Search for content in message boards

Looking to trace family of/information on Hugh Baird (b:1872, Donegal, Ireland)

Looking to trace family of/information on Hugh Baird (b:1872, Donegal, Ireland)

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 9:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jul 2013 12:54PM GMT
Surnames: Baird, McGarvey, Tinney, McFadden, Doten
Hi there

I'm trying to connect with any family members of Hugh Baird, a labourer born in Donegal, Ireland on Feb 10th 1872. His parents were Henry Baird and Margaret McGarvey.

He was married to my 2nd Great Grandmother Hannah Tinney (McFadden) after her 1st husband died. They got married and ran a pub in Raphoe (Donegal, Ireland) in 1905 (married March 7th).

The reason I'm trying to connect is to complete a story. Story goes that Hugh left Hannah for the USA at some point after they were married and she didn't hear from him again. There are lots of Hugh Baird's on the passenger lists so, I'm not sure which one is the right one (if any - maybe he never went to the USA, who knows).

Just trying to join the dots really. All information welcome!

Thanks
Jo

Update: since original post, I have found out that Hugh went to Canada (Toronto) and married there (Hattie Maud Doten). sadly Hatty died 4 months after they married and I have lost Hugh once more (can't find any further records).

Therfore am posting this thread on the Canada forum also.in case anyone there recognises him. Thanks in advance!

Re: Looking to trace family of/information on Hugh Baird (b:1872, Donegal, Ireland)

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 10:50AM GMT
Jo, You can find this marriage at familysearch.org.

Ontario Marriages, 1869-1927

Hugh Baird
Estimated Birth Year-1874
Age-38
Father's Name-Henry Baird
Mother's Name-Margaret Mcgarvey
Spouse's Name-Hattie Maude Doten
Est. Birth Year-1881
Age-31
Father's Name-Oran Doten
Mother's Name-Emma Beaumont
Marriage Date-Oct. 19, 1912-Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada

Good luck in your search. Kathryn

Re: Looking to trace family of/information on Hugh Baird (b:1872, Donegal, Ireland)

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 11:05AM GMT
Thank you Kathryn.

This is really helpful,

Jo

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 6:16PM GMT
Try having a look at the 1901 Irish census, Both 1901 and 1911 are available free, this may give you further details of other family members.
Sile

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 9:11AM GMT
Thanks for the tip!

I will definitely take a look

Jo

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 9:36AM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2013 9:37AM GMT
Had a quick look under 'Browse census' there is a William Tinny married to Hannah with Catherine McFadden working in their pub, may be worth a browse for Raphoe Town.
Baird's - just 2 families for this address.

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 9:54AM GMT
Wow! Thanks!

Hannah was my grandmother. After William died, she married Hugh Baird.

What site are you using to see the census?

Thanks
Jo

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 5:41PM GMT
Hi Jo
go to Irish census 1901 or 1911, luckily both freely available. I just had a quick browse and found some of your family. www.census.nationalarchives.ie select browse by county
Sile

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 7:56AM GMT
Thank you Sile,

I have also managed to find some family info on this website, with your help!

Take care
Jo

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 9:15AM GMT
Your very welcome
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions