Search for content in message boards

Abandonded children in Zuid Holland early 1800s

Abandonded children in Zuid Holland early 1800s

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 10:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
While researching some of my husband's Dutch ancestry, I came across a couple of families that had many children. Some of those children were listed as abandoned and died within the year.

At first I thought that the father or both parents had abandoned them, but with further study noticed that the couple continued to have children, about every other year, and abandoned many of them. I was horrified.

Is there an explanation as to the cultural attitude that allowed this? Were the parents too poor to feed them? Who then cared for (or attempted to care for) the abandoned children? Or were they left to die?

Thank you for any historical insight you may share!

Re: Abandonded children in Zuid Holland early 1800s

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 11:17AM GMT
You made an assumptiom that is incorrect. After the text abandoded child is a N and this means No. This will be done differently in the new program that will start later this year.It caused lots of confusion.

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 11:24AM GMT
Thank you so much! I am relieved. :)

Posted: 17 Aug 2011 10:12PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2011 10:15PM GMT
Surnames: SUNNER - BISBEN
We have just discovered that our great grandfather was abandoned in Ijsselmonde Rotterdam - Zuid Holland on the day he was born in 1836. His name was WILLIAM SUNNER. I am trying to trace what happened to him. Where he was brought up. Who cared for him. He is listed on the 1911 census as living in Dublin/Ireland with his wife Mary Sunner. He listed his occupation as a Boilermaker/Ship Builder. He was in his early 70s. However we dont know if he continued to live in Holland - he may have gone to live in the Uk. He wasnt listed on the 1901 census in Dublin.

His parents names were JAMES SUNNER and mother was listed as ELIZABETH BISBEN. William was listed on the birth cert as Abandoned.

Posted: 17 Aug 2011 10:19PM GMT
Have just checked the record and see that there is a N after Abandoned child. Im glad to have had that mystery cleared up.

We wondered how he retained his surname if he had been anandoned. That explains it!!

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 7:43AM GMT
Surnames: sunner/sunners/bispham
Hi Valerie,

I think I know your name through Abbey Williams. Both Thomas Sunners and James Sunner were born to Esther Foulkes and both were my great grandfathers. James daughter Annie married Thomas's first born son William Thomas (known to the family as 'Fireworks"). It is Australia after all!!!
I have given detail and photos to Abbey for the family tree and have the family back to John Sunner, father of Thomas,James and Happy Ned and to his father. Elizabeth Bisphamfirst wife of James never made it to Australia and died in London but Sarah Hosford, his second wife came out under Elizabeth's name oddly (perhaps to do with passports). This caused a lot of prolonged searching over the years!

Amazing to think they listd William as abandoned on birth certificate and would be fascinated to hear what is history was if you have found out. It seems so cruel and I believe Elizabeth to have been a Quaker. I think James was a peripatic soul who seemed to move where the spirit took him. All the Sunners seemed to be boiler makers and ship builders. Please let me know if you have found more on William. I do have the newspaper article which I believe you provided on his rather hothead son's drowning. Hot headedness I think is a very strong gene for our Sunners line anyway.

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 7:51AM GMT
Surnames: william sunner
I have just read down and see that the N applied to William. I am relieved to see it....it would seem so awful to have gone on and had all the other children and left William. My Annie Outridge (my great grandmother was the next child). Have a lovely story of James in Trieste where I think if memory serves the next three children were born....not eveyone can aspire to a child called Napoleon Edward Streudolph. But when did William part from the family...perhaps when he found his wife to be and her ties to Ireland were too strong to let her emigrate.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions