Search for content in message boards

USS ASTORIA, USS NEVILLE, USS SOLACE, USS VESTAL 1941-1945

USS ASTORIA, USS NEVILLE, USS SOLACE, USS VESTAL 1941-1945

Posted: 10 Mar 2008 3:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Walker
My grandfather served in WWII in the Navy on these ships. His name was Mansfield Lynn Walker, nicknames Sonny, Johnny or Manny and joined when he was 16. He was a cook and and duties included machine guns. He passed the year before I was born. If anyone has any type of stories or memories of him I would love to hear them. I am slowly putting together our family history and have researched details but would like some personal stories if any are possible. Can contact me directly at: dburgerfamily@bresnan.net. My name is Bridgette, put WW2 as Subject so I don't delete. Thank-you so much.

Re: USS ASTORIA, USS NEVILLE, USS SOLACE, USS VESTAL 1941-1945

Posted: 9 Aug 2009 8:03PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2009 8:36PM GMT
My grandfather served on the USS Neville and spoke of a cook who saved their tails on numerous occasions from incoming "Jap planes." He said thst the cook would kick off the "radar" on the gun and site in the planes. Don't know if this was your grandfather. I wished Grandpa was still around so I could ask him. I'm sure you have pulled up photos and history of the Neville on the Internet. If not, just put "USS Neville" into Google. Good of you to honor your Grandfather's memory.

Re: USS ASTORIA, USS NEVILLE, USS SOLACE, USS VESTAL 1941-1945

Posted: 16 Aug 2009 12:21AM GMT
http://www.navymemorial.org/
I got some information about my Uncle Lt. Richard Frank Roos who served in WWII on this site. It gave his profile after I input the name of his ship/service station.I read that a lot of the records were lost in a fire in the 1970s.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions