Search for content in message boards

Timothy Bowler

Timothy Bowler

Posted: 6 Sep 2010 4:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
After any information on Timothy Bowler born in Kerry, Ireland. Had a nephew that served in World War 2. He was an American and we think his name was Francis. Francis use to visit his relations in Farranfore, Ireland during the war.

Kerry

Re: Timothy Bowler

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 11:05PM GMT
did the Timothy Bowler you reference live in Co Kerry? I ask because that's my grandfather's name and he emigrated from Kerry to Boston MA but to my knowledge never returned to Ireland...perhaps the two were cousins

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 10:54AM GMT
HI,
Yes, Timothy was from Co, Kerry. He married a Emily Murphy. He did go over to USA around 1907 but came back after about a month. He then lived in England. Do you have a Francis Bowler or any other Bowlers that were in the second world war in your family tree?

Kerry

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 10:54AM GMT
HI,
Yes, Timothy was from Co, Kerry. He married a Emily Murphy. He did go over to USA around 1907 but came back after about a month. He then lived in England. Do you have a Francis Bowler or any other Bowlers that were in the second world war in your family tree?

Kerry

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 3:00PM GMT
my grandfather, Timothy, remained in America, living in Massachusetts...he married Margaret Moran and had 4 children, one of whom was my father, Frederic Thomas Bowler,born in 1907. My uncle Charles Dennis Bowler, born in 1905, was a lieutenant in the US Army during WW2 and served in Europe somewhere.
Both grandparents died when my father was a child and so there's not a lot of information to be had...I don't recall my dad or aunts talking about 'cousins' but that might have been selective hearing on my part.
My parents went to Ireland a few times, my maternal grandfather (John Murphy)came from Kerry and I recall my dad mentioning being related to Bowler twins who ran a garage in Killarney.
Given the name Timothy, common as it was, I wonder if there was a kinship..funny that he married a Murphy...so did my dad.

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 5:30AM GMT
I have come across somewhere about a Bowler family owing a garage in Killarney. My Bowler family came from Killarney too. Honora and Kate which was Timothy sisters had a cafe in Killarney. Their cousins from USA visited them during WW2 apparently. I do not think that I am related to the Bowler family who owned the garage but I am still trying to connect them. Honora, Kate and Timothy father was also named Timothy and he married Mary Moriarty but remained in Killarney.

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 3:16PM GMT
because of the sheer number of Timothy's and the fact that most children, by custom, were named after grandparents or favorite uncles etc I imagine somewhere along the line they're all connected to the original Timothy. add that they're all from Kerry and the Killarney area and it's almost a given. there are Hannah's on my Murphy and Houlihan side but none that I know of on Bowler.

at present there's an English author with the same name who wasn't interested in connections or connecting with me to research roots...you might have better luck, being aware of an actual English line..he's got a website.

my father researched the surname at Trinity College and discovered it was originally a Norman name, arriving in the 1200s, and included a bishop in the early days.
as I said, both grandparents died when my father was 11 and 13 so there's not much information I can offer..I would like to know more but have no resources...

keep in touch and if I can help or add anything, let me know....btw, a bunch of my Murphy cousins from Kilquane, Kerry are scattered around Australia...

Posted: 1 Dec 2010 7:06PM GMT
you are correct he was a francis but went by timothy. he was my grandpa but he died before I was born. He actually died when my father was about two years old. he was a mail man before he died and he passed away from tb.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions