Search for content in message boards

William Smoot (1597-1670); VA & MD

William Smoot (1597-1670); VA & MD

Posted: 15 Jun 2010 1:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SMOOT, SMOOTE, SMOOTS, SMUTE
In Harry Wright Newman's book, "The Smoots of Maryland and Virginia", he states that immigrant William Smute was a member of the Boatwright Guild, & that he came to Virginia following an agreement he made in London with Colonel Thomas Burbage.

Part of this info is verified by a 1653 lawsuit (MD State Archives, Judicial & Testamentary Business of the Provincial Court, 1649-1657; Vol 10, pg 323). I am searching for addition proof that he was a member of the Boatwright Guild & his agreement with Burbage was transacted in London.

Newman also states that William declared his age in 1653 as 56; & in 1662 as 65. I am searching for the documentation to prove these statements.

Any & all assistance appreciated.

Sharon Kleinstuber
Blackwood, NJ
snkgenealogy@hotmail.com

Re: William Smoot (1597-1670); VA & MD

Posted: 15 Jun 2010 9:52PM GMT
Gust SKORDAS' Early Settlers of MD (from land records):

ABH:1,41. William SMOOTE immigrated in 1646 with wife and two [?] ch. [2:210 / 2:617].
ABH:230. William SMOOTE immigrated by 1646 with wf. Grace and ch. Ales, Ann, Elizabeth, Richard, & Thomas. Grace had m1. WOOD. ABH:230 also has Elizabeth WOOD, dau/o Grace, wf/o Wm. SMOOTE; also servant Ann WOODNAT.
7:577: William SMOOTE imm. by 1665 with Grace & Alice SMOOTE.

--Sorry about the discrepancies. Those are the entries. Google "Charles County, Maryland" +smoot +hammett for a detailed discussion of the land patents, etc.

Henry C. PEDEN's Maryland Deponents:
William SMOOT, Charles Co., deposed in 1661, aged 63 [MD Archives LIII, 149].
William SMOOTE, no age, in 1648, had sold a pinnace to Geoffrey POWER of Virginia [MD Archives 4:432].
William SMOOTE, carpenter, 65 in 1662 [Testamentary Proceedings, ID 28].

--not my family

Posted: 16 Jun 2010 5:48AM GMT
Thank you very much! I did have some of the documentation & sources you included, but some were new to me. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, especially since it is not your family line.

Posted: 16 Jun 2010 1:21PM GMT
You're welcome. I'm glad to see somebody verifying information. :-)

Re: William Smoot (1597-1670); VA & MD - I'm Descended Too!

Posted: 9 Aug 2010 3:48PM GMT
Hi,

I'm also a descendant of William Smute/Smoot and I'm also looking for any info about his trip from England to America. Specifically which ship he transported on? He is reported to have gotten off in Virginia at Old Point Comfort which is now the Fort Monroe area of which ironically I live in the same area. I would love to be able to find out more info about his life in England or wherever he is originally from. He is thought to be originally from Holland I believe? I appreciate the info that is already been found and any addtional info will be appreciated. Thanks you, Nora

Posted: 12 Aug 2010 4:19AM GMT
Happy to send you my chart for William - just let me know the email address where you want it sent.

Posted: 13 Aug 2010 2:22PM GMT
Thanks, I'd appreciate any info. My email is wheely5@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Nora

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 2:49PM GMT
Hi,

I also descend from William Smoot. So far I have very little information on the Smoot line. I believe his daughter, Alice, married John Chinn. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to anyone willing to share!

Bonnie
bonsnow@aol.com

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 4:45PM GMT
Hi Bonnie, nice to meet you. I'd like to invite you to join the Facebook group I created for the Descendants of William Smoot/Smute. You should be able to request to join the group at this link http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=1404620463... . You will need to join Facebook first though which is free to access the page though. We have over 40 members in the group that are descended from William Smoot/Smute with lots of info and pictures. I look forward to seeing you there.

Nora
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions