Search for content in message boards

Smith

Posted: 17 Apr 2012 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
I am looking for information on a John W Smith, born (supposedly) in Hants County about 1824. He married Agnes M. from either Maine or Massachusetts. He shows up in the 1850 census in Massachusetts and then in the 1891 Canadian census in Hants (sub distrinct Court House). Both reports say that he and both his parents were born in Nova Scotia. I know there were several Smith families in the Hants area but am not finding anything further. Any information or help from anybody would be greatly appreciated.
Posted: 18 Apr 2012 10:48AM GMT
He could possibly be a son or grandson of Pvt. John SMITH of the 84th Regt.(Royal Highland Emigrants). He & the Regt., (2nd Bn.), were disbanded at Ft. Edward, Windsor on 10 Oct 1783. If you "connect" to this, please let me know as I am still doing research on the regiment etc.
Posted: 18 Apr 2012 3:29PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH BOWES
I have a MARIA SMITH who married Richard Fouquet Bowes, Windsor in the early 1800s. The 1838 Windsor census has them listed.

Re: Smith

Posted: 19 Apr 2012 8:32PM GMT
Winkycherry: Thanks for the possible lead. Do you know if the 1838 Hants census is online anywhere?
Posted: 19 Apr 2012 8:47PM GMT
I don't know.
I do know Richard Fouquet Bowes died at sea and Maria married his older brother.
Try West Hants Historical Society in Windsor Nova Scotia.
Posted: 14 Jul 2012 1:27AM GMT
hello by any chance do you know what the w in his name stands for.does aggie have a maiden name.are you sure of these dates

Re: Smith

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 4:14PM GMT
Do not know what the W. stands for. His first son was named William so perhaps that's the W?
John and Agnes consistently listed their ages in the 1850 U.S. census (in Massachusetts) and in the 1871,81,and 91 Windsor, Nova Scotia censuses. Unless they were fibbing, John W was born 1823 or 24 and Agnes was 1826 or 27. I couldn't find a death record for either but they don't appear in the 1901 census that I could find. He also consistently listed his birthplace as Nova Scotia, and both his parents being born in Nova Scotia. In one census, he listed his religious affiliation as Presbyterian Church of the Lower Provences, and in another, he listed his ancestry as English.
He also identified himself as a boot and shoemaker, sometimes also a leather merchant, and in 1891 as a night watchman.
As far as Aggie goes, I have no idea-any Agnes that I found born in Maine around that era seems to be accounted for elsewhere so she remains a mystery.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic