Search for content in message boards

William A. Wells

William A. Wells

Rick Satterwhite (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2002 1:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wells
Looking for information on William A. Wells, born in Georgia approximately 1811 according to census information. Married Louisa Barron October 8, 1828 in Fayette Co., GA. Had the following children: Columbus Wells (born 1830), John Wells (born 1834), Joseph L. Wells (born abt. 1837), James Lloyd Wells (May 20, 1839 - February 4, 1885), Salina Wells (born abt. 1844), Archibald C. Wells (February 29, 1848 - October 24, 1929), and Samuel G. Wells (born abt. 1854). William A. Wells and family were living in Perry County, AL, in 1840, Meriwether County, GA, in 1850, Macon County, AL, in 1870. Don't know where they were in 1860. I suspect that William A. Wells may have been related to William Wells (born abt. 1790) and Nancy Sams. Four children of William Wells (the elder) were married in Perry County, AL, in the 1830's: Joseph S. Wells, Salina (Selinda?) D. Wells, Walker T. Brockman Wells, and Samuel Lumpkin Wells. Another piece of circumstantial information is that James Lloyd Wells (my gg-grandfather) had a daughter Lena Sam Wells (my g-grandmother). We always knew her as Lena, but in the 1870 census she is listed as Salina, which may be her correct name. It was common practice in those days to name children after grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. Never knew where the Sam came from - maybe from the Sams family.

Rick Satterwhite

Re: William A. Wells

Posted: 19 Feb 2002 8:09PM GMT
Hi Rick,

I think we have communicated before but I have now found that we are looking for the same William Aaron Wells. Our information differs a little bit but most everything is the same. Here is what I have:

Wm. Aaron Wells b. 1804 d. 1896 bu. near Tallassee, Alabama married (1829)
Louisa Head b. 1816 Notasulga, Alabama d. 26 Dec 1894
William was an orphan and was reared at Warm Springs, Georgia. Served in the Confederate Army (CSA) together with 3 or 4 of his sons. Served in CSA Co. A 12th GA.

Children of W.A. Wells and Louisa Head
Columbus Wells b. 1830

John Brockman Wells (my line) b. 28 Jun 1834 d, 9 Aug 1896 bu Poplar Springs, Chilton county
m. Louisa Bertha Phillips b. 9 Jun 1836 d 26 Dec 1894 bu Poplar Springs

Joseph Little Berry Wells b. 21 Mar 1837 d. 15 May 1913
m. Permelia Caroline Stanfield b. 21 Feb 1838 d, 27 Feb 1915

James (Jim) L. Wells b. 20 May 1839 d. 4 Feb 1885
m. Martha Lucious Unknown b. 16 Oct 1842 d. 26 Jun 1901

Selina (Aunt Sis) Wells b. 1844 bu at or near Clanton
m. Harvey Johnson

Archibald Campbell (Dock) Wells b. 29 Feb 1847 d. 24 Oct 1924
m. Margaret Erland Todd b. 10 May 1849 d. 6 Feb 1918

Samuel Wells b. 1854

This information was gathered by my dad's first cousin and his wife. They did not have a computer so everything was written on family group sheets. They were older when they traced all of this and they traveled to cemeteries and called family members on the phone. Your information about the possibility of the parents of W.A. Wells could be correct because one of his children was John BROCKMAN. I would love to hear from you and compare notes. Please e-mail me at leisumar@yahoo.com

Leia

Rick Satterwhite (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2002 10:39PM GMT
Surnames: Wells, Satterwhite, Barron, Lucius, Steele, Meredith
Hi Leia,

We have indeed communicated before. You asked me to get copies of some death certificates for you in a post in another forum. I was successful on 2 of 3 names, but I'll respond to that in a separate correspondence. I want to respond concerning William A. Wells in this forum in the hopes that someone else besides you and me has an interest.

I believe that William A. Wells was born in the 1811-1812 time frame instead of 1804. Although he was listed as being 46 years old in the 1850 census, the 1870 census has him at 59 and the 1880 census has him at 68. Just a hunch, but I think the last 2 are correct. Have not found him in the 1860 census. I believe you are probably correct on his middle name being Aaron. On his youngest son Samuel's death certificate, Aaron Wells is listed as his father. I once thought that Archibald might be his middle name since he had a son named Archibald. On the death certificate, Samuel's mother is listed as Laura Barron. That isn't correct. Her name from all I can gather was Louisa Barron. All census information lists her as Louisa. I also have a copy of a Fayette County, GA, marriage certificate for William A. Wells and Louisa Barron, which has them being married by James Head, M. G., on October 8, 1828. They would have been very young, William about 16-17, and Louisa about 12. I believe you are correct about her being born in about 1816. James Head, by the way, was the Rev. James L. Head, the "L" probably standing for Lloyd, who would have been Louisa's grandfather. Her parents were likely John Barron and Polly W. Head. Head researchers have told me that Polly Head was married to a John Barron. I have found a John Barron living in Fayette County, GA, at the time that James and Louisa were married.

As for James' and Louisa's children:

I too have John B. Wells married to Louisa B. Phillips. Didn't know his middle name was Brockman and hers was Bertha, so thanks for that.

I didn't know that Joseph L. Wells was Joseph Little Berry Wells, but you are correct on that. I had found an L. B. Wells married to a P. C. Wells living in Chilton County during the 1880 census. A. C. (Archibald Campbell) and J. L. (my gg-grandfather, James Lloyd) were living close by. I couldn't figure out who L. B. Wells was until I received your post. I have record of Joseph L. Wells marrying Permelia Caroline Stanfield on December 17, 1856, in Muscogee County, GA. With any luck, I'll have a copy of the actual certificate next week.

As I mentioned, James Lloyd Wells was my gg-grandfather. He married Martha Lucius (her last name) on August 30, 1859, in Muscogee County, GA. I have a copy of their marriage certificate. There is an interesting mystery concerning James. His tombstone has the date of his death as February 4, 1885. Yet I found James, Martha, and their two youngest children, Thomas and Bessie, listed in the 1900 Baldwin County, AL, census. Several of their older children and families were living near by. Haven't sorted that one out yet.

There is a Salina Adaline Wells who married David J. Britt in Muscogee Co., GA, on January 26, 1858. I suspect that this might be William's daughter, Salina. I have found David J. Britt in census info, married to Salina who's age would put her birth year at about 1844. Maybe not the same Salina, but it could be. You have her being married to Harvey Johnson. Could be that she was married more that once.

I have Archibald Campbell Wells (Uncle Dock), born February 29, 1848, died, October 24, 1929. He was married to Margaret Eiland Todd, born May 10, 1849, died February 15, 1918, according to her death certificate. I should have a copy of Dock's death certificate next week. Dock and Margaret were married in Macon County, AL, on January 8, 1868.

I have a copy of Samuel G. Wells' death certificate. He died in Montgomery, Alabama on December 2, 1826. His date of birth was not listed, but his age was given as 60. Don't know if that is correct or not. Don't have alot on him as yet.

Lastly, Columbus Wells, born about 1830. I have very little on him. However, there was a William C. Wells who married Mary E. Beers on February 24, 1857, in Muscogee County, GA. I should have a copy of this marriage certificate next week. Don't know if this is the same person or not, but it could be. I base this solely on the fact that several of William's other children were married in Muscogee County in the late 1850's. Just a hunch, but I've been wrong before!

Now, as to William A. Wells' relationship to William Wells (born abt 1790) and Nancy Sams. The commonality of so many of the names of the children of William and Nancy Sams Wells to those of William A. and Louisa Wells may just be coincidental. However, I believe that they are related in some way. I have not found anything linking the two Williams' together. All the family trees for William Wells and Nancy Sams list only the four children I mentioned in my original post. How did your dad's cousin and his wife come to the conclusion that William A. Wells was an orphan?

You mentioned that William A. was buried near Tallassee, Alabama. Do you know exactly where?

Rick Satterwhite
Lovejoy, Georgia

Posted: 24 Feb 2002 1:53AM GMT
I am unable to verify that William A. Wells was an orphan. My cousins who compiled this information are now dead. I copied their handwritten and typed information. It only says that he is buried near Tallassee, AL and now I am trying to find out where. There is always a great possibility for error so please correct anything that anyone can certainly tell is wrong.

Leia
leisumar@yahoo.com

susan wells (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2002 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: Wm Aaron Wells
Thanks Leia, I am going to talk to some relatives around here in clanton to see if someone has any records and such. Talk to you soon

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Wells, Young, Gayle
Do you have any information about James Wells who was in Perry County, Alabama? His daughter Mary married William Huey Young. Her mother's maiden name was Gayle. These families were all in Perry County, Alabama.

Re: William Hughey Young and Mary Wells d/o James - Perry Co., AL

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 2:44AM GMT
without a date it is pretty hard to check. However, I searched for Hughey and he was on the 1910 census in Severe, Perry Co., AL with his parents ... age 1907 ... however, I did not find Mary or James WELLS in the area.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: Young, Cosbey, Wells, Gayle
You are right--I should have added a date!
Williiam Huey Young was the son of Ephraim A and Virginia Cosbey Young. He was born 1 Sept 1845. He married Mary Joyce Wells 17 December 1874. She is the daughter of James Monroe Wells and Mary Tabitha Gayle.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 6:19PM GMT
Ahh .. that works. Since you know the parents ... what are you looking for?

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 7:51PM GMT
Their grandparents and where the family lived before coming to Alabama.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions