Search for content in message boards

Jesse Sickles

Jesse Sickles

Posted: 11 Oct 2004 8:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Nov 2006 10:59PM GMT
I have Jesse Sickles b- Sep.5,1833 in N.J.,married Matilda ?, b-1839, d- Apr6,1887. On Jesse's death cert. it list his parents as Jacob Sickles and Rachel Masters. Does anyone know if this is the same Jacob Sickles who married Elizabeth Smith? What is Matilda's maiden name?. Jesse and Matilda had a son, Daniel W. Sickles, 1863-1951 who married Orvetta H.? Does anyone know her maiden name? Thank you all.
Sussex Independent-April24,1914
Old Man Drowns In Canal- Obituary

Jessie Sickles, eighty years old, a Civil War veteran , of Stanhope, was drowned Sunday afternoon in the Morris Canal at the foot of the Port Morris plane. Mr. Sickles had been to visit his sister- in-law , Mrs. Robert Sickles, of Port Morris, and on his return sat by the side of the canal and fell in. He was the subject of fainting spells and it is supposed that the heat of Sunday caused a recurrance of them. when found the body had been in the water more than an hour.

Re: Jesse Sickles

Posted: 31 Oct 2004 2:43AM GMT
Surnames: Sickles, Smith, Best, Masters
Jesse Sickles married Matilda Best 1839-1877. dau of George E Best 1818-1886 and Mary Hamilton.

Elizabeth Smith is Jacob's 2nd wife abt 1839. I hve not yet found a marriage certificate for them.

Elizabeth's obit: "The Stanhope Eagle", Wed., April 20, 1910
"Mrs. Elizabeth Sickels died at the home of her daughter Mrs. Phoebe Pierce on Allen St., Netcong, on Sunday morning at the extreme old age of one hundred and three years, eight months and twelve days, having as near as can be found been born August 5, 1806. The late Elias Sickels of Stanhope and Robert Sickels of Port Morris were also her sons. Her maiden name was Smith and she had always been a resident of this locality. The funeral services were held this morning with interment in Stanhope Union Cemetery"

Elizabeth and Jacob are my 4gparents.

Tom Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2004 10:30PM GMT
Thank you so ever much for the info. on Jesse Sickles. Does anyone know if Jacob Sickles and George Sickles are siblings. I found George buried in Sparta Cem., the father of William and John Sickles. My BRICK WALL is my 2gr grandmother, Phoebe Sickles, born abt 1815, married to Joel Decker. Can't find a death date on her anywhere. Sure would appreciate any help or advice.

Posted: 1 Nov 2004 3:58AM GMT
Surnames: Sickles, Smith, Best, Masters
I havent found Jacob's parents yet. I dont have his death date either. I know that he died sometime after 1870. He was on the 1870 census record in Roxbury.

How is Phoebe related to Jacob, if at all.

Posted: 1 Nov 2004 9:40PM GMT
I have no proof on the relationship of Jacob and Pheobe Sickles. One assumption is that Jacob and George Sickles b-Feb22,1791 d-Apr2,1877, are brothers and that Phoebe is the daughter of George. I know that John Sickles is the son of George and Amy through his death cert., and in all the census Phoebe and John are always living close to one another.. I found Phoebe in the 1880 census but can't find her in the 1885 state census. . I had a search done1880-1885 for a death cert. and came up empty.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions