Search for content in message boards

Hawley families at Gratiot, Michigan from Ontario, Canada

Hawley families at Gratiot, Michigan from Ontario, Canada

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 6:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hawley, Sanderson, Hough, Barrager, Sharp, Diamond, Brock, Johnson

I am trying to find the families of origin for some Hawley people who lived in Gratiot County, Michigan. There is a George Hawley born about 1844 in Canada married to a Sarah Sanderson. LDS info as submitted by Douglas Gardner of Utah states this George was the son of a William Hawley and "Kate". Same George Hawley had a son William Curtis Hawley born 1876 in Canada but who was also living in Michigan.

So my question is- is this George Hawley the same man as son of William John Curtis Hawley and his wife Elizabeth Ann Barrager?

I have this George (son of William and Elizabeth Ann) married to Alice J. Hough (born 1846) on Dec. 25, 1864 in Lennox and Addington County, Ontario, Canada; she was the daughter of Duncan Henry Hough and Lucy Ann Sharp. Alice re-married to Lorne Spencer in Dec. 1882. I always wondered what happened to George Hawley- did he re-marry to Sarah Sanderson and move to the USA?

LDS info states the George Hawley in question died October 1917 at Alma, Gratiot, Michigan.

Another Hawley man who died at exact same place and who is a mystery was John C. Hawley, who may have been John Curtis Hawley. He was born about 1831-1833 in Ontario, Canada, some researchers have his dob as Jan. 4, 1833.

If this is the man I think he was, his wife was Flora Ann Diamond who was born May 4, 1831 to Baltus Diamond and Eunice Hough at South Fredericksburgh, Ontario. Flora Ann died July 25, 1872 in Ontario.

The 1871 census gives names of 5 children for this couple:
1871 Census of Canada
Name: Hester A Hawley
Birth Year: abt 1858
Birth Place: Ontario
Religion: W Methodist
Origin: German
Province: Ontario
District: Lennox
District Number: 63
Division: 01
Subdistrict: Fredericksburgh South
Subdistrict Number: b
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age

John C Hawley 40
Flora A Hawley 38
Charles L Hawley 15
Hester A Hawley 13
John F Hawley 9
Addie M Hawley 7
William H Hawley 5

Another daughter Nellie Hawley was born in 1872. She is listed online as having married Stephen Bennett about 1895.

The daughter Hester A. Hawley is listed as having married Charles N. Sharp on Oct. 25, 1877 in Ontario. However, Hester A. is on 1900 census at Arcada, Gratiot, Michigan with her husband Arthur BROCK and 4 children, the 3 eldest of whom were born in Canada. I cannot find them on the 1881 census in Canada and they should be there. Perhaps Charles Sharp died not too long after his marriage to Hester and she re-married to Arthur?

1900 United States Federal Census
Name: John C Halley
Home in 1900: Arcada, Gratiot, Michigan
Birth Date: Jan 1833
Birthplace: Canada
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1882
Relationship to Head of House: Father-in-law
Father's Birthplace: Canada
Mother's Birthplace: Canada
Marriage Year: 1854
Marital Status: Widowed
Years Married: 46

Household Members: Name Age

Arthur W Brock 45 (born Canada)
Hester A Brock 42 (born Canada)
Elton Brock 20 (born Canada)
Arthar Brock 18 (born Canada)
Lula M Brock 15 (born Canada)
Dallas G Brock 7 (born Michigan
John C Halley 67 (see above)
Jennie Fallick 47 (Servant)

I cannot find John C. Hawley on the 1861 or 1851 census in Ontario. Where was he?

I don't know yet what happened to Charles L., John F., or Addie, three other children of John C. and Flora. One other son was William H. Hawley who died about March 6, 1900 at Mount Pleasant, Isabella County, Michigan. He was married and may have had children. There is a woman listed as being a widow, (I cannot make out her first name), in Isabella County in 1900 with daughters Flora and Dora- could she be widow of William H. Hawley?

Because this family moved to the USA after 1880-1881, a lot of vital info is needed from 1890, but that USA census is not available.

Back to John C. Hawley (who died at Alma, Gratiot, Michigan)and a possible relationship between him and the George Hawley who died at Alma, Gratiot County, Michigan in 1917....were they brothers?

William John Curtis Hawley was born about 1805, his wife Elizabeth Barrager was born 1811. When did they get married? I only have names of 3 children for them born between 1841 and 1848- did they have several other children born as early as 1830 perhaps? Was John C. Hawley their son? Was Elizabeth also known as "Kate"? If not, was William John Curtis Hawley married to someone else first named Kate or Catherine?

If anyone has info please post here or write to me directly.

William John Curtis Hawley born July 1805 was a younger brother to one of my own ancestors: David or Davis Hawley born January 1800, sons of Sheldon Hawley 1768-1827 and his wife Hannah Johnston/Johnson 1769-1862.

Thanks from Nora

Re: Hawley families at Gratiot, Michigan from Ontario, Canada

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 8:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Check out our county genealogical society. They have a lot of Hawley family members posted and will be able to furnish copies of anything you request. Check www.gchgs.org. If you need further help from Gratiot County just post it.

Carola
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions