Search for content in message boards

george r armstrong toronto/barrie

george r armstrong toronto/barrie

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 7:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Mar 2012 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: armstrong
researching george r armstrong born in galway 1977 emigrated to canada in the early 1900s he was living in 51 ascot ave toronto when his mother catherine armstrong passed away in 1921 in barrie simcoe his father edward born 1842 in offaly ireland died 1918 barrie ,his mother catherine reidy was from graigues kilcornan limerick ireland born 1848, i was hoping someone may have some info on george
regards ivan

Re: george r armstrong toronto/barrie

Posted: 3 Apr 2012 5:42AM GMT
The online telephone book for Galway shows 6 armstrongs
83 Reidy, Limerick
1 Reidy, Offaly
1 Armstrong, Offaly
Addresses given are sufficient for mail delivery.

In 1854 Offally, there were a number of Armstrong's, your Edward would of been too young to have occupied his own land.
John and Andrew Armstrong's were people of means as they owned their own land, very unusual for the times. Any idea of Edward's father's name?

In 1852 Limerick there were 5 Reidy's in Kilcornan Parish,
Ellen, Daniel and Michaelx3.

No Edward Armstrongs in Offaly/Kings.

Edward Armstrong and Catherine Reidy had a son John 27 November, 1875 Woodford, Galway LDS FHL Film#2559342

This CD has Galway records for Armstrongs from 1865 to 1875
only. This has been replaced by the website:

www.familysearch.org Parents Edward Armstrong & Catherine
Reidy/Reedy*

George Armstrong born 13 Dec, 1877 Edward Armstrong and
Catherine Reidy #C00777-7

William Armstrong born 30 June, 1880 #C00639-1/256061

Catherine* 25 Oct, 1876 Woodford #C00709-0/255965

Elizabeth 02 May 1879 Woodford #C00562-2/256030

William A. Armstrong died 04 July 1921 Wentworth, Ontario age 38,born 1883 #4171538
Parents Edward Armstrong & Catherine Reidy

Did not find a marriage but there were lots of Catherine Reidy's.

Did not find either George or Edward nor a Catherine in the 1901/1911 Census, maybe you could take a better look
www.census.nationalarchives.ie

ps.Went through a number of death records on www.familysearch
but didn't find George.

Annette Code

Posted: 3 Apr 2012 12:12PM GMT
hi annette edwards father was joseph,which is down as on the marraige cert 1875 kilcornan co.limerick

i found them in 1901 cesus living in ballinderry ballybroder,westmeath and edwards home county was kings co they emigrated abt 1908 there not on the 1911 census of ireland but are on the canadain census,iv a feeling the eldest of this family emigrated a little earlier .there was 13 children rather large family.
im trying to find any connection with the boys if there is any familys of the armstrongs from there decendants
the reidys were michaels family catherine is a daughter of his who would have been my great great aunt
thanks once again for your help

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 9:04PM GMT
Just read your posting. George R Armstrong was my paternal grandfather. He married Ethel Frances Stoker and they had 5 children, one of whom died in infancy. My father, Herbert Stoker Armstrong was the 4th child. He was born in Canada in 1915, and died in 1993. George was 93 when he died, as was Ethel.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 9:15PM GMT
hello thanks for your info im researching this family as my great great grand aunt was married to edward armstrong, like so many they emigrated to make a better life,thanks alot for youre help george had several brothers and sisters,some i have found info on
thanks again ivan reidy

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 7:19PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2012 8:17PM GMT
hi ms armstrong i found ethel frances stoker born 1879 longford ireland married george armstrong in 1908 according to the 1911 irish census they were living in dublin had a son george lionel born abt 1909 and a daughter eva kathleen, born abt august 1910, were the two other children born in canada or ireland
regards ivan

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 1:14PM GMT
Surnames: Armstrong
Just a few days ago I came across your posting re your Grandfather George Armsatrong. Amazingly, I had earlier that evening been looking through a letter which your Father Herb sent to my Mother in 1985. My Mother was Alice Good. Her Mother was Elizabeth Good (nee Armstrong). Elizabeth was a sister of your Father and so your Father and my Mother were first cousins (which means that you and I are also cousins). I have no contact with any of the Armsrrong family since my Mother's death in 1999 and would like to make contact. There are many things about our great-grandparents which I should love to explore!
Kenneth Irvine

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 4:16PM GMT
hi kenneth nice to hear from you im researching the family of edward armstrong & catherine reidy who emigrated to barrie abt 1908 edward was an retired royal irish constabulary sargeant,catherine died 1921 barrie george is down next of kin, there was 13 children an george r & ELIZABETH armstrong is just two i have the names and date of births of the other eleven,iv made contact with a grandson of george, herbert stoker is his father
catherine reidy was a sister of my late great granfather nehemiah reidy you can email me ivanwilton@gmail.com i would like some more dialogue on the armstrongs

best wishes ivan reidy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic