Search for content in message boards

Gibbs in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

Gibbs in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

Posted: 4 Apr 2008 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Researching Gib,Gibb, Gibbs in Cumberland, Lancaster and Westmoreland Co., PA pre Rev. War. Then to Logan/Christian Co., KY prior to 1800. Anyone else working on this Gibbs line??

Re: Gibbs in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

Posted: 4 Jul 2009 4:53AM GMT
Surnames: Gibbs, Ames, Howland,
Hello,

I am not sure I can help, but the farthest back I can trace my Gibbs line is to Robert Gibbs. He was supposedly born in 1818 in Pennsylvania according to a few sources-Census'. He actually moved to Ohio for a bit and married Marian Ames, then went back to Pittsburgh, PA to live (atleast for the 1850 census). Then he ended up moving to MI, where he lived out his life. I can't seem to get any further than that. I have no idea who is father is...I have been stuck for 7 years!

Not sure if that helped, but maybe somewhere down the line, we will connect or have more info for each other...

All the best,

Jessica Gibbs

Posted: 4 Jul 2009 12:33PM GMT
Surnames: Gibbs
Hi Jessica,

I can't help with your Robert, but strongly suggest the Gibbs DNA project. You will likely find matches who may be able to help with your tree...

Write me off-list if you want more info (I'm no expert but have used this resource on several of my lines and had some great luck!)

Cyndi in Baltimore
pathoscafe@aol.com
(My Gibbs are CT to NY to Lawrenceburg, TN)

Posted: 5 Jul 2009 6:04PM GMT
Hi Jessica,

Read your post. Do you know where in Ohio and in Michigan your Robert Gibbs lived?

While I don't have a Robert in my database which matches yours, I have done lots of work chasing Gibbs in all three of these States...

My Great-great-great Grandfather Joshua relocated the younger members of his family to Armstrong Co., PA... Later a couple of his children relocated to Ohio and then on into Michigan...

I too concur about the DNA project, it might help you breakdown the Brickwall by knowing which line (Branch) your Gibbs descended from. My DNA is part of a Massachusetts Bay Colony clade, which is different from the Giles Gibbs of CT.

Hope this helps
David C. Gibbs

Posted: 5 Jul 2009 6:12PM GMT
Hi David! We've connected before. So far I am still stuck. I went to Michigan with a found "cousin" that lives in Utah a couple years ago. We atleast got to visit the graves and went to the local libraries to comb through the old newspapers. I will have to do the trip again though. A week wasn't enough!
I think my Robert was born in Washington County, PA in 1818. He then was married on Jan 1, 1940 on Holmes County, OH. In the 1840 Census he was living in Coshocton, Tiverton, OH? Then he moved to Pittsburgh, PA in 1850, then to Sebewa, Ionia, MI in 1860. He became an "eclectic physician" or a quack doctor sometime after he left his wife in 1860. He remarried by 1870 and was living a couple counties over and had a new younger wife and 2 children. He then moved back to Sebewa, Ionia, MI alone where he died at one of his son's homes. According to his obit, he was quite deranged and the locals called him "Doc". Pretty funny finding that information finally. However he was quite the elusive one. It feels like he ran away from home and started his own life. Not sure if he was set up to get married. There were no other Gibbs' around Holmes County in 1840 or in Coshocton, Tiverton where I found him in the census at that time...
My birthday is in Sept and I'm asking my dad to take the DNA test for the Gibbs project. He's the only male Gibbs of my line other than a man in Michigan named Byron Gibbs who may be deceased...He was 90 a couple years ago when I met him on my trip to Michigan...

Thanks again for your help!
Jessica

Posted: 1 May 2011 3:27AM GMT
Surnames: Gibb, Gibbs
Yes, I am researching them. May have finally figured some of the Henry stuff . . . but not sure yet.

Posted: 1 May 2011 3:27AM GMT
Surnames: Gibb, Gibbs
Yes, I am researching them. May have finally figured some of the Henry stuff . . . but not sure yet.

Posted: 20 May 2011 7:32PM GMT
I researching the ancestry of James Fulton (b 1763, d 1823 Butler Co. Pa), I found the following deed info:
====================================================
http://www.usgwarchives.net/pa/pafiles.htm

Page 212
Deed Book S, Page 88
Dated Jany 19, 1808 Samuel Thompson & Elizabeth
Thompson his wife, late Elizabeth Gibb of North Huntingdon Tp,
Westmoreland Co Pa said Elizabeth being daughter of Samuel Gibb of
Hopewell Tp, Cumberland Co Pa Decd, Ack receipt of 30 from Hugh Gibb
Recorded Feby 20, 1808
[Margin note reads:] July 31, 1921 this is evidently the son of
Sam'l Thompson bro of G.G. father See Page 212 of Book No 4 JVT.
==========================================================
Several family histories indicate that Rev. Samuel Finley was a brother of Agnes Fulton nee Thompson. (See Wikipedia article on Rev. Samuel Finley, 5th Pres of what was to become Princeton Univ, and foster father of James Rush, signer of Decl. of Ind.

I am very curious if there is any connection between this Samuel Gibb, and the Gibbs of Yale Univ. Could it be that both families of preachers and chemists are related??

(There are claims from 1880's that James Fulton was a cousin of the inventor Robert Fulton, but I have not been able to verify these claims).

Regards,
Duane Carter

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 4:05PM GMT
Yes, this is my line. My line is Eliza Gibbs - Smith Gibbs,- John Gibbs - Thomas Gibbs - and Robert Gibbs. They were in Muhlenberg co KY, Logan co Ky amelia Co Va and Westmoreland Co PA.

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 4:50PM GMT
Hello Anita, I think we may have corresponded in the past, your name sounds familiar. Email me at stephie21+charter.net. Look forward to hearing from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic