Search for content in message boards

William John Ross Bain

William John Ross Bain

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 10:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bain
Does anyone know of this person, born Edinburgh 10th July 1918. Died 16th September 2004 in New Jersey.

Re: William John Ross Bain

Posted: 17 Dec 2011 10:52AM GMT
Hi,
There was a William Bain, aged 12, on the CALEDONIA, sailing from Glasgow to New York, departing 26 Sept 1930.
Estimated date of birth 1918.

Also with him was someone named And Bain (probably Andrew), who was under twelve. And there was an Isa
Bain, aged 26, born 1904. They had all come from the same address: 7 Creighton St, Leith [which is on the outskirts of Edinburgh]

Just one puzzle.... if Isa is 26, then she probably isn't the mother of the two children, because William is 12.

Brian, Glasgow.

Posted: 17 Dec 2011 3:47PM GMT
Hi
Thank you so much for this information which I have been looking for. Isabella Bain was born in 1894. She and William went to America in 1924 to join her husband and Andrew was born sometime later. Just this year I have traced descendants who have told me that they had returned for a time.
Delighted to get another piece of information.
Jean, Elgin

Posted: 17 Dec 2011 8:02PM GMT
Jean,
There was actually an arrival at Glasgow from New York on the TRANSYLVANIA on 1st Dec 1930.

Isabella Bain Aged 35
William Bain 11
Andrew Bain 4

They were going to 7 Crighton St, Edinburgh. I've been unable to find a ship taking them back to New York after this date. ...It should be there somewhere though,

Brian

Posted: 17 Dec 2011 8:17PM GMT

Found it! Arrived New York 5th Oct 1930 on CALEDONIA.

Isabella Bain Aged 36 Born Leith
William John Ross Bain Aged 12 Born Leith
Andrew George Bain Aged 5 Born Camden, USA.

They were going to Camden.

Brian

Posted: 17 Dec 2011 11:53PM GMT
Hi Martin,
My goodness...there I have it...all in one day.
A thousand thanks.
Jean

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 5:04PM GMT
I have been working on this information which you kindly sent which says the family came over on TRANSYLVANIA on 1/12/1930 and returned on CALEDONIA on 5/10/1930. Am I right in thinking that the return journey would have been in 1931?
Jean

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 5:52PM GMT
Hi,
I checked those dates and I see what you mean....the CALEDONIA left Glasgow 26th Sept 1930 and arrived New York 5th Oct 1930, then they came to Glasgow again, arriving 1st Dec 1930 on TRANSYLVANIA. ...I looked at the ships passenger lists again and the dates are right, so this means there must have been another voyage back to New York.

I don't see it after a quick search, but I will look again.

Brian
per page

Find a board about a specific topic