Search for content in message boards

John Legrand Dickson(Darlington, SC), Elias J. Dixon(SC, AL)

John Legrand Dickson(Darlington, SC), Elias J. Dixon(SC, AL)

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 1:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information/descendants of John Legrand Dickson (b.1803) of Darlington, SC and his brother Elias J. Dixon (b.1802) who is on the 1850 Covington, AL census. I have some info and will be happy to share.

Ddw1025@aol.com

Donna Dixon Walker

Re: John Legrand Dickson(Darlington, SC), Elias J. Dixon(SC, AL)

Posted: 17 Oct 2004 10:23PM GMT
John Legrand Dickson was my grandmothers grandfather his son was William Henry Dickson.. Her brother was named Elias. There were 8 children descended from William Henry Dickson and Margaret Eudora Howell. Gramma was the seventh child. She had a younger brother Hilton. I have the rest of them if you want them. Gramma was Ann Marie (Mary Ann) in the 1900 census. She had to use the census info to get her social security. She married Charles Hays McClure II. They had four children. My mother Mary Isobel McClure was the oldest. They have a lot of descendents. My mother is 83. Her brother Charles is 82. Her brother James is 80. Their sister Sarah died at 65 from a heart condition caused from rheumatic fever that she had as a child. Thanks Carole

Donna Walker (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2004 1:14AM GMT
Hi Carole,

Sorry about the late reply, I just found your post. I think we emailed a few months ago, I sent you the letter written by your William Henry Dickson in the 1930's. There is reference to another letter that I have not found, but Mary Jo Jones has donated her research to the Clarendon Co.,SC archives and there may be a copy in her papers. Her husband's line is through John Legrand's oldest son Elias Evander.

My great grandfather was William Henry Dixon (1875-1914) from the Darlington/Florence area. His father was Robert and I believe they may have changed the name from Dickson. My William Henry married Maggie Broach.

I have some more info on John Legrand including his children's baptism dates. You probably know his maternal line through the Wilsons has been documented very well but no one has been able to find out about the early Dicksons.

Did your mother or her brothers grow up in SC? Are you still in touch with any of your Dicksons? Maybe they would know if they were related to my line of Dixons. I will email you the info on John Legrand if you would like. Thanks so much for your reply.

Donna
ddw1025@aol.com

Posted: 26 Nov 2004 5:30AM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2006 6:57PM GMT
I am a Dixon. My line starts with one Archabald Dickson. My line is from Darlington/Chesterfield Co, SC . Would you like to compare information? I will put you in my address book, since i hardly ever look at these boards. Please reply direct. Thank You. Jean Frost

Posted: 26 Nov 2004 7:06AM GMT
Edited: 22 Dec 2004 5:48AM GMT
Dear Carol,
Do you know who John Legrand Dickson's parents are? I believe your family line may be descendants of Walter Dixon, Sr. of Pitt Co., N.C. who was born in about 1682 and died in March, 1767 in Pitt Co., N.C. I am a descendant of Walter Dixon, Sr. of Pitt Co., N.C. and think we may be distantly related.

I'd love to hear from you soon!

Blessings,

Suzy Dixon Bennett

Posted: 15 May 2005 9:42PM GMT
Yes, John's father is James Dickson/Dixon. His mother was Ann Agnes Wilson. She is a directly descended from John Knox the reformer.

Suzy Dixon Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2005 4:44AM GMT
Surnames: Dixon
Dear Carole,

I several documents with an Elias Dixon on them that was related to John Legrand Dixon. I have good reason to believe that John Legrand Dixon was a descendant of Walter Dixon, Sr. of Pitt county, N.C. Walter Dixon, Sr. was born about 1695 and died on March 7, 1767.

I cannot figure out how James Dickson/Dixon ties into the line. I think you mentioned in your previous e-mail that he was the father of John Legrand Dixon. My next question is who was James Dickson's father and mother?

Do you know if or how John Legrand Dixon relates to John O'Quinn Dixon? John O'quinn Dixon was married to Margaret Huggins the daughter of John Huggins and Elizabeth White Simmons. They were from the Sumter District of South Carolina. They were residents of South Carolina from 1785 to 1850.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your kindness.

Respectfully yours,
Suzy Dixon Bennett

Posted: 19 Jun 2010 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: Dixon, Ansley
My 2nd great grandmother, Amelia James Dixon Ansley, had a brother named William Legrand Columbus John Dixon. He was born 10 June 1832 in South Carolina. William LCJ Dixon emigrated to Milam County, Texas about 1851 with his sister and her husband, Joshua T. Ansley. He served with Hood's Brigade in the Civil War and died in Texas in 1876.

Your post lists a John Legrand Dixon and I cannot help but believe that there is a connection here. I woould love to work with you to find one.

Thank you

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 9:02PM GMT
Hi Carol,
It appears LeGrand(e) is a popular name with the Dixon's. I have a Dixon uncle with the middle name of Legrand but he's not sure why his parents used it. There was also a Rivers LeGrande Dixon b. abt. 1845 in Sumter, SC. He descends from the Abel Dixon line out of Beaufort/Pitt Co., NC. I have not been able to make a connection with John LeGrand Dickson from Darlington or the early Dixon's from Sumter.
The name Amelia was used in one of the Dixon lines from Kershaw Co., SC. If you want to email me I'll be happy to work with you.
Donna

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 10:03PM GMT
These Dixon's descend from Walter Dixon of Pitt County, NC.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic