Search for content in message boards

John Blum/ Anna Shute Chicago. IL

John Blum/ Anna Shute Chicago. IL

Bambi (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2002 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blum/ Shute
Help! I am looking for any info on my great grandparents. I have their deaths as Aug 1945 and June 1941. I do not know any siblings or their places of birth. They had Leo, Therese, John Michael, Lorriane, Marion, and Danny as their children. If you are connected or can help me that would be great. I hope to hear from someone soon. I think they are buried in Chicago, IL under a Shute plot. That fact is not verified yet.

Re: John Blum/ Anna Shute Chicago. IL

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 3:09AM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2004 5:56PM GMT
John and Anna Blum are buried in the Shute plot at Calvary Cemetary in Evanston IL. I don't any information on the Blum family. I know the children were split up when the parents died. They were my father's cousins. I remember going to Theresa's home once and going to a Blum wedding when I was very small but the family seemed to drift apart.

Anna was the daughter of John Shute and Emma Kriening and her actual name was Johanna. She was born in October 1897 and died in June 1942. (John Blum was buried 3/20/1945. Johanna had 12 brothers and sisters but most did not live to adulthood. The siblings were Thomas Edward 3/1899-9/1890, Arthur Joseph 10/1890 - 5/1892, Joseph May 1892 -1929, Margaret 9/1894 - 4/1897, Michael 8/1896 - March 1897, Johanna, Lucille 12/1899 - not sure date of death, Mary 4/1902 -6/1902, Stephen 8/1903 - 10/1963(my grandfather),Jerome 9/1905 - 7/1946, Walter 5/1907 - 9/1907, Irene 5/1907 - 12/1909 and John 10/1909 - 2/1976.
Johanna, Joseph, Lucille, Stephen, and Jerome all had children. John married but had no children.
Johanna's grandparents were Thomas and Catherine Shute who both born in Ireland. They had three children as far as we have been able to find out - Michael, John and Catherine. Catherine died in her 20's. Michael married and had children also but we have no contact with that branch of the family.
We have not been very successful in finding information on the Shute family. There do not seem to be a lot of records for them and the records there are do not have a lot of information.
John Shute was living with Anna Blum when he died in 1938 and at the time she was the informant for the death certificate. The death certificate shows that Thomas Shute was from Cork Ireland but we have not been able to confirm this. Thomas and Catherine's children were born in New York City.
We don't have much more information on the Shute's.

Bambi (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2002 8:42PM GMT
Oh my gosh!!
Thank you for the info. May I ask who you are? I have been searching for a link of any kind to my family tree.How long did it take you to get all your information? Do you know when the Shutes came to the USA from Ireland?

My husband and I are going to Ireland (Cork County) next week for a vacation and to do some record searching. I hope to retreive some info on the Shutes too now. I'd love to get more info if you'd be willing to share.
I look so forward in hearing from you as soon as you can.

Thanks so much,
Bambi

Posted: 27 Nov 2002 1:11AM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2004 5:56PM GMT
We have no confirmation of the town in Ireland or the date the Shute's came. Family legends suggest it may have been Cork. The children of Thomas and Catherine were born in New York the earliest that we know of is Michael in about 1849 or 1850. We have some unconfirmed information that Thomas was naturalized in New York County Court in 1848. This would mean he was in the US for some time before 1848. We also found a record that listed him at S. T. Shute which may mean that Thomas is not his first name. We don't have a lot of confirmed information.
We started with a cemetary deed from Calvary Cemetary which came into my father's possesion after my grandmother died. It was sold to Thomas Shute in 1879 and was so intriguing it gave us a starting point. Also my father's cousin had some information from her aunt, Lucy, (Anne Blum's sister). My grandfather was Stephen. Stephen was Anne's younger brother. Most of my dad's generation are getting up in years and there was not a lot of family information passed on between generation. I believe because there were quite a few sons and there was no real interest in family history.
If you would like to e-mail me directly that would be fine.
Judy Shute

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 3:01PM GMT
Surnames: Blum
I believe my Great-Grandfathers name was John, but not sure if married to Anna. They did live somewhere in the Chicago/Hammond IN area. They had 5 Children Robert, Arthur, John, Otto (my Grandfather) and a daughter. Both parents died (influenza I believe) leaving the children orphaned. They were all split up and sent to live with various members of the same family (Arbogast).

Posted: 26 Dec 2006 4:56PM GMT
This is not the same family. The children's names are not correct.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions