Search for content in message boards

BREWER family, Ontario, Canada > USA

BREWER family, Ontario, Canada > USA

Marg (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2004 2:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Searching for information on descendants of John BREWER, b.1821 in Quebec, d.1913 in Seattle, WASH. First wife Elizabeth ATKINSON with children George, William, Mary, Albert, Charles; second wife Monica JULIEN with children Lorenzo (Larry), Joseph Alexander, Norman, Frederick, Elizabeth (Exey), Lovina (Lina), Thomas, Robert, Wilbert and Mary. Wife Monica died in 1938 in Seattle, WASH. The family emigrated to the USA around 1903 and scattered from Wisconsin to Washington State. Any connections?
Marg

Re: BREWER family, Ontario, Canada > USA

cindylou (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2006 4:29PM GMT
Hi Marg, Would you have George Lewis Brewer who married Emma Campbell. They were from Buckingham, Quebec. George's father was Jacob Brewer. I am looking for the Grandchildren of George and Emma. Anything would help. Thank you in advance Cindy-lou

Marg (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2006 3:30AM GMT
Do you have any dates for your BREWERs? I have a Jacob BREWER, b. about 1800. His wife was Lovina. One of his children was John (b. 1821), my gr-grandfather. I only know of 2 females, though there could have been another male. Among John's 14 children (2 wives) there was a George, but George's wife was Alice FRENCH. Jacob and family did live in Quebec for a while, but I don't know where.
Any help?
Marg

Posted: 14 Feb 2007 3:19PM GMT
Surnames: Brewer, Smith, and Timmins
George L. Brewer, b. Dec 19, 1859 in the Buckingham, Labelle, Quebec (1901 census) has a son Windell B. Brewer, b. Sept 8, 1899. In 1983 he wrote to me about my research on New Brunswick Brewers. We couldn't make any connection but I kept his letter. His address was Wendall B. Brewer, 217 Way Ave., Timmins, Ontario. In the letter he says my grandfather- Jacob Brewer (1822-82) owned a farm on the Lievre River - near Buckingham Que. where I was born in 1899. On a sheet that he attached to the letter he states: "Chauncie, Jacob, and John were sons of Philander Brewer and Alvina Smith, the youngest daughter of an Englishman named Rodney Smith. Chauncie Brewer married Jane Timmins and seven of their children became American citizens". The document says that he is trying to find descendants of Chauncie Brewer whose farm near Buckingham Que. was close to my grandfather's farm on the Lievre.
I hope this is of help to your research.
I am working with several researchers on Jeremiah Brewer who was in Vermont. I would be interested in knowing what branch of the Brewers these families tie into. I was unable to find any Philander Brewer and no Chauncey Brewer that seemed promising.

Posted: 25 Nov 2009 2:47AM GMT
Surnames: Brewer, Smith, Mills, Bigelow, Timmins, Latchie, Warwick, Stayner,
There are kernels of truth throughout this letter of Wendell Brewer of Timmins, but... that letter is also VERY confused and not very correct in lots of places.

So treat with care!!

As a longtime researcher, these are people with whom I am very familiar. Alvina was "Lavinia" Smith (called "Nina" on her marriage record!!). She seems to have had different versions of her name at different point of her colorful life. I'd like to have known her!
She was the daughter of the Vermont family of James & Betsey (Mills) Smith [Betsey was Vermont-born and James, of Ulster-Scot ancestry, was New Hampshire-born]. The Rodney Smith who Wendell thought was her father was, in fact, Lavinia's baby brother. How did Wendell get it SO wrong? Simple. Wendell was born in 1899 (the year Lavinia died); Rodney had died, as an old man, 9 years before and was just a story to Wendell. So Wendell assumed he must have been old enough to be Lavinia's father, but he sure was not!! Lavinia's father was born before 1760, something Wendell would never have known. And Lavinia was nearly a teen when Rodney was born. The family had moved to Quebec from Vermont, first to Chatham Twp, Argenteuil County where in 22 years they built a good farm in wht had been massive forest. Out of it they were 'cheated' out of by a man named Stayner ("cheated" is 'my take' on the court case!) and this dear older couple were forced to move further west along the Ottawa River, about 2-3 miles north of the center of what would one day be the town of Buckingham, to virgin forest to start all over from scratch! Lavinia's father, James Smith, was about 70. His sons James Jr., William, Rodney and John now bore the brunt of the sweat-equity. The massive squared timber house of James Jr. that I saw recently is fantastic.
Chauncie (Chaucny/Chancy) DID marry Mary Jane Timmins of the family for whom his hometown was named. His farm still stands and is in lovely condition and lived in as a holiday home by descendants of Lavinia from her third Donaldson marriage — her Brewer husband died at 46 in 1825. InLavinia had a lot more living to reach 104!
Now to the identity of her first Brewer husband. She did married JACOB Brewer — called Jack and Jake. In the Chatham Twp 14 Mar 1815 marriage record, it was "Jack" who married "Nina." The name "Philander" might have been a middle name of Jacob. I think that Philander was another Brewer, perhaps a brother or cousin of Jacob adn it's his name Wendell remembered.
Wendell as a result. We KNOW he was Jacob (maybe Jacob Philander). So exaclty who Philander was will get sorted out one of these days by one or other of us researchers.
I do know there's an enticing Chatham Twp 1834 marriage record for a Philander Brewer and Christian Lechy (I found another record saying her surname was "Latchie/Lachy").
I think the widowed Christiana/Christy Ann is the 91-year old lady living, in the 1891 Census record, with the family of a grandson of James & Betsey Smith, via their daughter Laurene who married Chester Bigelow — Mills & Elizabeth (Warwick) Bigelow.

Mills & Elizabeth (marr. 1845) had moved east of Buckingham, in fact, back Chatham Twp, Argenteuil and oh! irony of ironies, they seem to have been in the Staynerville area from whence Mills grandparents had been forced by court order to leave, much against their will, over 60 years before!
Genealogy is above all about the stories—and oh this cluster of families Brewer, Smith, Bigelow and a few others... makes the stuff of movies.
This began as warning about assuming the accuracy of that old Wendell Brewer letter; instead I've written an epistle. Time to stop.

Posted: 4 Sep 2010 3:42PM GMT
Oh my!!! I'm just new on here-Chancey Brewer was my great great grandfather....wow, what a lot of history I've stumbled upon!

I've been focusing on that side of my history because it's the side I know more about.

Anything else you might know about this line is certainly helpful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic