to Chateau-de-Nucourt, and the date of his death. It does not mention any descendants, nor place or date of his wife’s death. At this point of progress, I thought of a photograph of General Dodds and of Chateau-de-Nucourt. But how to obtain them? It was obvious that an approach to official channels would be useless. Then I thought of looking at a map. I did so, and saw that Chateau-de-Nucourt was close to a town – Magny-en-Vexin. I guessed that this town would have in it, a professional photographer, and that as the General would have been a prominent figure in the locality, the town photographer would, if any existed, be able to supply the photographs I wanted. The next step was to ascertain whether there was a photographer in the town. I then called at the French Consular Agency in Brisbane, and there in a French Trade Directory, found the name of a photographer in Magny-en-Vexin. I wrote to him, and after a long delay from which I formed the opinion that he had ignored my letter, I received from him several very nice photographs of the Chateau, and one of General Dodds himself, in which he appears to be about 40 years of age, and a photograph of his grave in the church yard of Magny-en-Vexin. There was also a covering letter in which he told me that the photograph was a copy of an original made available to him to copy for me by Madame Fortas, who, he told me, is a member of the Dodds family circle, but he did not tell me her address. You may be as surprised to know I was to receive the photographs without any payment. The account was enclosed with his letter. I may say that I was somewhat touched, that an unknown, a foreigner, at that, and I had been so generously treated without any reference or guarantee that he would ever be paid. I may say, also, that I thought his account to be most reasonable. I sent a letter of thanks to Madame Fortas, in care of the photographer, as I did not know her address. I have not heard any more.
At the present time, living in a country district adjacent to Melbourne, there is a lady who stands in the same relationship to John Dodds as I do. She is Mrs Arline Miles, the wife of Claude Miles. She is a granddaughter of the eldest son of John Dodds’ second English marriage. I am a grandson of the youngest son of this marriage. Recently, when visiting Melbourne, I visited Mr and Mrs Miles at their home where they told me of an interesting incident, while touring Europe during 1968. They knew of my interest in family history and at the time when I received the Army record of General Dodds, I had told them of it and the place of his retirement.
When they were in Paris, they decided to go and look at Nucourt. Some members of the family were there. Neither Mrs Miles or I speak French and at first, there was some difficulty in explaining who they were and the reason for their visit, until another member took over the conversation. Mr and Mrs Miles did not know who lived at the Chateau and consequently had not given any notice of their intended visit. I do not think they know now! I certainly do not. At all events, the member who understood them was Mr. Pierre Laniray, of 22 rue de la Reint-Blance, 75 - Paris - XIII. Mr. and Mrs. Miles told him of me and my interest in family history, and he then gave then his address, as above, and asked them to tell me that he would be please if I would write to him. He writes English, and I will write as he wishes. The news of the visit of Mr. and Mrs. Miles to the Chateau had been a long time in reaching me. On a Christmas card I received from Mrs. Miles in December 1969, she said that she had a lot to tell me, but she is not a frequent correspondent, and in addition, they have moved their home from a Melbourne suburb to their present location, which meant that she had leisure for writing, so the news waited until they could speak it. Mrs. Miles was born in Brisbane, and has an unmarried sister living in Brisbane, where she too, was born. I often see her. You will see their place in the family tree amongst the descendants of William Darling Dodds, where you also will see the names of two brothers of these two ladies, who died when they were young men. Both parents of this family are deceased. During the abovementioned visit to Chateau-de-Nucourt, the Priest of a neighbouring Parish joined the gathering. I do not know whether or not he is a relative. He told them that the Church at Magny-en-Vexin had been damaged during the war and repairs had hot yet been completed, and it has no resident Priest. He is acting Curie of both parishes. Speaking from my memory of the conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Miles, I think they told me that this Priest had taken them in his car to see the Church at which he is stationed.
I am apprehensive that in spite of my expressed intention of avoiding the inclusion of too much detail, I may have done what I said I would avoid. If so, and you find it tedious, please forgive me. With my best wishes for your work, and for your good health, cheer kinsman.

Robert Hindemarch Mearns
36 Fanny Street,
Annerley, Queensland

Notes by Kevin Dodds
The following family history has been passed down to me by my grandfather – Wilfred Harold Dodds – the original was gathered together by Robert Mearns the grandson of William Darling Dodds (2nd wife descendents of John Dodds). I, on the other hand, am the great, great grandson of Sydney Dodds (3rd wife descendant of John Dodds who sailed to Australia aboard the ‘Bernicia’). I have updated the family tree as much as possible and consider it a work in progress as it has grown from 16 pages to 58 pages.

So who came to Australia from England? Were we convicts? No they were not convicts despite occasional dispersions to the contrary. William Darling Dodds was the first and he came in 1848. His father, John Dodds, my great great great grandfather came to Australia with his third wife Mary Hughes in 1850 when they sailed from London in the barque ‘Bernicia’ for Sydney with Mrs Martha Hughes, mother of the bride, and two younger sisters of the bride, Miss Agnes Hughes and a Miss C Hughes. John and Mary and stayed in Sydney until 1853 when they then moved to Geelong where John’s son, William Darling Dodds had taken up land in that vicinity. In 1853, John’s sons Henry Dodds and his brother John Hindmarsh Dodds left England (Liverpool), in the sailing ship ‘Frances’ arriving at Sydney.

In 1853, John Dodds settled his family into a house in Corrio Street, Geelong. Sydney Dodds was born in Geelong in 1853. Sydney Dodds moved to Singleton NSW were his son, Leonard Charles Dodds married Anne Howe and they purchased some land near Milbrodale/Bulga and called the farm ‘Glen – Anne’ from Len and Anne. Glen Anne is considered the ancestral property of the Dodds family and when it cam time to pass it on to his sons – none of them took up the offer as the sons had enlisted in the Army and took part in World War II. Leonard Charles ended up giving the farm to his daughter Sylvie Dodds who married Eric Smith and their children Errol and Ken Smith and their families still run the farm who had been working the farm for many years.

Eventually John Dodds and William Darling Dodds and their families all came back to Sydney where Leonard (named after St. Leonard’s as North Sydney was called at the time) was born on 15 March 1861. The home became known as Crows Nest Cottage and is near the present Crows Nest Junction. John and Mary had another son at St Leonard’s called Arthur Dodds – full name Leonard Arthur Dodds was one of three sons of Leonard Dodds. Leonard Arthur Dodds died on 8th May 1828; he was the youngest son of John Dodds as Sydney Dodds was the eldest.

The ‘DODDS’ lineage is as follows:
Thomas Dodds – is my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather, born Alnwick, UK
John Dodds – is my great, great, great, great, great grandfather, born Alnwick, UK
William Dodds – is my great, great, great, great grandfather, born Alnwick, UK
John Dodds – is my great, great, great grandfather – born Alnwick, UK emigrated to Australia
Sydney Dodds – is my great, great grandfather, born in Geelong, Victoria
Leonard Charles Dodds – is my great grandfather, born in Singleton, NSW
Wilfred Harold Dodds – is my grandfather, born in Singleton, NSW
Wilfred Edward Dodds – is my father, born in Singleton, NSW
Kevin Wilfred Dodds – born in Waratah, NSW – 5th Generation Australian

Kevin Dodds
19 Strathearn Road
Leura NSW 2780

Chapter One
¨
Dodds in England

Chapter One - Dodds in England 1700 — 1920

Thomas DODDS is the name of the first member of the family of whom I have any record. He was a Revenue Officer at Berwick-on-Tweed, 1700. I have no other information about him.
John DODDS son of Thomas, was born 13th September 1739. He was an Officer of Customs at Bamburgh, from which he appears to have followed in his father’s footsteps. His wife was Ann HUNTER, born 5th September l729.
William DODDS son of John and Ann, was born at Alnwick on 6th January 1764, and he died there on 25th April 1812, aged 48 He was twice married, of which I will write more later. He served an apprenticeship to the Trade of Draper and Mercer at Berwick on Tweed, with a fellow apprentice, named Samuel DARLING, whose sister he afterwards married He worked in London after his apprenticeship period, where he returned to Alnwick, he founded the family business. This was of the type in which he had been trained. This business was operated as a family venture by successive descendants, until, in 19 it was formed into a Private Limited Company, with the last of the family proprietors remaining as a Director. This was Miss Mary Elizabeth Dodds, who died in October 1913, aged 73. A letter dated 1959, written to me by a friend of the family, states that ‘the business was finally closed down recently. The date is not stated assuming that it closed in 1950, its life would have been about 160 years.
William’s first wife was Ann DARLING, whom he married at Alnwick on 2nd October 1788, and who died on 19th June 1797, aged 39. She was a daughter of Henry DARLING of Embleton and her brother Lieutenant-General Ralph Darling later became Governor of New South Wales between 19th December 1825 and 21st October 1831. They had four children: 1. John Dodds born at Alnwick, 24th June 1790, later of Senegal and Australia; 2. Ann Dodds born at Alnwick 9th April 1792; 3. Henry born 1794 and died 1798; 4. Elizabeth born l796 died 1810 aged 14. Incidentally, it was Ann, who, after she became the wife of Thomas SKELLY, mothered the seven children of her brother John when his 2nd English wife, Mary Frances, nee HINDMARSH died at Alnwick on 8th January 1838, leaving her youngest child who was eleven months old. This child, named John HINDMARSH, became the father of my mother in 1868, and my grandfather in 1891.
William’s second wife was Ester SCOTT, whom he married on 18th December 1798. She died at Hope House, Alnwick, on 27th May 1829, aged 75. She was the daughter of Thomas SCOTT of Eglingham. They had two sons, Thomas and Henry. Thomas Scott, the elder son, was born about 1800. He became a Licentiate of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, and of Apothecary’s Hill, London. On 30th November 1822, he announced the commencement of a professional practice at Alnwick. He married Mary, daughter of Robert ANDERSON of Howick, Steward to Lord Grey. Thomas died by his own hand in 1842. Mary, his wife, born June 1802 died in 1866. The record of the children of this couple is obscure, but they appear to have had a son, Thomas, who died young, and two daughters who do not appear to have married. No record of dates. Henry Scott, the second son whose birth date I do not know, was a Draper, and went into the family business. He married Mary BARBER, daughter of John BARBER of Doddington, date unknown. The date of deaths of Henry and Mary are not known to me, but after the death of Henry, Mary conducted the business. They had a son, William Scott, and a daughter, Mary Elizabeth Scott. Mary, widow of Henry, was assisted in the conduct of the business by her sister, Miss Dorothy BARBER and by Mr George BARBER, until William came of age, when he was taken into partnership. William was interested also in farming and eventually, relinquished his drapery interests to devote his whole time to his farming interest. He farmed three or four properties at different times over the years, and was successful.
William Dodds, son of Henry Dodds and Mary nee BARBER, was born in 1838, and died in 1920 aged 82. He married Margaret BARBER. The date of this marriage is not on record, nor is the date of Margaret’s death, but she was apparently still living in 1928. William and Margaret had two daughters and a son — Mary, Anne and William Henry. The first and last named of these three went to live in New Zealand in 192l. The second named of the three, Miss Anne Dodds, remained in England. William, the father of these three children, who retired from the drapery business to take up farming, was in his younger days, interested in rifle shooting. He earned a reputation as a marksman, and for years, he with another man in his locality, represented Alnwick Rifle Corps, at the Bisley and Wimbledon Competitions, which were of national fame.
A small but interesting anecdote concerning the abovementioned William Dodds, who was born in 1838 and died in 1920 and also ‘our’ John Dodds, who was William’s uncle. I have seen a Photostat of a letter written by William in 8th January 1918, to someone in England, who had made an inquiry about John’s family and forebears. I quote
‘He, my uncle, came home when I would be four or five years of age, when I saw him for the first and last time. That would be 75 years ago’, that was in l843.
William Scott Dodds, abovementioned, had a sister Mary Elizabeth who was born in l840. She did not marry and died in October 1913, aged 73. On the death of her mother, Miss Dodds continued the business and was one of the Directors of the Limited Company, at the time of her death her obituary notice in the local newspaper mentions her as a lady, who will be much missed in Alnwick and the district where she was greatly esteemed. It also mentions her kindness of heart and thoughtfulness for others, and her sympathy for and support of every worthy institution.
This completes my account of the Dodds family in England from 1700 – 1920.
I will follow with an account of ‘our’ John Dodds three English marriages, and his life from the time of his first marriage in England until his death in Sydney in 1874.

John Dodds – Creation of the Dodds dynasty across three continents
John DODDS son of William and Ann, nee DARLING, the eldest of their children, was born at Alnwick on 24th June l790 His mother died when he was seven years old. His father married again on 18th December 1798, eighteen months after the death of his first wife, Ann. His second wife was Esther SCOTT, who outlived him by 27 years. John DODDS entered his father’s business; when he was two months under 22 years old, his father died, on 25th April 1812. John’s stepmother, Esther, widow of William and an administratrix of his estate, announced on 4th September 1813, that she had appointed her late husband’s son, John Dodds to receive the debts due to the estate. John, having taken over on his own account the shop occupied by his late father, solicited continuance of the patronage conferred upon him and desired all who may have claims upon the estate of his late father, to sent in their accounts so that they may be discharged. Shortly after this, William’s widow, Esther, announced that in partnership with William’s daughter, Ann, she was opening a business of woollen and linen drapery on other premises in Alnwick. Thirteen months later, Ann Married Thomas Skelly.
Descendents of John Dodds and Elizabeth Strother (1st wife)
John Dodds’ first marriage was at Alnwick on 7th January 1813, to Elizabeth, youngest daughter of Thomas STROTHER of Newton-on-the-Moor On 18th February 1814 a daughter was born and was named Anna Maria Theresa Elizabeth. On 28th February 1814, Elizabeth, wife of John Dodds died.
1. Anna Maria Theresa Elizabeth Dodds grew up and married William ELDER, in April 1834. She had a son James Thomas, who died at sea in the Indian Ocean at a date not recorded. Anna Maria Theresa Elizabeth, first child of John Dodds died on September 1838 aged 24.

Chapter Two
¨
Dodds in Africa

Chapter Two - John Dodds’ in Senegal, West Africa
Descendents of John Dodds and Sophie Feuilletaine (2nd wife)
It is evident that John Dodds went to Senegal after the death of his first wife, but I have no record of the date upon which he went, nor the date of his return to England. At all events, he returned, and married his second English wife. By all accounts John Dodds met a French Senegalese woman and they had three children, Henri Dodds, Anne-Emilie Dodds and Marie Dodds. Henri-Antoine Dodds married Marie-Charlotte Billaud had two children, Alfred who rose in ranks in the military to eventually becoming the Commander of the Allied Forces and one of the most decorated French soldiers in history and a daughter Anne Emilie Dodds – See Annexures.
John Dodds was an officer of the British army and aide-de-camp of the last English governor of the colony, Sir Thomas Brereton who governed from 1814-19th April 1816

; that gave the counter of Louis Saint to French officer Schmaltz under the Restoration, after the treaty of Paris, which returned possessions of Senegal from France.

Schmaltz was a survivor of the French frigate "the MEDUSE" which was wrecked on the Arguin shoals some 120 miles off the east African coast on 2nd July 1816 while on her way to Senegal. (149 survivors were abandoned on a raft with only a few casks of wine. Twelve days later the frigate ARGUS found only 15 wretches still alive).

Married in 1818 with St Louis of Senegal, at the 28 years age, with Sophie Feuilletaine (1794-1866), daughter of Feuilletaine F (1764-1834) and Marie Bamby-Amady. The couple had 3 children:
1. Henri-Antoine DODDS (1818-1882) at the 64 years of age.
2. Anne-Emilie DODDS (1820-1845) at the 25 years of age.
3. Marie DODDS (1822-1845 at the 23 years of age.

Descendendents of Henri-Antoine and Marie-Charlotte (nee Billaud) DODDS
1. Henri-Antoine Dodds
Last Director of the Post Office, before fusion with service of the Telegraph (1881)
Fore-mentioned "Ermery" deformation of Henry. Married, with Marie-Charlotte Billaud (1823-1890) at St. Louis of Senegal, daughter of Jean-Baptist Billaud of the Vault and Marie Stopover (1789-1867). The couple had 10 children:

Descendents of Alfred Armadee and Adele-Marie-Madeleine (nee Linckenheyl-Alsace) DODDS
Alfred Armadee Dodds. Born 6th February 1842 at St Louis of Senegal and died 17th July 1922 in Paris, at 80 years of age.
Alfred Dodds was the GENERAL OFFICER OF MARINES who conquered Dahomey by beating King Behanzin at the end of the 19th century. Alfred married Adele-Marie-Madeleine Linckenheyl-Alsace (1850-...), daughter of Louis-George Linckenheyl-Alsace and Michele-Aimee-Pulch Pesnel (1829-1900), without posterity on 7th November 1874 at St. Louis of Senegal, at the 32 years age.

Alfred and Adele-Marie-Madeleine had 11 children:

1. Calixte Dodds. Born 14th June 1843 at St Louis of Senegal and died in 1906 at St Louis of Senegal, at the 63 years of age.
2. Ernest Dodds. Born in 1844 at St Louis of Senegal and died in 1846 at St Louis of Senegal at 2 years of age.
3. Anne Dodds. Born in 1845 at St Louis of Senegal and died in 1847 at St Louis of Senegal at 2 years of age.
4. Marie Elizabeth Dodds (1848-1921).
5. Alphonse Dodds (1850-1902).
6. Helene Dodds. Born 1st March 1852 at St Louis of Senegal and had an affair with X Partarieu.
7. Edouard-Charles-Alfred Dodds (1856-1939).
8. Charlotte Sophie Dodds (1859 -...).
9. Virginia-Anne-Clemence Dodds (1862-1951).

2. Anne-Emilie Dodds Born in 1820 at St Louis of Senegal and died in 1845 at St Louis of Senegal, at the 25 years of age. Married Cesar-Alphonse Picardy Fleury in 1842 at St. Louis of Senegal, at the 22 years age and had 1 child, Charles-Theophile Fleury (1843-1928).

Marie Elizabeth Dodds, the fifth child of Henri Antoine and Marie-Charlotte DODDS
Marie Elizabeth Dodds Born in 1848 at St Louis of Senegal, had a Baptism on 22nd March 1848 at St Louis of Senegal and died in 1921 at St Louis of Senegal at 73 years of age. She married Jean Beziat in 1873 at St Louis of Senegal at the 25 years age. The couple had 9 children:
1. Alfred Beziat. Born in 1873 at St Louis of Senegal,
2. Justine-Marguerite Beziat. Born and died in 1875 at St Louis of Senegal
3. Joseph Beziat. Born in 1876 at St Louis of Senegal. Joseph was a Magistrate and married Marie Rouillet.
4. Henri Beziat. Born in 1878 at St Louis of Senegal and married Marie Baron.
5. Alexis Beziat (1879 -...).
6. Jean Charles Joseph Marie Beziat. Born in 1881 at St Louis of Senegal,
7. Augustin-Edouard Beziat. Born in 1884 at St Louis of Senegal,
8. Anne-Marie Beziat. Born in 1886 at St Louis of Senegal,
9. Marc Beziat (1891-1961).

Alphonse Dodds, the sixth child of Henri Antoine and Marie-Charlotte DODDS
Alphonse Dodds Born 18th November 1850 at St Louis of Senegal, had a Baptism on 9th March 1851 at St Louis of Senegal, at the age of 1 year and died in 1902 at St Louis of Senegal, at the 52 years of age. Alphonse married Marie-Lucie-Mathild Taeodora in 1881 in St. Louis of Senegal at the 31 years of age. Remarried Constancy of Erneville in 1889 at St Louis of Senegal at the 39 years age. The couple had 2 children
1. Marie-Elizabeth-Joséphine Dodds. Born in 1888 at St Louis of Senegal and died in 1890 at St Louis of Senegal at 2 years of age.
2. Anna-Magdeleine-Sophie Dodds (1890 -...).

Edouard-Charles-Alfred Dodds, the eigth child of Henri Antoine and Marie-Charlotte DODDS

Edouard-Charles-Alfred Dodds Born 22/5/1856 at St Louis of Senegal, had a Baptism on 19th June 1856 at St Louis of Senegal. Edouard had an extra-marital connection in 1887, at the 31 years age, with Rosalie Sankale (1865 -...) and the couple had 2 children:
1. Madeleine Sankale (1887 -...).
2. Louis-Albert Sankale (1889-1941).
Edouard then married Jeanne Agaisse in 1890 at St Louis of Senegal, at 34 years age. Jeanne Agaisse was the daughter of Prosper Agaisse and Berthe de Lanoise. The couple had 3 children:
1. Henri-"le-grand" Dodds. Born in 1891 with St Louis of Senegal and died in 1917 in St Louis of Senegal, at 26 years of age.
2. Alfred-Edouard-Marie Dodds. Called "FREDO", born 14th September 1895 in St Louis of Senegal and died 16th January 1939 at St Louis of Senegal at 83 years of age.
3. Anne-Marie Dodds (1899 -...).
Edouard’s 2nd marriage was to Marie Agaisse (1878-1956) on 8th August 1907 at St Louis of Senegal at 51 years age. Marie Agaisse was the daughter of Prosper Agaisse and Berthe de Lanoise and sister of the 1st marriage – Jeanne Agaisse. The couple had 4 children:
1. Charlotte Dodds (1908-1998).
2. Prosper Dodds. Born 17th February 1915 at St Louis of Senegal and died on 12th January 1973 at St Louis of Senegal at 58 years of age. Prosper Dodds was the Bishop of St. Louis of Senegal. Father of St Spirit congregation missionaries who were very present in West Africa at the time. Before being a bishop, he was an apostolate in Cazamance.
3. Virginia Dodds (1916 -...).
4. Henri-Rene Dodds (1917-1998).

Descendents of Edouard-Charles-Alfred and Marie (nee Agaisse) DODDS
Charlotte Sophie Dodds. Born in 1859 at St Louis of Senegal and died on 3rd April 1938 at St. Louis of Senegal at 48 years of age. Charlotte married Jean-Baptist Riquety de Mirabeau, wire of Helene Fan. The couple had 3 children:
1. Helene Riquety de Mirabeau. Born in 1886 at St. Louis of Senegal,
2. Charlotte Riquety de Mirabeau. Born in 1888 at St Louis of Senegal and died with St Louis of Senegal,
3. Mayotte Riquety de Mirabeau. Born 22nd April 1890 at St. Louis of Senegal, alliance with Alfred-Louis Beziat and an alliance with Alexis-Theophile Beziat.
Virginia-Anne-Clemence Dodds. Born 11th May 1862 at St. Louis of Senegal. Married Leonce-Marie-Joseph Begue de Germiny. in 1894 in St. Louis of Senegal at 32 years of age. Virginia Anne died on 27th May 1951 at Bordeaux at 89 years of age. The couple had 3 children:
1. Henri-Hyacinthe Begue de Germiny. Born in 1895 in St. Louis of Senegal,
2. Madeleine Begue de Germiny (1897 -...).
3. Louis-Raoul-Joseph Begue de Germiny (1899 -...). Alliance with Jean-Baptist Billaud of the Vault.

12 Charles-Theophile Fleury Born in 1843. Died in 1928, at the 85 years age
Married in 1876 in the USA, at the 33 years age, with Emma-Marie-Higinia de Lesseps.
The couple had 1 child:
24 I Anne-Amelie Fleury (1879-1945).

Chapter Three
¨
Dodds – England and coming to Australia

Chapter Three – John Dodds in England and coming to Australia

Descendants of John Dodds & Mary Francis Hindmarsh (3rd wife)
John Dodds’ second English marriage was at Alnwick on 5th May 1825, to Mary Frances HINDMARSH, the youngest daughter of William HINDMARSH, tanner of Alnwick, and of Jane, his first wife. Seven children were born of this marriage. Their names and the date of their births and deaths where known, are listed below. Any remarks or information I have about each, follow the list. The Children of this marriage — all born at Alnwick
BORN DIED
1 Jane Ann DODDS 28th December 1825 January 1902, Kendal, England
2. William Darling DODDS 15th March 1827 28th June 1875, Sydney, N.S.W.
3. Thomas Langley Pope DODDS 12th July 1828 Date unknown, England.
4. Ann Elizabeth DODDS 25th January 1831 Date unknown, Ireland
5. Henry DODDS 17th August 1833 8th July 1907, Yass, N.S.W
6. Mary Frances DODDS 14th June 1835 3rd January 1915, Reefton, N.Z.
7. John Hindmarsh DODDS 27th January 1837 6th July 1905, Woody Point, Qld
Remarks concerning the children named above.
1. Jane Ann DODDS married twice. Jane’s first marriage on 24th October l844, to Edward SINKINSON of Kendal, by whom she had: Jane Ann, Henry and Frances. Edward died 26th March 1856. Jane’s second marriage was to John HUDSON of Kendal in November 1863. Date of his death unknown, but he predeceased her. Jane Ann, herself died at Kendal in 1902, aged 68. I knew the daughter, Jane Ann, who never married. She was kind to me in 1913, at her beautiful, home at Windemere to which she went after her mother’s death. I was her guest there on two occasions in 1913, when I was improving my knowledge of marine engineering at Glasgow She died on 24th June 1924. I also met Alfred, son of Henry, abovementioned. He died 30th January 1965 — single.
2. William Darling DODDS and his four children (the name ‘Darling’ was the surname of John Dodds’ mother), was trained as a Draper. He was the first of the family to come to Australia. He arrived at Sydney in the first week of January 1848. In Sydney on 5th July 1851 at St. Andrew’s Church, he was married to Agnes HUGHES a young woman who had come to Australia in 1850. (She was the younger sister of Mary HUGHES, who became his 3rd English wife of John Dodds in London on 4th April 1850). At the time of William Darling’s marriage to Agnes, he was in business as a Draper in Sydney. Two months after his marriage, he arrived at his home from work one evening and was met by his wife. In a few minutes, she collapsed with heart trouble and died at 1.00 a.m. the next morning on 10th September 1851. I have seen her grave in Camperdown Cemetery, Newtown, Sydney. After the death of Agnes, William Darling Dodds went to Geelong, a town 40 miles from Melbourne. I have no record of the date of this move. But I do know that in a farming district close to Geelong, William Darling Dodds bought 76 acres of farming land, which I have seen. I assume that he worked this farm. In July 1857 he was elected a Member of the South Barwon Municipal Council, which had just been formed, and in whose area his land was situated. I do not know what type of farming he did. On 15th November 1856 at Geelong, he married his 2nd wife. She was Frances Firness WILTON, an English widow with a daughter by her first marriage.
Descendents of William Darling & Agnes (nee Hughes) DODDS
1. Mary DODDS, 1st child of William Darling and Frances Firness DODDS, was born at Geelong in either 1860 or 1861. She married in Sydney — date unknown — William J. DOYLE, a. chemist, and had two children — a daughter, Elsie, whom I knew but not until she was aged 80. She died, unmarried, on 12th September 1965, aged 86. The second child of Mary and William DOYLE was a son — Rowland Harcourt, whom also I knew, but much more closely than I knew his sister. He was unreliable, and unstable. He died some years before Elsie. Mary died on 21st February 1888 aged 27.
2. William Henry Darling DODDS, 2nd child of William Darling and Frances Firness Dodds, was born in 1863 in Sydney 2091/1863. Whether his father had returned and was again in business as a draper in 1863. I saw a good deal of him in the early 1900’s when he drifted in Brisbane and was around for over a year He had no fixed occupation or abode, his home being ‘under his hat’. He admitted to having a wife and children, but did not know where they were. A good raconteur and clever with tools, he had seen and done many things, but stayed at nothing. He eventually wore out his welcome with his uncle my grandfather John Hindmarsh Dodds, and his brother, Alfred Ernest Dodds, on whose bounty he was living and he drifted off again He had lost his father when he was 11 and probably ran wild, out of control, when he most needed his father’s influence.
3. Lillias DODDS, 3rd child and 2nd daughter of William Darling and Frances Firness Dodds, was born at Sydney in 1865 4310/1865 was a woman with a strong mind in a strong body. Thrifty and able, she was the exact opposite of her brother. She married Arthur VIVIAN, who was a bookkeeper in a city business. They had only one child a son — Alfred Ernest, who became a medical practitioner. He served about six years in the Medical Services of the Army, during the last war and was in practice at Perth, Western Australia. He died from heart trouble on April 28 1963 leaving a widow and two sons, one of whom is a medical practitioner. Arthur Vivian died in Sydney in 1943, and Lillian died in Perth in 1948. I knew them very well in my younger days when their son was growing up and was a med student. Later, our geographical separations became too great and I did not see them for years latterly, and I have never met the widow and sons of Alfred Ernest, who incidentally was given the same Christian names as his mother’s brother, who was the youngest of the four children of William Darling and Frances Firness Dodds. I will speak of him in my next description of the 4th child, which completes my description of the family of William Darling Dodds.
4. Alfred Ernest DODDS, 4th child and 2nd son of William Darling and Frances Firness Dodds, was born at Balmain, a suburb of Sydney on 31st March 1869 2643/1868. He qualified as a dentist in Sydney. In those days, qualification was by apprenticeship Alfred once told me that, when he was a youth, a practising dentist named de SAXE, whom he knew from Sydney, asked him if he would like to learn dentistry, and Alfred accepted the offer to take him in as a pupil. Alfred’s father died when he was six years old and his mother died three years after. Alfred, his brother and his two sisters were thus left with the elder sister, Mary, as head of the family, when she was 18 years old. In these circumstances, I do not know how they were able to live until they could fend for themselves. I know that Mary ‘mothered’ them as best she could, because I heard Alfred speaking affectionately of her. However, she could not possibly have kept them. Sydney was a bad place in which to be poor and without parents. They must have had some help but I did not know where it came from. Their father was a sick man for four years before he died and his estate is likely to have been a small one. It is to Mary’s credit that William Henry Darling was the only one who did not develop into a good citizen. If he had attracted a benefactor, as did his brother, Alfred Ernest, his life might have been a better one. Instead, with easy access to the waterfront and its adventurous life, and with no parental influence when he most needed it, he got on to the wrong track.
Alfred Ernest came to Brisbane about 1893, and practised his profession there for many years. I knew him very well over ten years of my life. During most of this time, my home was in my grandfather’s house. When my grandmother died in 1898, Alfred Ernest, came by mutual consent to live there so as to give some companionship to my grandfather then, from the time. When Alfred married, I saw less and less of him, until, as time went on and my work took me away, geographical distance resulted in my losing sight of him. In August 1908, Alfred married in Brisbane, Miss Jane McLeod. They had two sons and two daughters. Both sons, Leonard and Andrew died as young men. The elder daughter, Arline is the wife of Mr. Claude MILES She has no children of her own but he has a son and a daughter by a former marriage, with children of their own. They live near Melbourne. The younger daughter, Wanetta, is unmarried, and has a position in the office of a chartered accountant in Brisbane. I often see her. During the time these four children were growing up, I saw them only once or twice when they were very young. Then, as mentioned above, I lost sight of them for many years. Five or six years ago, I rediscovered Arline and Wanetta who were then the only members of the family still living. Alfred Ernest died in Sydney in December 1946, aged 78 years. His wife, Jane died in Brisbane in August 1958.
3. Thomas Langley Pope DODDS, 3rd child of John and Mary Frances Dodds
Thomas Langley Pope DODDS I have no knowledge of his career or occupation. I believe that he died in England, but do not know the date or place. On the Registration of the marriage of his sister, Mary Frances to William Henry Scott Hindmarsh at St. Thomas Church, North Sydney, 2nd April 1856, there appears the signature ‘tho I do not think there is any doubt that he was briefly in Australia, but did not stay, have no other record of him.
4. Ann Elizabeth DODDS, 4th child of John and Mary Frances Dodds
Ann Elizabeth DODDS all that I know of her is that she married an Irish sea captain named McMurtrey and that she died in Ireland, No dates known.
5. Henry DODDS, 5th child of John and Mary Frances Dodds
Henry DODDS (and his 11 children) appears to have had training in the mercantile side of the hardware business in England, as a young man. In February 1853, together with his brother John Hindmarsh Dodds, he left England (Liverpool), in a sailing ship named ‘Frances’ on 10th February. After an adventurous voyage, they arrived at Sydney on 14th June 1853. When crossing the Southern Ocean between the Cape of Good Hope and Australia in addition to some terrific weather as sailing the little ship of some 400 tons, the Captain drove himself made with alcohol and twice attempted to kill his chief officer by shooting and by bayoneting him. The Chief Officer, with the assistance of some of the passengers, overpowered and disarmed the Captain and placed him in confinement. A deputation of passengers asked the Chief Officer to take command until the ship arrived at Sydney. This was done and legal proceedings were taken against the Captain who was appropriately dealt with. The ‘Frances’ was a wooden vessel and leaked badly from the time of leaving Liverpool. So much so, that a deputation of passengers asked the Captain to return to port. He would not do so, although pumping was necessary every few hours and the able bodied men amongst the passengers helped regularly in this work as much from motives of self preservations, as from their wishes to assist the over worked crew The leaking was of course worse in bad weather, of which the ship had her full share. The incident with the Captain occurred when they were between the Cape of Good Hope and Australia, two months after they left England.
Henry appears to have enjoyed a fair measure of prosperity in Sydney with many friends and an active social life. He was interested in horse racing and is reputed to have been part—owner of a race horse which, as an outside on which betting was 100 to 1, was the winner of the Melbourne Cup of his year and the only horse ever to do so on which this betting price was offered.
Descendents of Henry & Harriet Anne (nee Binning) DODDS
Henry married Harriet Anne BINNING in Sydney on 28th April 1859 1161/1859, when she was 17 years old, they had 11 children, of whom three males and two females died in infancy. The other six grew up and I will mention them later. I do not know when the following incident occurred, but it was apparently when Henry was enjoying his prosperity. While he and some of his friends were at a social gathering, one of them approached Henry and asked him to back a bill for him. At the same time producing it. Henry, at the time, in an expansive mood, signed his undertaking to back the bill without looking at it. In due course he was called upon to honour his undertaking. This was so serious a blow to his finances (and probably to his pride) that he left Sydney and went to live in Yass a town about 200 miles from Sydney in a sheep and wool district and is described as a Commission Agent and remained there for the remainder of his life. His wife, Harriet Anne, died in September 1884, aged 42 years and Henry himself died in July 1907 12066/1907 aged 73 years. Their surviving children were:
1. Minnie Dodds born 1860 4102/1860 at St Leonards and died 1938 17384/1938
2. Harriet B. Dodds born 1862 3426/1862 at Paddington
3. Jane A. Dodds born 1864 3633/1864 and died in 1864 2254/1864at Paddington
4. Percy S. Dodds born 1865 3846/1865 and died in 1865 1993/1865 at Paddington
5. Winifred M. Dodds born 1866 3977/1866 at Paddington
6. Muriel R. Dodds born 1869 4405/1869 at Paddington
7. Henry Dodds born 1871 4869/1871 at Paddington and died in 1920 1545/1920 at Chatswood
8. Ethel Dodds born 1880 27722/1880 and died in 1880 11139/1880 at Yass
9. Alexander Darling Dodds born 1884 33318/1884 and died in 1880 14011/1884 at Yass

1. Minnie DODDS, 1st and eldest child of Henry and Harriet Anne Dodds born in 1860 4102/1860 at St Leonards, died 1938 17384/1938. Married Aldred LEE in March 1879 5273/1879, and had five children. Minnie Erbrita Lee in 1880 27592/1880, Winifred M Lee in 1882 9464/1882, Norah St G Lee in 1886 12389/1886, Thelma St G Lee in 1890 37176/1890 and Ronald Alfred Lee in 1894 36533/1894. The only son born 1894, is still living and has a family, one daughter, a widow aged 84 is still living. I knew them all, and am in touch with the daughter. Thelma Lee died in 1910 15957/1910 aged 20 and the other two daughters are now dead.
Alfred LEE was a prominent businessman in Sydney. Born in Dublin in 1858, he died in Sydney in 1923. The son Ronald Alfred carried on in the business of which his father was the head. Minnie was a charming lady, for whom I had a great affection. See Annexure re their contribution to forming the Mitchell Library.
2. Harriet B DODDS — 2nd child of Henry and Harriet Dodds, born in 1862 3426/1862 at Paddington. Married Glenworth Addison in 1884 7394/1884 at Yass and became Mrs. ADDISON. Glenworth and Harriet B had two children – both boys: Glenworth Addison in 1885 34512/1885 at Yass and Wilfred E Addison in 1887 36618/1887 also at Yass. I met her only once after she had been widowed and I have met her son on two or three occasions. He is a retired officer of the Bank of New South Wales.
3. Jane A DODDS – 3rd child of Henry and Harriet Dodds, born at Sydney in 1864 3633/1864 and died the same year 2254/1864.
4. Percy DODDS – 4th child of Henry and Harriet Dodds, born 1865 3846/1865 at Sydney and died the same year 1993/1865.
5. Winifred Muriel DODDS — 5th child of Henry and Harriet Dodds, born at Sydney in 1886 3977/1866. Has been dead for about 15 years but I do not know the date. She married her half-uncle Leonard Dodds who was born at North Sydney in 186l. He was a son of ‘our’ John Dodds and his 3rd English wife, Mary nee Hughes, and his name was Leonard. He died in Sydney on May 8 1928, in his 68th year. Winifred Muriel was an attractive and elegant woman, with a lot of personality and fond of society in which she cut a considerable figure in the Sydney circles of the day. Her husband, Leonard, was for some part of his life a stockbroker and apparently wealthy and able to maintain a considerable establishment. I know two large houses in which they lived and in which I have visited them. One of these was built to Leonard’ own requirements and it is a mansion. He named it ‘Alnwick House’ after the town Alnwick, in England, where so many of his ancestors lived. Indications are that Leonard’s prosperity declined in his later years, as they were living on a much more modest scale when Leonard died and had been so doing for several years after they left ‘Alnwick House’. They had four children, all of whom I have met:
Descendents of Leonard & Winifred Muriel DODDS
1. Winifred Leonie DODDS was born 1889 9729/1889 — married a Naval Officer - John M Jackson in 1908 12069/1908 at St Leonard’s and later divorced him. Winifred L Dodds divorced John M Jackson and remarried Otto F J Wolff? in 1924 8246/1924 at Parramatta and had two children whom I do not know. She died but date is unknown to me.
2. Edward Hindmarsh DODDS was born 1891 32625/1891 — is dead also. Edward Hindmarsh Dodds married Viva Brock in 1921 9672/1921 at Sydney and had some descendants, but I know nothing about them.
3. Leonard Arthur DODDS was born 31st January 1895 4266/1895 at Katoomba. I knew Leonard really knew well. Leonard enlisted in the Royal Australian Navy, Service Number 826 on 14th August 1942 at Killara, NSW and served on the HMAS Penguin as a Constable 1st Class. He was unmarried and a year or two younger than I, and he died very suddenly on September 26 1960, while discussing some details of a house, which was being built for him.
4. Henry Charles (Harry) DODDS wasborn 1898 23323/1898 — was a bachelor; he died in New Guinea, date unknown.
6. Muriel DODDS — was the 6th child of Henry and Harriet Dodds born 1869 4405/1869. Muriel Dodds married Gresley W. H. Lukin in 1893 8/1893 at Sydney and they lived in Western Australia. I never met her. Gresley & Muriel had two children born in NSW – Dorothy A Lukin 2301/1893 and John H Lukin 2302/1893 who I believe were twins, but I know nothing about them.
7. Henry (Harry) James DODDS - was the 7th child and only surviving son of Henry and Harriet Dodds born in 1871 4869/1871. Henry Dodds married Cecilia May Shepherd in 1897 4461/1897 at Sydney. Henry and Cecilia had four children Harry C Dodds 31967/1897, Edith M Dodds 21952/1900, Herbert James Dodds 16008/1902, William F Dodds 23202/1904. I knew them all from early 1905 until mid 1914. Herbert James Dodds died in 1938 16915/1938 at Hurstville he was only 36. Harry died in Chatswood in 1920 1545/1920 and his wife died pre-1938. I have lost sight of the son and daughter in spite a several efforts I have made to trace them. They would now be about 70 years of age, if still living. None of the other Dodds relatives in Sydney knew anything of them. I do not know what Harry’s occupation was in his earlier years but when I was in touch with him and his children were young, he was employed in the warehouse of the business of which his brother-in-law Alfred Lee, was the heath
8. Una DODDS — was the 8th surviving child of Henry and Harriet Dodds. She married a man named CORBOULD who was a person of some importance in the world of Mining Companies of his day and I deduce, fairly affluent. They had at least one son and one daughter. I met Una and her daughter only on one occasion in late 1917. Her personality was very similar to that of her sister, Winifred Muriel, whom I mentioned above. I believe the both she and her husband are dead, but I do not know about their children.
9. Ethel DODDS – 9th child of Henry and Harriet Dodds, born at Yass in 1880 27722/1880 and died the same year 11139/1880.
10. Alexander Darling DODDS – 10th child of Henry and Harriet Dodds, born at Yass in 1884 33318/1884 and died the same year 14011/1884.
11. Baby DODDS The 11th child of Henry and Harriet Dodds appears to be another child that died at birth and no official records exit.
This completes my description of Henry Dodds and his descendants,

6. Mary Frances, 6th child of John and Mary Frances Dodds
Mary Frances DODDS — the 6th child and 3rd daughter of John and Mary Frances Dodds, born a Dodds, married a HINDMARSH, and thus repeated her own mother’s maiden name. She came to Australia in a sailing ship named ‘Saldanha’, 1,565 tonnes, which, on this voyage carried 660 passengers in the steerage most of whom were emigrants, being brought to Australia under one of the Government assisted schemes, which were in vogue in those days and till operate However, they now travel under much more comfortable condition In fact, many of them are brought by air. A search of the report of this ship’s arrival at Melbourne, which I made, shows that Mary Frances was an ordinary 3rd Class passenger and not assisted under any scheme for emigrants. She would, no doubt, have had the same accommodation as the assisted passengers, and the same food, the only difference being that she paid her passage money in full. The ship left Liverpool in England on 18th March l854 and arrived at Melbourne on 16th June 1854. There is no report of any adverse conditions on the voyage. Mary Frances was just 19 years old when she arrived at Melbourne, and as far as I know, she travelled alone. Why she did this, or how she obtained the consent of her family in England, I do not know. Nor do I know why she not come with her two brothers Harry and John Hindmarsh, who had come to Australia a year before her as saloon passengers She was evidently a young woman of considerable force of character (a photo of her taken in her 60’s suggests this). None of her descendants in New Zealand living the last 10 years, knew when or how she came to Australia, and I discovered the facts only after considerable search. One of her grand daughters living in New Zealand, and about my own age, with whom I am in touch, and who is interested in the family history, told me that Mary Frances had been to school in Germany I wish I had known her, but I had never heard of her until after I started my own research into the history of the Dodds family. Even then, she was no more than a name to me for a long time
The present day relatives in Sydney knew nothing of her and I have never heard my grandfather, John Hindmarsh Dodds mention her name. He spoke occasionally to me of his brother Henry, with whom Mary Frances arrived at Melbourne, her father John and his wife, Mary, nee Hughes, and the first child of this marriage, were living at Geelong about 40 miles from Melbourne. They had gone there from Sydney on November 25 1854 in a steamer, the ‘Sir John Harvey’ This move probably was to enable John to be near his son, William Darling, who was then at Geelong. It is a fair inference that Mary Franc went to her father and step—mother at Geelong, after landing at Melbourne. It is on record in the Mitchell Library in Sydney, amongst the list of shipping arrivals at Sydney in the years 1855 and 1856, that Miss Dodds arrived from Melbourne as a passenger in S.S. ‘City of Sydney’ on 11th November 1855. Also that she arrived again from Melbourne as a passenger in S.S. ‘Wonga Wonga’ on 26th March 1856. I have no doubt that this Miss Dodds is Mary Frances Dodds
At all events on 2nd April 1856 at St. Thomas Church, North Sydney, she married William Henry Scott HINDMARSH. He was a son of Ralph HINDMARSH, who was a military officer of the Commissariat Department of the Army at Norfolk Island, when his son was born in 1835. In 1845, after some years in Sydney, the son was sent to England to complete his education He returned to Sydney in 1852, and was for some time private secretary to Sir Thomas Mitchell, Surveyor General.
The Hindmarsh and the Dodds families both lived at Alnwick in England. This and other known facts point to the development of a romantic attachment between Mary Frances and William Henry Scott, during the time he was in England, and that it still existed when he returned to Sydney and in November 1855, when Mary Frances came to Sydney from Melbourne on a visit. It seems that a formal engagement was made then, her second visit to Sydney was only six days before her marriage there. I have two original letters written in Sydney by William Henry Scott to Mary Frances. One is dated 19th December 1854 and the other is undated, but obviously later. In the second one, he tells Mary Frances, inter alia, that he has asked her brother Henry, in whose house she was staying in Sydney during her visit, for his permission to aspire to her hand. Both letters now almost 116 years old are in beautiful hand writing, beautifully expressed. William’s education was certainly not wasted on him. I might here mention that Norfolk Island, which is in the Pacific Ocean, about half way between New Zealand and Noumea, is where the worst—behaved of the convicts transported to Sydney were sent as punishment after incorrigible behaviour in Sydney. It was one of the most terrible examples of a terrible era, which still existed when William Henry Scott was born. The Island is one of nature’s gems of 13 square miles area and was uninhabited until it was made into a prison. Now, for many years since its prison days ended a peaceful sylvan place, a Dependency of the State of New South Wales, and a tourist attraction.
William Henry Scott and Mary Frances moved from Sydney to Ipswich, a town 24 miles from Brisbane, in the early years of their marriage. Some of their children were born at Ipswich and some (I think two) died there in infancy. They had 14 children in all, all of whom are now dead. William Henry Scott was employed in a secretarial position in the business community in Ipswich. However, about 1868, he became influenced by ‘get rich quickly’ stories coming from the goldfields in New Zealand. In consequence he decided to go there with his wife and family, hoping to make his fortune as others had done. He did not succeed in this, but they stayed there for the remainder of their lives and had six more children there. They lived at Reefton in the north—west of the south island. Mary Frances died there of heart failure on January 3 1915, aged 80 years. William Henry Scott died there in 1919, also aged 80 years. I know two of the children of their 5th child Walter Scott Hindmarsh, about my own age, I first met in England in 1913, when we were fellow guests in the home of our cousin Miss Jane Ann SINKINSIN, whom I have mentioned earlier. Her mother, Jane Ann, nee Dodds, was the eldest sister of Mary Frances and also of my own grandfather, John Hindmarsh Dodds.
This completes my remarks on the history of Mary Frances, the 6th child of the marriage of John Dodds and Mary Frances Hindmarsh.
7. John Hindmarsh DODDS, 7th child of John and Mary Frances Dodds
John Hindmarsh DODDS – the 7th child, was born on 27th January 1837 at Alnwick. When he was 11 months old, his mother died of typhus in an epidemic, which was raging in the locality at that time. Thus, the seven children ranging in age from 12 years to 11 months of age, were left without their mother. Their father, John Dodds, had a sister Ann, born in April 1792, who married Thomas SKELLY in 1815, and had her only child in 1817. This child died in 1824. Ann Skelly was able and willing to act as foster — mother to her brother’s seven children, and I believe that she did 5 I do not know whether she took them to her own home in ‘Freelands’, near Alnwick, or whether they were left in the home in which they had been before their mother’s death. My opinion is that she would have taken them to her own home, as she was then childless, and she and her husband were in comfortable circumstances. Ann Skelly lived until June 1868, and was then a widow but I do not know when her husband died. Ann, in her Will, left £1,000 to each of the seven children of her brother John and Mary Frances, and £1,000 to John himself, also a number of other bequests to her late husband’s relatives and to others. I have no evidence of John Dodds’ movements after the death of his wife Mary Frances in January 1838, until about 1843, when he is stated to have returned to England to have ‘returned’ he must previously have ‘gone’ somewhere. Would it not be likely that he had ‘gone’ again to somewhere in Africa? (See my remarks under the heading o ‘Dodds Family in England, 1700 — 1720’ wherein I mention having seen a Photostat of a letter written by ‘ a nephew of John, in 1918, stating that he had seen his uncle about 1843, when he came home on a visit.) We are back to a firm basis in 1850 when in April of that year, John married in London, his last wife Mary Hughes. I will write of this marriage under its own heading. Let us now return to John Hindmarsh, the 7th child of John and Mary Frances Dodds.
I have no record of the first 16 years of the life of John Hindmarsh Dodds, but I know that a month after he had reached that age, he and his brother Henry, left for Sydney, Australia, in a sailing ship named ‘Frances’. I have given an account of this voyage in my remarks on Henry, so need not repeat the story. John who was my grandfather, told me sometimes of this voyage. He was very active in helping the sailors, and in taking his turn at the laborious pumping out, which had to be done during the whole voyage, as mentioned in my remarks on Henry. John Hindmarsh gave evidence as a witness in the court proceedings against the Captain for his homicidal assault on the Chief Officer, John Hindmarsh remained in Sydney for eight years. I do not know where he was employed, but it was most likely to have been with one of the mercantile business firms, and possibly with the same one as his brother Henry. In 1859, when it was first separated from New South Wales, John Hindmarsh probably formed the idea that it may offer opportunities for more rapid progress than existed for him in Sydney. He came to Brisbane from Sydney in February 1861, in a paddle steamer, named Yarra Yarra and he remained a Queenslander as long as he lived The experience he obtained in his work in Sydney over the eight years he was there must have been of the right kind for Brisbane he at once entered the service of J. and G. Harris, a firm of general warehousemen, shipping agents and suppliers of the varied needs of a young and vast country at the beginning of its development. He was then on the verge of his 25th birthday.
Descendants of John Hindmarsh and Ellen Marie (nee Somerset) DODDS
On 24th September 1864, at the residence of the bride’s parents at Brisbane, John Hindmarsh Dodds married Ellen Marie SOMERSET. He was then aged 27 years and eight months, and his bride was aged 18 years and four months. Their three children were three daughters.
1. Ernestine Gertrude DODDS. The first, Ernestine Gertrude was born on 11th August 1866 and died on 23rd December 1866.
2. Ethel Leonie Violet DODDS. The second, was born on 5th January 1868 and on 17th October 1891, I her only son was born – Robert Mearns. My sister, her only daughter, was born on 9th December 1893. I will write more of her history later in this story
3. Ida Geraldine DODDS. The third daughter was born on May 11 1871. Ida Geraldine married Percy HORWOOD on 4th August 1897, had one son and one daughter, and died on 13th April 1951, a widow. She had a happy married life. Her daughter died on 20th March 1939, and her son is still living aged 67.
The 18-year-old bride of John Hindmarsh Dodds — Ellen Maria Somerset, was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and was the 2nd daughter of Daniel Rowntree Somerset and his wife Dora, nee Higginson. Both Daniel and Dora were born in Northern Ireland, as were their three children. I know practically nothing of Daniel and Dora’s family backgrounds but I think they were of English descent, and their religion was Baptist, Dora, my great-grandmother, and her second daughter, Ellen Maria, had good looks, chic and attractiveness — this is the tradition, which is supported by photographs. Dora, my great—grandmother, died in 1867, 24 years before I was born, but I have a very clear memory of Ellen Maria, my grandmother. In 1869, Daniel remarried, a middle-aged English spinster who outlived him. He died in 1886.

On 12th September 1849, he with his wife, two daughters and one son, came to Australia in a sailing ship ‘Duke of Bronte’ with Captain Barclay at the helm and they landed at Adelaide in September 1850.
For some reason or another, they left Melbourne in another sailing ship ‘Jenny Lind’ was bound for London via Singapore. I do not know whether they were going to disembark at Singapore or at London. Leaving Melbourne on 3rd September 1850, the ship struck a coral reef at 4.00 a.m. on the 21st September 1850, and quickly became a total loss, though it fortunately remained fast on the reef though breaking up.
The reef was an outlying islet of the Great Barrier Reef, low sandy and with no water or vegetation. They were in a desperate plight, with little food or water, not likely to be sighted by any other ship in that unfrequented spot. Only one of the ship’s boats was undamaged and fit to try to get to a port, the nearest being Brisbane, about 440 miles away. The one boat was quite unable to accommodate the crew and passengers. They had all been taken safely ashore from the wreck and at low tide, were able to go back on board and salvage a little food, clothing, tools and charts and navigation instruments. They could not get any fresh water, as the tanks in which it was kept we submerged. The death of all hands (28) from thirst, was practically certain, had not a passenger who was a surgeon, improvised means of distilling drinking water from the sea by using the cook’s coppers and some lead piping salvaged from the wreck, and wood from the wreck for fuel. It was decided to attempt to build a boat from timber from the wreck and some hardware, and the carpenter’s tools, which were salvaged. Under the supervision of the carpenter, assisted by those of the men who were competent, they built a boat and in it, 22 persons and six in the boat from the ship with every vessel they had which would hold water, filled to capacity by constantly working the distilling apparatus, they succeeded in reaching Brisbane in ten days, owing their lives to the knowledge of the surgeon passenger, Mr. Beal. Mr. Somerset kept a diary of events from the time of the wreck and it is very interesting. He saw the hand of providence in their delivery from a ghastly fate, and he decided to remain in Brisbane. All the passengers and crew of the Jenny Lind arrived safely at Brisbane. The women and children, though exhausted after their ordeal, were in reasonable good health. My grandmother was then 4 ½ years old. My great-grandmother would have been about 38. They were 37 days on the islet on which they were wrecked, its name if Ken’s Reef and the position is 21.15 S and 155.50 E
John Hindmarsh Dodds remained in the service of Messrs. J and G. Harris until 1869 when having received his legacy of £1,000 from his aunt’s estate, he decided to start sugar growing and the manufacture of raw sugar from his own cane. This was in the infancy of sugar production in Queensland, the present practice of large central mills serving many growers, and still larger and more centralized refineries serving very many mills, was still in the distant future.
The Government of Queensland having decided to make available for purchase a considerable area of land for agricultural purposes, John Hindmarsh Dodds purchased a total of 242 acres on a site about 30 miles from Brisbane situated in what is now call the Redcliffe Peninsula. It was virgin forestland. Records indicate that on 13th December 1869 – John Hindmarsh Dodds bought Portion 202, 203, 212 and 213 with a total area of 242 acres for £60 10 shillings. He and his employees cleared enough to it to make his first planting and while this was growing, prepared the site for his mill and arranged his water supply. The land would be what is now regarded as first class sugar land, nor was the wealth of scientific advice in existence, which is now available for the asking, on all aspects of sugar production. In spite of these disadvantages, John Hindmarsh Dodds certainly produced raw sugar which was carted from the mill to a loading place on a deep creek flowing into Moreton Bay, where it was loaded into sailing cutters and taken by water transport to Brisbane Sugar is a once per—year seasonal crop. Realising the venture was not going to be as profitable as he had hoped, he obtained an appointment on the Department of the Auditor General in l874 and remained with this Department for 30 years. The original land purchase is now occupied by K. A. Kreb’s sawmill. In 1878 Catherine Dodds and Ida Geraldine Dodds were one of the first to enrol in the second Humbybong School.
John Hindmarsh Dodds retired in 1904 and died one year later from a heart seizure. My semi-invalided grandmother had died in July 1896, from pneumonia.
In August 1890, my mother, Ethel Leonie Violet Dodds, married my father, Malcolm Livingstone MEARNS. Ellen Maria Dodds, my maternal grandmother, as she grew older, declined in health, and required more and more attention from her daughters. Her elder daughter Ethel Leonie Violet Dodds, married my father on 21st August 1890. My opinion is that countenance was given to the marriage of my parents if they would undertake to live in the home of my mother’s parents. I was born on 17th October 1891 and my sister was born on 9th December 1893. By this time, the situation of my parents’ marriage had deteriorated to breaking point and they decided to separate. My father went completely from our lives, enlisting in the Australian Army in early 1915 and was soon in action Gallipoli where he was killed in action.
As I have mentioned in my description of the children of William Darling Dodds, the eldest brother of my grandfather, John Hindmarsh Dodds, William Dodds youngest son Alfred Ernest, came to live in his uncle’s home after the death of my grandmother, Ellen Maria, who was, of course, his aunt by marriage. He came to enter a partnership with a medical practitioner, who also practised the surgical part of dentistry, and they worked together for a year or two. Then disagreements occurred, and the partnership was dissolved. The medical practitioner was a masterful type and so was Alfred Ernest, who would not suffer any encroachment upon his privileges, which he considered was then being made.
He decided to commence practice for himself in Brisbane. He needed some capital to equip himself and I believe that his aunt, my maternal grandmother, helped him in this regard. My grandmother had a small income of her own, which had come to her from her father’s estate. Alfred Ernest never forgot her, and mentioned it to me on one occasion many years afterwards.
My grandfather, John Hindmarsh, liked him, and appreciated the companionship of Alfred’s presence, at a time when he needed it, and for the following six years. Alfred owned two racehorses in the early 1900’s both well bred, of good racing blood, which he sometimes kept at my grandfather’s place when they were not being trained also bought a pony on which my sister and I learned to ride and which was later train’ to draw a small rubber tyred two—wheeled vehicle, called locally a ‘sulky’.
Life at the old home was very pleasant for my sister and for me. The site itself is unrecognisable, the house was moved from its original site, which meant that all the big garden plantation disappeared, and the house itself was later subdivided for letting in small units and allowed to fall into disrepair. It was completely demolished a few months ago, by a new purchaser who has erected modern two—storied brick housing units on the site. I remember my grandfather very well and I think of with deep affection and respect. We, myself and my sister, Irene Dorothea owe him much Irene became a trained nurse and married in 1924 and she has two sons and a daughter, who are themselves married and have children and. grandchildren nearby.
In my possession is a massive silver medal inscribed ‘Prize medal for the Best Shot No. 1 Company Brisbane Volunteers 1861 J. H. DODDS’.
Remembering that in my account of the Dodds family in England 1700 — 1920, I wrote of William Dodds, 1838—1920, had a reputation as a marksman at the Bisley rifle shooting competition, and was born in 1838. I remember also that my grandfather was born in 1837, thus these two Dodds men, whose birth dates were so close, each inherited a straight eye and a steady hand — does this run in the family?
Robert H. Mearnes — I am the eldest grandchild of John Hindmarsh Dodds, and the eldest son of his eldest surviving daughter. He had three daughters but no sons. From my earliest days, I was strongly attracted by boats, ships, engines and anything mechanical. As I approached 15 years of age, efforts were made toward having me apprenticed an engineering firm, and I was in full accord with this. I went to a firm whose works were to build steam locomotives for the Queensland Railways, small steam vessels and general repairs of any mechanical type which came their way I worked on for a year after the termination of my apprenticeship, and then through the interest of the Chief Engineer of one of the big refrigerated ships which carried frozen meat from Australia to England, I was able to ‘work a passage’ to London and then to Glasgow where I went to work in the engine shops of John Brown & Co., at Clydebank, for about year. I was with the Engineering Department of the Queensland Government for 20 years and attained the position of Senior Inspector. I retired on 17th October 1956 and have been enjoying my retirement ever since. I married Ada Marion nee Josey (the surname from the 16th century Spanish ancestor) and have been greatly blessed in that we have had 49 years of happy life together and we have reasonably good health and sufficient for our needs. We have a son, who has two young sons and a wife whom we are very fond of. Our daughter, Judith Patricia, is the wife of Colin Ware, an Anglican Minister, in an outer suburban parish in Sydney. They have three sons and two daughters.
This completes my history of John Hindmarsh Dodds and his descendants.

Chapter Four
¨
Dodds – In Australia

Chapter Four – Dodds in Australia
Descendants of John & Mary (nee Hughes-4th wife) DODDS
I have no record of the movements of John Dodds from the time of the death of his 2nd wife Mary Frances, nee Hindmarsh, until a report of his visiting England in l843 (see anecdote written by his nephew, William, on January 1918 and referred to in my Dodds family in England) The use of the term ‘visiting’ implies that he had been away from England I assume that he had been in Africa. In your letter to me dated 13th November 1968, you mention the possibility of his having returned to Gambia after 1838. I do not know when he returned to England, and the only mention of his presence there other than his nephews mention of having seen him in l843, until the date of his last marriage is a word of mouth legend passed on to me by one of his granddaughters in Sydney some years ago. It concerns his intention to take to Australia an original painting of a scene near Dolgelley, in N.S.W., which had been given to him by some of his friends. What association he had with Dolgelley is unknown? It is a mountainous and remote place even today. It appears that some objection had been raised about taking the painting to Australia on account of the inconvenience it would cause. John’s reply to this is said to have been that if the painting did not go to Australia, neither would he. He was married for the last time on Thursday, 14th April 1850 at St. Clement’s Church on the Strand, London, to Mary, the eldest daughter of Edward England Hughes, a mariner. On the 14th May 1850, John and Mary Dodds sailed from London in the barque ‘Bernicia’ for Sydney They were accompanied in the ‘Bernicia’ by Mrs. Martha Hughes, mother of the bride, also by two younger sisters of the bride — Misses Agnes and C. Hughes. Martha’s husband had presumably died before the wedding, as his name is not mentioned.
One of John’s descendants by this marriage told me that a former Governor of NSW Lieutenant—General Sir Ralph Darling, who was Governor in a difficult period of the convict era, 1825—1831 and who was a brother of John’s mother (Ann nee Darling) had spoken to the Dodds family of the opportunities which would exist in Australia for men fitted to take advantage of them. Incidentally, Sir Ralph was recalled from his appointment as Governor as a result of some adverse criticism of his administration What the rights and wrongs were, I do not know, but one thing is certain, and that is that his appointment must have been a most difficult one to administer in a time renowned for its brutality. The first of the Dodds family to act on his uncle’s advice about Australia was William Darling Dodds, the eldest son of John by his marriage to Mary Frances Hindmarsh, who arrived in Sydney in January l848, and who married Miss Agnes Hughes, in Sydney in St. Andrew’s Cathedral on 5th July 1851. I have seen the record of this marriage in St Andrew’s Register and also that of the death of Agnes on 10th September 1851 and I have located her grave in Camperdown Cemetery in Sydney. I have written of this in my remarks of William Darling Dodds.
The second member of the family to act on Sir Ralph’s advice about Australia, was John himself and the 3rd and 4th were Henry and John Hindmarsh, who came together in 1853, previously told.
Descendants of John and Mary Frances DODDS
1. Agnes DODDS – On 26th June 1853, at North Sydney, a daughter was born to John and Mary Dodds - Agnes. On 24th September 1853, John and Mary Dodds and their infant daughter, Agnes, left Sydney in the steamer ‘Sir John Harvey’ for Geelong, where they took up residence in Corio Street. John’s son, William Darling, had gone to Geelong about the same time to take up his farming land on the outskirts of Geelong, as mentioned previously. At Geelong on 14th June 1855, the death occurred of Agnes Dodds, infant daughter of John and Mary, aged almost two years.
2. Sydney DODDS – On 17th May 1855, at Geelong, a son was born to John and Marry Dodds - Sydney. He lived for many years in a country locality about 200 miles north of Sydney. Sydney Dodds married his 1st wife Anne Euphemia DAWES in 1882 5866/1882. Anne was born 1862 12009/1862 and was one of seven children of Richard and Jane Dawes who lived in the Patrick Plains District in the Hunter Valley. In 1877 Sydney Dodds purchased 60 acres that had originally been a grant to Thomas Moore in Martinsville near Dorah Creek – Newcastle NSW where he settled and took up farming. In December 1878, Sydney Dodds allowed a school to be built on part of his land known as Deep Creek Provisional School. The Department of Public Instruction confirmed Sydney’s position as a teacher in December 1878. In May 1881, Sydney Dodds transferred to a school in Newcastle and a Miss Gleeson replaced him (see Annexures for Sydney’s involvement in the Martinsville community). Ann Dodds died in 1896 15350/1896 at Swansea and Sydney met second wife Marie Bockenstein who had married at Goulburn in 1897 5428/1897. Although I never met him my mother and my sister stayed at his home for a short visit in 1911 and met Sydney and his 2nd wife Marie Dodds at Goulburn and a son. Sydney Dodds died on 2nd October 1936 24252/1936, at Wyong and would have been 81 years of age.

Descendants of Sydney and Anne Euphemia (nee DAWES) DODDS
Sydney had four sons:
1. Herbert Sydney DODDS was born in 1882 at Patrick Plains 26692/1882 and died on 13th February 1959. Herbert Sydney Dodds married Elizabeth M Bohan in 1908 at Kempsey 8077/190. Herbert Sydney enlisted in the Boer War Regimental No.12 in 18th April 1902 as a Trooper in the 5th Battalion Australian Commonwealth Light Horse NSW.
2. Leonard Charles DODDS was born in 1884 at East Maitland 23918/1884 and died on 23rd November 1951. Leonard Charles DODDS married Annie Howe in 1905 at West Maitland 1683/1905. Annie was from Newcastle, England. Leonard Charles Dodds remarried Margaret Jane Castledine in 1941 16223/1941 at Singleton
3. John Sydney DODDS was born in 1886 at East Maitland 25572/1886. John Sydney DODDS married Veda I Mactaggart (McTaggart) in 1911 in Singleton 10687/1911
4. Eric Harold DODDS was born in 1887 at East Maitland 26282/1887 and died xxxx. Eric Harold DODDS married Mabel Blanche Dennis in 1911 at Kempsey 5821/1911.
5. Wilfred Richard DODDS ????? – supplied by Herbert Sydney Dodds. Wilfred Richard DODDS married Lucy E Oleary in 1919 at Kempsey 4176/1919.
Rita Clare DODDS Service Number - NF482122 : Date of birth - 18 Jul 1926 : Place of birth - KEMPSEY NSW : Place of enlistment - PADDINGTON : Next of Kin - DODDS LUCY
Isabel Mary DODDS: Service Number - NF454181 : Date of birth - 02 Feb 1925 : Place of birth - KEMPSEY NSW : Place of enlistment - PADDINGTON NSW : Next of Kin - DODDS LUCY

Descendents of Herbert Sydney & Elizabeth M (nee Bohan) DODDS
There are some grandsons living at a locality about 350 miles north of Sydney at Kempsey. Herbert Sydney had three sons and four daughters, one son died – he was the twin brother of Eric. I have never met any of them, but have exchanged some letters with one of these grandsons, whose name is Sydney Leonard Dodds, and is almost 48 years old at the time of writing. A meeting was arranged between us three years ago, but had to be cancelled because of an illness of mine. We will arrange another later this year I hope. Sydney Leonard was an Insurance Company representative.
1. Eric Wilfred DODDS was born on 23rd September 1909 at Kempsey and died xxxx Twin brother of John H Dodds. Eric Dodds married Marriage of Eric Harold Dodds to Mabel Dennis in 1911 5821/1911 at Kempsey. Eric enlisted in the RAAF 66633 on 29th June 1942 at West Kempsey and was discharged on 24th December 1945 as a Leading Aircraftman at 84 Operational Base Unit.
2. John Harold DODDS was born on xxxxx and died in 1909 9667/1909 at Kempsey. Twin brother of Eric Dodds
3. Sydney Leonard DODDS was born 18th August 1922 at Kempsey NSW and died xxxx. Sydney enlisted initially joining the Army NX118768 (N387629) on the 24th December 1941 at West Kempsey and was discharged as a Gunner in the 1st A A Bde on the 14th June 1944 and joined the RAAF 445364 on 15th June 1944 – the very next day at Sydney NSW and was discharged on 28th August 1945 as a Leading Aircraftman at 3 Stores Depot.
4. Daughter 1 – DODDS was born xxxx at Kempsey NSW and died xxxx. Married xxxx
16565/1938 ROGAN ERNEST NEIL DODDS MARJORIE JANE KEMPSEY
5. Daughter 2 – DODDS was born xxxx at Kempsey NSW and died xxxx. Married xxxx
14048/1940 TILBROOK JACK DODDS OLIVE MAY KEMPSEY
6. Daughter 3 – DODDS was born xxxx at Kempsey NSW and died xxxx. Married xxxx
13675/1941 MORRIS EDWARD STANLEY DODDS LUCY CECILIA KEMPSEY
7. Daughter 4 – DODDS was born xxxx at Kempsey NSW and died xxxx. Married xxxx
24815/1939 DUFFICY MARTIN FRANCIS DODDS GLADYS EVALYN KEMPSEY
10332/1937 HARTMANN ERIC NORMAN DODDS EILEEN WINIFRED KEMPSEY
4384/1892 HARVEY FREDERICK W DODDS MARGARET KEMPSEY
3262/1895 HARVEY CORNELIUS DODDS MARY KEMPSEY
4324/1894 MOHR ALBERT A DODDS SARAH E KEMPSEY

Descendents of Leonard Charles & Anne (nee Howe) DODDS
1. Arthur DODDS born xxxx at xxxx died xxxx at xxxx
2. Reginald Sydney DODDS born xxxxx married Mary Agnes Heffernan in 1933 at Cessnock 8147/1933 died xxxx at xxxx
3. Wilfred Harold DODDS born 28th January 1908 at Kurri Kurri. Wilfred Harold Dodds married Clarice Melba Carey at Singleton in 1930 2341/1930. Clarice was the third daughter of Thomas Edward Carey and Ethel Pearl Downes. Clarice had three sisters – Joyce, Enid, and a younger sister Beryl. Thomas Carey’s father was James Thomas Carey and Mary Magdaline Cary of Kilcarney, North Ireland. Wilfred Harold and Clarice lived in William Street, Singleton whilst their children grew up. Wilfred went to school at Singleton and Milbrodale and later worked on his father’s farm. Wilfred enlisted in the Army NX136397 (N100794) on 16th November 1942 at Singleton, NSW and his knowledge of horses came to the fore and he was transferred into the 5th Pack Transport Company. He rose through the ranks to reach the rank of Warrant Officer Class 2 and was discharged on 25th October 1945. Wilfred and Clarice eventually separated in the 1950s and Wilfred met Atheta Frazier and they lived at Leicester Avenue, Strathfield and later at Briner Street, Macksville before they both moved into a nursing home. Wilfred died in the 1990’s and Atheta died soon after.
In his early years I heard that Wilfred was involved in the construction of the Putty Road that pushed through Howe’s Valley to Windsor as a replacement to the Convict Road which remnants still exist along various parts of the Putty Road and on the top of ‘Glen Anne’. I used to learn driving along the old roads and made more exciting with the responsibility of missing the large wombat holes made in the road or suffer the fate of a broken axle and a sore backside. The aboriginal cave at ‘Glen Anne’ is truly remarkable and Sydney University has listed it as part of Australian aboriginal heritage. What is even more remarkable are the sinkholes that are made by aborigines through scraping the rocks into a swirl pattern in decreasing size that the water flows in and through ingenious design wears the rock away to form natural wells for water which are handy in times of draught. For me, this was all part of living at ‘Glen Anne’ and the adventures I would have, in between setting up irrigation on the various paddocks, mowing the lucerne, bailing the hay, feeding the cattle, milking the cows, cleaning the dairy, etc etc. In the 1960s we had many visits to Bulga culminating in one of the largest Dodds family reunions. Later we also attended the re-dedication of the Bulga Memorial Gates which was made even more exciting with a helicopter clipping power lines and the lines whipping our parked cars and narrowly missing the crowds and us!
Wilfred drove trucks at Kurnell and other places around Sydney in the 1950s and by the 1960s he gained employment with the State Rail Authority and I rode with him many times as he delivered mail and wages throughout the Sydney metropolitan area. It was Wilfred that took me for driving lessons and I remember him telling me how to reverse park and that I had plenty of room until I hit a truck. He promptly looked around for any damage or witnesses and we ended up taking off.
4. Joseph (Joe) Arthur DODDS born 30th June 1917 married Isabella B Forbes in 1935 14461/1935 at Cessnock and died xxxxxx. Joe had 5 children – David Dodds, Robert Dodds, Beverly Dodds, Brian Dodds and Judy Dodds. Joseph served in WWII NX160125 (N160138) with his brothers in 5th Pack Transport Company and enlisted at Darwin NT on 11th November 1942 and at the time of discharge on 1st November 1945 was a private at 2/103 Aust Gen Tpt Pl.
5. Albert Allan DODDS born 14th September 1921 married xxxxx died xxxxx. Albert Allan served in WWII NX139221 (N283593) with his brothers in 5th Pack Transport Company and enlisted at Paddington NSW on 16th December 1941 and at the time of discharge on 3rd July 1946 was a Gunner at 14 A A/A BTY.
6. Effilia DODDS born xxxxx married Phillip and died xxxxx
7. Sylvia Anne DODDS born xxxx married to Eric John Smith in 1936 at Singleton 1860/1936 and died xxxx aged xxxx. Sylvia and Eric had three children – Kenneth (Kenny) Smith, Errol Smith and Rodney Smith xxxx. Errol Smith married his first cousin xxxxx Smith and they still live at ‘Glenn – Anne’ Milbrodale where there maternal grandfather - Leonard Charles Dodds and Annie settled.
8. Richard J DODDS born xxxx and died in 1925 14982/1925 at Singleton
9. Leonard (Lenny) W. DODDS born xxxx. Married to Lillian (Lilly) I Jerry in 1935 at Armidale 14863/1935. Lenny and Lily had three children named Yvonne Dodds now Murrel, Tim Dodds and Leonnie Dodds now Humphreys. Lenny died in Singleton on 23rd November 1951
10. Ernest (Ernie) Howe DODDS born xxxx. Ernest married Grace Alsace Minnet in 1937 at Taree 9557/1937. Ernie and Grace had four children children, two boys named Phillip and Colin Dodds, and two girls named Ellen and Janice Dodds. Ernie died xxxxx.
11. Laurel Clare DODDS born xxxx married a Mr King ???? and had xxxx children – xxxx, Laurel died xxxx at xxxx.

Descendants of Wilfred Harold & Clarice Melba (nee Carey) Dodds

1. Barbara Anne DODDS born 1929 and died 1930 19096/1930 and is buried at Bulga Cemetery.
2. Wilfred Edward DODDS born 20 November 1932 at 8 Macquarie Street, Singleton and died 7 July 1991 at Tamworth. Wilfred married Lorna and then separated and then married Valarie Carmel Evans on 4 December 1962. Valarie Carmel Evans was born on 12 January 1939 at Crookwell, NSW. Wilfred grew up in Singleton and used shooting and trapping rabbits as a favourite pastime. Valarie was involved in a factory accident which mangled her middle and ring fingers on her left hand in an industrial sewing machine and with the subsequent settlement Wilfred and Valarie bought a shop at Dora Creek (I do not believe that Wilfred new that Sydney had property at Dora Creek and was involved in donating land and teaching in the school there!). After a period of time they moved to a shop at Valentine and from there to a house at Charlestown when Wilfred commenced work as a painter with the then Maritime Services Board. Wilfred studied at Newcastle TAFE to become a Master Painter / Decorator an achievement he was very proud of. In 1969 after the birth of Ian Dodds, the family moved to the Royal Hotel Weethalle and stayed there till 1972 and they moved to Macksville till 1973 and then moved to the Royal Hotel, Quirindi. In 1981, Wilfred semi retired and moved to Tamworth and then started work again at Aberdeen Abattoirs and later he commenced work at Treloars at Tamworth as a Service Manager, Hardware.
3. Valma May DODDS born and died 11th September 1981.
4. Errol Lindsay DODDS born February 1941
Descendants of Wilfred Edward Dodds and his first wife Lorna

1. John Robert DODDS born 1953

2. David Edward DODDS born 1957

Descendants of John Robert Dodds and Cheryl
1. Shayne DODDS born 1977

2. Christopher DODDS born 1982

3. Leigh DODDS born 1986

Descendants of David Edward Dodds and Helen Patricia
1. Mitchell David Dodds born 1987

2. Giles Mervyn Dodds born 1990

3. Emisson Jon Dodds born 1992

Descendants of Wilfred Edward Dodds & Valarie Carmel (nee Evans) Dodds

1. Kevin Wilfred Dodds born 27th February 1960 at Waratah, Newcastle.

2. Barbara Anne Dodds born 7th April 1962 at Matah Hospital, Western Suburbs, Newcastle.

3. Ian Stuart Dodds born 12th June 1969 at Belmont Hospital, Newcastle.

Descendants of Kevin Wilfred Dodds & Kathryn Anne Mary (nee Harris) Dodds
Kevin married Kathryn Anne Mary Harris (born 21st January 1959 at Darlinghurst) on 4 September 1983 at Penshurst, NSW. Kathryn is the second eldest daughter of Kenneth and Brenda Harris of Padstow. Kevin is an Inspector of Police, NSW Police Force and has the following academic qualifications: MBA, Grad. Dip. Bus. Admin. AIMM, AIJA, IPA, IAP, JP. Kathryn Dodds is an Assistant Accountant by occupation and has fulfilled various accounting positions whilst raising a family.

1. Andrew Wilfred Dodds born 17th May 1985 at Sutherland. Andrew attended Blue Mountains Grammar School and is currently enrolled in Bachelor of Arts – Acting for Screen & Stage at Charles Sturt University at Wagga Wagga, residing on campus at St Francis College.

2. Matthew Luke Dodds born 29th August 1985 at Katoomba. Matthew attended Blue Mountains Grammar School and is currently enrolled in Bachelor of Biotechnology at University of New South Wales, Kensington and resides on campus at Warrane College.

3. Melanie Louise Dodds born 1st July 1993 at Katoomba

4. Abbey Maree Dodds born 23rd May 1997 at Katoomba

Descendants of Barbara Anne Dodds and Grant Mervyn Gilbert Charles EDWARDS:
Barbara married Grant Mervyn Gilbert Charles EDWARDS (born 10th October 1955 and second child of Ron and Nancy EDWARDS of Tamworth) on 20th November 1982 at Tamworth, NSW and have since separated. Barbara Anne Edwards was a Registered Nurse and then raised the family upon separation and has a new partner – Malcolm Swain from the Swain family in Quirindi. Malcolm Swain is a policy officer in the Department of Health, HQ at North Sydney.

1. Pierce Ronald James Edwards born 23rd May 1984

2. Rhys Conel Jevan Edwards born 20th November 1985

3. Kyra Allyshia Skye Edwards born 20th May 1988

Descendants of Ian Stuart DODDS and Lisa McConnell:
Ian married & Lisa McConnell (born 11th September 1967) on 21st October 1995 at Gosford, NSW. Ian Stuart Dodds is a serving Police Officer and Lisa McConnell is an Ambulance Officer, both having served in the Army Reserves where they met.

1. James Stuart Dodds born

2. William Stuart Dodds born

Descendants of Valma May Dodds & Ray Hopley

1. Bruce Hopley born 5th March 1953
a. Married Wendy xxxxxx now separated:
i. Leanne born 26th September 1972
ii. Dianne born 11th August 1974
b. Married Debbie Goodwin born 20th May 1961 –children -
i. Greg born 10th October 1977
ii. Tegan born 3rd March 1987
iii. Ty born 23rd March 1992
iv. Emma-Lee born 12th November 1992
v. Beau Amber born 23rd July 1993
2. Gary Hopley born 19th December 1955 married Cheryl Allan
3. Raymond Hopley born 14th October 1961 & died in a car crash at Mt Sugerloaf, Newcastle in 1976.
4. Judith Hopley born XXXXX married Kelvin Cherry and had the following children:
1. Paul Cherry
2. Vanessa Cherry
Then divorced and re-married Graham Seabourne who have moved to Tasmania and have the following children:
3. Glen Seabourne
4. Colin Seabourne
5. David Seabourne

5…Suzanne Hopley born xxxxx married Tony Humphries and had the following children:
1. Cindy Humphries
Then divorced and re-married Darren Huxtable who have the following children:
2. Casey Huxtable born August 1989
3. Carlie Huxtable born February 1992

6. Jane Hopley born xxxxxx married

Descendants of Errol Lindsay & Nancy born 1943 (nee Brown) Dodds
1. Paul Leslie Dodds born 21st April 1962 married Narelle Margaret Toohey (born 1966, sister of Paul Leslie Toohey)
Descendants of Paul Leslie Dodds & Narelle Margaret (nee Toohey)
1. Shayne Matthew (from a previous marriage) – Dodds born 1982

2. Mitch Andrew Dodds born 1987

3. Carly Maree Dodds born 1989

2. Michelle Le-Anne Dodds born 1963 married Paul Leslie Toohey (born 1963, brother of Narelle Margaret Toohey)
Descendants of Michelle Le-Anne Dodds & Paul Leslie Toohey
1. Cameron Paul Toohey born 1988

2. Matthew James Toohey born 1990

3. Nathan Lee Toohey born 1992

3. Craig Anthony Dodds born 1965 & died 1971. Craig died by walking across a busy road and being hit by a truck.
4. Kelly Marie Dodds born 1972

Descendents of John Sydney Dodds
John Sydney DODDS married Veda I Mactaggart (McTaggart) in 1911 10687/1911 at Singleton and I am not aware of their children.
Descendents of Eric Harold Dodds
Eric Harold Dodds married Mable Blanche Dennis in 1911 5821/1911 at Kempsey and they had three children - Edwin, Harold and Olive.
1. Edwin Harold Dodds born xxxx. Edwin married Elizabeth M Anderson in 1934 8973/1934 at Kempsey.
2. Harold George Dodds born xxxxx. Harold married Phyllis Lurline Wedlock in 1938 3099/1938 at Kempsey.
3. Olive May Dodds born xxxxx. Records indicate Olive May Dodds married a Robert G L Osmond in 1929 at Leeton or married Jack Tilbrook in 1940 at Kempsey.

Descendents of Wilfred Richard Dodds?
supplied by Herbert Sydney Dodds.
Wilfred Richard DODDS married Lucy E O’Leary in 1919 4176/1919 at Kempsey and they had four children – Albert, Jack, Rita and Edna.
1. Albert Dodds born xxxx. Albert E Dodds married Edith A Manning in 1911 13380/1911 at Kempsey.
2. Jack Dodds born xxxx. NSW BDM Records indicate a Jack Dodds married Ethel E Macpherson in 1922 11675/1922 at Quirindi.
3. Rita Dodds born xxxxx
4. Edna Dodds born xxxx. NSW BDM Records indicate that Edna Irene Dodds married Selwyn Cunneen in 1936 7426/1936 at Paddington.

3. Isabella DODDS - The next birth to John and Mary Dodds was at Geelong on 25th January 1857, when Isabella DODDS was born. She died the next day.
4. Jessie Darling DODDS - The next birth was 17th April 1858, at Geelong, when Jessie Darling DODDS was born, I met her for the first time about 1899, in my grandfather’s home in Brisbane, where she stayed a night or two and I met her again at widely spaced intervals over the years The last time was when she came to see my wife and me at our home in Brisbane soon after we were married. Jessie Darling married William WALMSLEY in 1883 5518/1883 at East Maitland, who later had land in Western Queensland, where they stayed many years and were engaged in wool growing at a sheep station in the St. George district. Whilst at Moree, William and Jessie had seven sons and daughters, all of whom were engaged in the wool growing industry.
Descendents of Jessie Darling Dodds & William WALMSLEY
1. Arthur C Walmsley born 1884,
2. Leonard G Walmsley born 1885,
3. Ernest H Walmsley born 1887,
4. Mary Walmsley born 1889,
5. Valentine G Walmsley born 1891,
6. Reginald B Walmsley 1892 and
7. Muriel Walmsley born in 1893.
The daughters married men in the same industry, but I have never met either of them. I have met three of the sons. Two of them only briefly and at long intervals. One, about my own age, lives in Brisbane, and his health is not good. He retired some years ago from active participation in the management of his property, which his son now managed. Jessie Darling died in Sydney in 1936 23865/1936 aged 78 years. Her husband predeceased her.
5. Frances & Ellen DODDS - The next birth to John and Mary Dodds was at Geelong on 15th February 1860 when twin children, Frances and Ellen DODDS were born. Frances died on 22nd February, aged seven days, and Ellen died on 29th February, aged fourteen days.
Somewhere between the date of these events and March 1861, John and Mary Dodds returned to Sydney with the surviving children of their Geelong Family.
6. Leonard DODDS – On 15th March 1861, Leonard was born at North Sydney. He died at Sydney on 8th May 1928 9564/1928. Leonard married Winifred Muriel Dodds 6505/1887, at Newcastle who was one of the daughters of Henry Dodds and as I have already written what I know of marriage and it descendants in my account of Henry’s descendants, I need not repeat it. I knew Leonard Arthur (the youngest son of Leonard and Winifred) quite well during the last few years of his life and I would here like to express my indebtedness to him for his valuable help in much of the Dodds history, taken from records compiled by John Dodds himself and written into his Bible, which was in the possession of Leonard Arthur. He was amiable and well informed and was not married His home was in Sydney and he disliked the winter there and came to Brisbane to escape some of it and came to our home often, and was in rapport with us. Although three or four years younger than I, he was a generation nearer to John Dodds than I am, in that he was John’s grandson, whereas I am his great grandson.
Descendents of Leonard & Winifred Muriel Dodds
1. Leonard Arthur Dodds born 31st January 1895 at Katoomba NSW. Leonard Arthur enlisted in the Royal Australian Navy 826 on the 14th August 1942 at Killara NSW and was discharged on 17th December 1947 as a Constable 1st Class on HMAS Penguin.
7. Margaret DODDS – The last of the children of John and Mary Dodds was Margaret. She was born at Sydney on 10th January 1863. She died there in 1953 aged 90 years. Both Jessie Darling and his sister Margaret became school teachers before they married. Margaret married Walter MAY, who was a school teacher stationed in a country town. Mr. May’s sight began to fail and eventually became so bad that he had to depend upon Margaret to carry on most of his work. Margaret ‘covered up’ for him as long as she could, but when it became apparent to the authorities, they showed sufficient humanity to appoint her to her husband’s position and they were able to remain in the house, which belonged to the school. When I first met Walter May in 1910, he was completely blind. I do not know how long they had been married when Walter lost his sight, but I think they must have had two or three of their children. Late in their lives they moved to Sydney and Margaret herself lost her sight before she died. Her husband predeceased her at a date unknown to me. Margaret was without sight, a capable and courageous woman. They had four sons and two daughters, all of whom were well educated and made good in their professions. It must have been a severe struggle’ and the children must have cooperated admirably to lay the foundations of their future progress in this little country school I think it probably that Margaret’s brother, Leonard, assisted them financially, but I do not know. However, I do not think it possible that tertiary education could have been provided on the salary paid by the school. The children themselves must have cooperated admirably.
Descendants of Walter and Margaret (nee Dodds) MAY
1. Sydney L May born in 1882 16252/1882 at Vegetable Creek - 1st son — made music his profession and attained a status of some importance in these circles.
2. Reginald G May born in 1885 34124/1885 at Millfield – 2nd son — became an Agricultural Scientist and managed experimental farms owned by the Government for many years. Reginald May married Daisy E Hunt in 1914 2875/1914 at Burwood.
3. Hubert W May born in 1887 33174/1887 at Patrick’s Plain 3rd son — graduated in mechanical engineering. Hubert married Beatrice A James in 1910 7481/1910 at Sydney. It appears Hubert remarried or had a son named Hubert Walter who married Elizabeth Diana in 1937 4228/1937 at Waverly.
4. Leonard May born in 1890 31507/1890 at Singleton – 4th son — graduated in Medicine.
5. Beatrice M May born in 1892 32444/1892 at Singleton – 1st daughter — became a trained nurse. Beatrice died in 1968.
6. Dorothy W May born in 1894 30724/1894 at Singleton – 2nd daughter — became a trained nurse. Dorothy married Alexander L Bull in 1927 13256/1927 at Manly.

All are now dead. The last, the elder daughter, who never married, was the one I knew best, and she died in July 1968, after a long period of failing health. I believe that there are some descendants of the sons, but I do not know anything about them. The only one I know is a daughter of the 2nd daughter mentioned above.
John Dodds died at his home at Balmain, a Sydney suburb, on 20th August 1874, aged 84 years. He was ill for 10 days and the cause of death was a strangulated hernia. His wife, Mary, died at Balmain on 29th March 1881, at the age of 60, They are both interned in the church yard of St. Jude’s Church at Randwick, a suburb of Sydney. I have not been able to locate the site of the graves, despite several searches of all the visible inscriptions on the head stones. Some of the stones have fallen face downwards and more than human strength is required to lift them. I think it probably that one of the fallen stones belongs to the Dodds grave, The Churchyard has been closed to anymore burials for many years and is rather neglected. My inquiries have failed to disclose the existence of any burial plant, but both John’s and Mary’s burials are shown in the Sexton’s record book and also one of Henry Dodds’ infant children. The Sextons book does not mention the site in the churchyard. John Dodds does not appear to have left any estate. I believe that he was the beneficiary of a life interest from the estate of one of his uncles.
This completes my history of the Dodds family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions